Pages

Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Kose Addiction by Ayako eyeshadow swatches

Apologies for the rag-tag order of these and the dodgy lighting -- all swatches were made at various counters in Tokyo and Osaka and most pics taken in store lighting.

Labelling was done during bouts of insomnia and I apologise for any misnomers. You can see the proper shade names on the Addiction site. For more information about this exclusive-to-Japan brand, see glossedintranslation, who also has a wider range of swatches. and red hair. and frankly, an excess of pretty.

I've supplemented the pictures with some shade descriptions if I felt that certain nuances weren't showing up, or if the actual finishes differed quite a bit from the official categories of M(atte), ME(tallic), P(earl) or S(parkle). Feel free to send any further questions by email or comment form and I'll try my best to answer them.

swatch Addiction eyeshadow 042P Screen, 043P Yesterday, 044P Tiny Dancer, 032ME North Star, 034P Cigarette, 027P Concrete Jungle, 001M Paper Doll, 002P Sugar Angel, 003S Snow Magic, 004S Snow Bouquet, 005S Snow Bird, 006S Snow Venus, 007M Beige

swatch Addiction eyeshadow 042P Screen, 043P Yesterday, 044P Tiny Dancer, 032ME North Star, 034P Cigarette, 027P Concrete Jungle, 001M Paper Doll, 002P Sugar Angel 
042P Screen
043P Yesterday
044P Tiny Dancer -- satin grey base with pink microshimmer
032ME North Star
034P Cigarette
027P Concrete Jungle -- actually a barely satin matte
001M Paper Doll -- this was the smoothest of all the Addiction mattes
002P Sugar Angel 

swatch Addiction eyeshadow 003S Snow Magic, 004S Snow Bouquet, 005S Snow Bird, 006S Snow Venus, 007M Beige
003S Snow Magic -- clear gel-cream base with red, pink and silver glitter suspended in it
004S Snow Bouquet (not Banquet, wtf brain?) -- ditto, with pink, purple and gunmetal grey glitter
005S Snow Bird -- ditto, yellowy gold, pale green and pink glitter
006S Snow Venus -- ditto, cool gold, silver and pink glitter
007M Beige -- actually a very finely milled satin with more glow than Concrete Jungle (P)


swatch Addiction eyeshadow 031ME Neverland, 025M Alice, 026M Missa, 028ME Shangri-La, 029ME Arabian Ruby, 050P Mystic Mirage, 051M Midnight Oasis, 045P Bad Romance,  023P Star Vega, 024P Star Sirius, 022P Stardust, 021ME Crow, 020P Keshi, 019M Joker

swatch Addiction eyeshadow 031ME Neverland, 025M Alice, 026M Missa, 028ME Shangri-La, 029ME Arabian Ruby, 050P Mystic Mirage, 051M Midnight Oasis, 045P Bad Romance
031ME Neverland -- intense metallic blackened green
025M Alice
026M Missa -- tricky texture, needed 4 swipes to look even
028ME Shangri-La 
029ME Arabian Ruby -- drier and patchier than other Addiction ME shades
050P Mystic Mirage -- a slightly gritty rose pink with silver glitter
051M Midnight Oasis -- not quite as uncompromisingly matte as Nars Outremer but superior in every other way
045P Bad Romance

swatch Addiction eyeshadow 023P Star Vega, 024P Star Sirius, 022P Stardust, 021ME Crow, 020P Keshi, 019M Joker
023P Star Vega -- matte black base with warm violet glitter (drier and chalkier than the next two)
024P Star Sirius -- matte black base with blue glitter
022P Stardust -- ditto, silver glitter
021ME Crow -- sadly most of this shade's complexity stays in the pan
020P Keshi -- a grey-based, slightly less intense cousin to Crow
019M Joker -- neutral-warm matte black (Chimney is the cooler, sootier option). Disregard stray glitter pollution.


swatch Addiction eyeshadow 033ME Morning Moon, 047P Out of Africa, 048P Safari Mode, 040M Chimney, 041P Twig, 013M Truffle, 014M Chocolat, 016P Dolce Vita, 017ME Fudge,   008ME Ice Wall, 010P Magic Flute, 011P Sandbar

swatch Addiction eyeshadow 033ME Morning Moon, 047P Out of Africa, 048P Safari Mode, 040M Chimney, 041P Twig, 013M Truffle, 014M Chocolat, 016P Dolce Vita, 017ME Fudge
033ME Morning Moon
047P Out of Africa 
048P Safari Mode -- like Out of Africa, a beautifully smooth satin
040M Chimney -- cooler matte black than Joker, with slightly smoother texture
041P Twig
013M Truffle -- beautiful smooth-textured warm brown
014M Chocolat -- difficult to swatch evenly, a little dry
016P Dolce Vita
017ME Fudge -- the best texture out of all the Addiction eyeshadows I felt -- molten creamy bronze

swatch Addiction eyeshadow 013M Truffle, 014M Chocolat, 016P Dolce Vita, 017ME Fudge,  008ME Ice Wall, 010P Magic Flute, 011P Sandbar
Truffle, Chocolat, Dolce Vita and Fudge again (because neutrals can be sexy)
008ME Ice Wall -- palest cool ivory metallic
010P Magic Flute -- beautiful subtle-yet-sophisticated satin, somewhat overshadowed by...
011P Sandbar -- there is an exquisite and complex sheen to this in real life, a platonic lid shade. 


swatch Addiction eyeshadow 035P Thriller, 030ME Flash Back, 049P Singita, 015P Nostalgia, 018P Baghdad Café, 009P Sandcastles, 012ME Rigoletto
035P Thriller -- dark green with silver, blue and red glitter
030ME Flash Back -- glorious neutral taupe. My introduction to the brand and the reason Addiction was at the top of my counters-to-check-out-in-Japan list.
049P Singita 
015P Nostalgia -- warm peachy-brown with silver glitter (somewhat gritty)
018P Baghdad Café
009P Sandcastles
012ME Rigoletto -- another pitch-perfect shade name in a brand full of 'em

(I missed out Earth Wind. Please don't whip me -- I have this condition, blindness-to-warm-browns.)

UPDATE: I swatched the Autumn 2011 Aurora Reflection eyeshadows (which join the permanent line-up) here, and reswatched the shades I own (Concrete Jungle, Flash Back, Fudge, Neverland and Sandbar) here.

19 comments:

  1. I didn't see this. I didn't see this. I didn't see this. I didn't see this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a comprehensive swatch post of Addiction e/s for some time! Thank you! I love that you include your observations on nuances and textures. A lot of other blogs don't write about them and these details are very important to me.

    I have some questions to ask (sorry, I've got quite a few, but take your time!)

    1) Do you experience fall out with their glittery shadows?

    2) Are all MEs smooth or are there some duds?

    3) Which ones looked particularly unique to you (and at the same time, have decent textures)? Tiny Dancer, Pink Python (based on your haul photo), and Thriller look interesting. Anything else I should add to this list?

    I cannot thank you enough for these swatches :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! These are amazing swatches, I think you've done a lot of people a huge service by swatching them all, I still think Arabian Ruby is the prettiest :).

    Thank you for linking to me, and you're clearly too blinded by the red hair to see how squiffy my face is!

    :*

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, thank's so much :** I need at leat 10 e/s, they (almost) all look cool toned, that is so great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (bastet on MUA) Gosh, MUS, I love you for swatching the Addiction e/s. But darn it, now I need like 20 more of them. *arghl*

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so helpful, thank you! I'd better start writing a list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow thank you so much for the swatches! So helpful! :)

    anaurachicbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uhmmmmm.... Yes, please??? Flash Back... *jaw hits floor* So many jewels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for fellow makeup junkies I can share these with :D

    Anonymous: Thank you for your kind words!
    1. I think as a rule of thumb, the more distinct the glitter is from the base shade, the likelier fallout will be. From my haul, I experienced minor fallout with Horizon and Ice Storm -- but bear in mind I have very dry skin and didn't use a base. Fallout is frequently an issue for me when it doesn't seem to be for other reviewers.

    2. All of them are smooth and ME is definitely the most consistently great Addiction texture, but some (Fudge) stand out as being even greater :)

    3. Exactly those you mentioned, and Blue Moon too. I found Thriller a little dry for my personal preferences (but not gritty). Out of Africa and Safari Mode are not as showy but actually very unusual dusty greens. IRL the sheen to Magic Flute and Sandbar sets them apart from other beiges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a star and an enabler. I'll need a bigger credit card limit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so darn helpful and enabling at the same time! >.<
    I'll be printing this off for inspirational wallpaper ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome swatches!
    Currently, I have Flash back and Arabian Ruby and Blue Moon.
    This is very helpful for me to decide on the other colors I want to get! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where do you start- what would your top picks be to start with Addiction- are these better than Nars/ Suqqu?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's impossible to answer really :/ Nars textures do not work for me at all -- I'd rate them lower than the majority drugstore lines. And Suqqu is entirely different, much more refined and subtly complex -- older ones are drier, newer ones are extremely creamy -- while Addiction has half a dozen different formulas and finishes within the line too.

      Delete
  14. I got Sandbar because of thiis post! And I love it (very close to my skintone but gives a very polished look). Next, I wanted to try something a little lighter, though, maybe more shimmery. I was considering Sandcastles or Rigoletto--do you have any additional comments about either of those? Or any suggestions for me? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am personally not a fan of the texture of either of those -- they aren't shimmery but very large glitters suspended in a clearish base. Your mileage may vary, of course :)

      Delete
    2. Do you have any recommendations for something a bit lighter, maybe shimmery? In another brand, even?

      Delete
    3. I'm afraid I tend to be a palette girl, but for singles, maybe RBR Unforgettable Oriole or Shu Uemura IR811 or 911? RBR loose pigment in Sleeping Under a Mandarin Tree is also gorgeous.

      Delete
    4. Oh, I've got Unforgettable Oriole, I'll try that pairing! Thanks! I'll have to check out Sleeping Under a Mandarin Tree...

      Delete