Pages

Thursday, 24 November 2011

By Terry Foundation comparision swatches -- paler shades

Those who frequent makeupalley might know that earlier this year, I embarked on a slightly deranged scheme to swatch the paler shades of foundation from as many brands as I can get my hands on. Here is a belated comparison of the two new foundations from ByTerry (Cover Expert and Sheer Expert) with the rest of the line.

Patter summary (in case those links threw you into a where's-my-big-red-pen tailspin): Both foundations retail for £44 for a 35ml squeeze-tube and are imbued with "the futuristic I.M.C® Technology (Intensive Mimetic Camouflage)," hyaluronic acid and other unspecified "regenerating active ingredients." Both promise a 'velvet' matte-yet-light-diffusing finish with shine control and moisturisation suitable for all skintypes. Cover Expert offers more coverage.

My first impressions: the scent is very strong and very sweet rose with a hefty dose of powder. (If you're familiar with the ByTerry line, it is the powdery roses of the Blush Velouté rather than the cleaner tea roses of the skincare.) Both foundations had a great deal of silicone-y slip and texture-wise are somewhere between Armani Face Fabric foundations and Becca Beach Tints; both set completely matte on my dry skin.

I can't comment further because the shade range starts off too dark -- much darker than that of the recently-discontinued Lumiere Veloutée, which provided my only near-match in the line.

natural light
foundation swatch By Terry ByTerry Cover Expert 1 Fair Beige Cover Expert 2 Neutral Beige Sheer Expert 1 Fair Beige Sheer Expert 2 Neutral Beige Teint Délectation 1 Milky Vanilla Touche Veloutée concealer pen 1 Porcelain Light Expert foundation brush 101 Beige Light Light Expert foundation brush 1 Rosy Light

Left to Right:
Chantecaille Future Skin Porcelain (as a reference, because Chante was the next counter over)
The rest are all ByTerry:
Cover Expert 1 Fair Beige
Cover Expert 2 Neutral Beige
Sheer Expert 1 Fair Beige
Sheer Expert 2 Neutral Beige
Teint Délectation 1 Milky Vanilla
Touche Veloutée concealer pen 1 Porcelain
Light Expert foundation brush 101 Beige Light
Light Expert foundation brush 1 Rosy Light

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for these, I was actually going to order the lightest shade in the sheer expert next month, but I think now that might be too dark for me, well I think you have saved me some money! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replica, the sheers might offer more leeway once blended, but definitely one to try before you buy if possible! The texture / scent seemed the most 'challenging' aspects of this foundation to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hm, too dark and too matte - not good:( btw have you tried the addiction powder foundation? I am breaking out from any liquid foundation for some reason and my lunasol order is still not here (I think it got lost *grrr*) the postal system here sucks, really!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire, I have not but glossedintranslation loves it I believe.
    You've had such bad luck with the post lately :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tried the new BT Sheer and Cover. Wow- they smell really awful. So disappointed, though got a sample of Eclat de Rose, which has her better rose fragrance. Verdict is out- it feels nice, but not sure the minimal coverage warrants the steep price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this. This is the most recent fdtn launch I've been interested in for ages. Thx too for swatches :)

    ReplyDelete