Pages

Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Christmas comes early presents and FOTD

Yesterday I was a good beauty blogger and a very bad fiscally-responsible Grown Up, and treated myself to one of the YSL Rouge Pure Couture Glossy Stains (£22.50, exclusive to Selfridges, see BBB's review) whilst finishing up some last-minute Christmas shopping.

My initial impressions basically consist of high pitched squealing but, in bullet point form:
  • more pigment, less slip and longer-lasting than Chanel Rouge Allure Laques (slightly stickier too, which helps it stay firmly in place)
  • brilliantly-designed applicator, makes precise shapes ridiculously easy to achieve
  • wide shade range ranging from pale nudes to dark browns and plums
  • no rancid mango signature YSL scent, rather, these are the same candied roses as the Rouge Pure Couture lipsticks
  • does what it says on the tin: both the staining power and glossiness last through eating and drinking for me
Two thin coats of 01 Violet Edition applied straight from the tube, no lip brush, and no clean-up with q-tips or concealer brush afterwards :O
The colour you see at the fuzzy edge of the applicator is the colour I get on my lips, which BLEW MY MIND, because my pigmented mauvey-rose lips make all colours pull pink. This shade at least is pigmented enough to apply true-to-tube on me.

The rest of the look I built around the lip. Very clichéd old-school glam type thing. All pics natural light.
Base/Basics
RBR Sea of Tranquility highlighter mixed 1:1 with MUFE Mat Velvet 15 foundation
Lunasol Under Eye Concealer 00
Shu H9 Stone Grey brow pencil
Koji Linequeen liner (I ended up not using this, whoops)
Majolica Majorca LEFP #12

Colour
Chanel Illusion D'Ombre Mirifique (which I used as a liner instead of Koji)
RBR Gracilis blush
RBR Solstice Halcyon to blend out crease (depotting accident)
RBR Batiste Grayling cream shadow in crease
RBR Wishing for Wings and Night Wind Sailing pigments all over lid/lower lashline
YSL RPC Glossy Stain 01 Violet Edition

Eye closeup

So that was me trying to at least look like a grown up (minus some neck-craning to catch the intermittent light) despite not acting like one when tempted by new shiny lip products.

Then the doorbell rang.

If there were justice in the world and we all got what we deserve, I should have opened the door to some lumps of coal. Here's what arrived instead:

Opened
Fresh Sugar lipbalms in Rose and Honey; Guerlain Rouge Automatique in Nuit D'Amour
Besame Sweetheart Balm in Cherry; Laura Mercier Lip Stain in Hibiscus

Rescue Beauty Lounge Recherché, Look Rich Be Cheap, Piú Mosso
Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation in Soft Ivory and MAC Face&Body in White (repurchases)
Ellis Faas Glazed Lips L306 and L307

I also received these gifts from two lovely friends who each arrived at the idea independently:
Vosges Bacon Chocolate Pancake Mix and Hickory-Smoked Bacon Chocolate Bar :D

Now how is anyone supposed to maintain a grown-up façade after that?! I'll spare you the edition of the FOTD featuring a dazed ear-splitting grin and smears of chocolate and flour all over my face. (FYI, the YSL stain held up through the entire bar.)

11 comments:

  1. I must have that lippie nao!

    Love the fotd, but then you always look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a recent YSL lip product HO. I hope the US gets these, they look amazing! Beautiful color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pure gorgeousness! I love that lip!!

    I need a lipgloss this color now (I probably already have one, I must admit)

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous color! I've been having a thing for dark vampy colors recently :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. why it is LE? :( I need to move to london *sigh* the exact same foundation mix works for me (with that super matte texture), I hope it will get more popular (mixing foundation with highlighter instead of buying new ones that are too drying, lol). you kinda remind me od sun fei fei's earlier pictures/ads :D! I think I can trust you and mira about the pigments then? lol, I am so clumsy with them, haha. I packed nuit d'amour for paris - I thought it should be a must have for me :D I hope you will like it as much as I do :) bisous :*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the review! I am relieved to hear it doesn't stink like the usual YSL lippies! I must give this a try when I get back to London!! Great FOTD - your skin is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that we are all 'feeling' the same vampy shades! :)

    Jamilla: You should've seen the dirty side-eye the Selfridges SA was giving me as I frantically sniffed my swatches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh- I am so excited for these to come to the US! And I love your snowy, wintry FOTD- so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! The lippie is amazing on you. I hope that we get it here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a pretty look and you now have me interested in the YSL stains ;)
    You got some lovely goodies in the mail, have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh. My. Goodness. I need that lip colour in my life. Beautiful look too.

    ReplyDelete