Pages

Sunday, 18 December 2011

Eyeshadow Brush Comparison pictures -- part 1

Another picture post to give some idea of how the Hakuhodo/Chikuhodo brushes I own compare in size and shape to some more well-known ones from MAC and Shu.

Again, all brushes are my own, and have been used/washed. I like my brushes to be multi-purpose and find these flat(ish) fluffy(ish) shapes quite versatile -- all of them perform at least two functions out of three of lay-down, blending, and precision work.

NOTES:
I bought my short gold-handled Hakuhodos in Japan. They do not seem to be available on either Japanese or English webshops so I've linked to the brushes from different series but with exactly the same heads and numbers, currently available on the English site.
The Chikuhodo Artist series comes in both black (long-handled) and red (short-handled) versions.

brush comparison Hakuhodo Kokutan MLL, K021, B127BkSl, Chikuhodo Artist 12-6, 6-6, 8-1, Shu Uemura Natural 10, Synthetic 10 ,Louise Young LY09 MAC 239, MAC 242
brush comparison Hakuhodo Kokutan MLL, K021, B127BkSl, Chikuhodo Artist 12-6, 6-6, 8-1, Shu Uemura Natural 10, Synthetic 10 ,Louise Young LY09 MAC 239, MAC 242 1. Hakuhodo Kokutan MLL blue squirrel
2. Hakuhodo 021 blue squirrel (see K021)
3. Chikuhodo Artist Red 12-6 grey squirrel
4. Hakuhodo 127 Canadian squirrel (see B127BkSL)
5. Shu Uemura Natural 10 kolinsky/sable mix
6. Shu Uemura Synthetic 10 synthetic (!)
7. MAC 239 goat
8. MAC 242 synthetic
9. Chikuhodo Artist Red 6-6 Canadian squirrel
10. Chikuhodo Artist Red 8-1 kolinsky
11. Louise Young LY09 sable


Closer look at the bigger, fluffier paddle brushes with Shu N10 as a reference
brush comparison Hakuhodo Kokutan MLL, K021, B127BkSl , Chikuhodo Artist 12-6, Shu Uemura Natural 10
brush comparison Hakuhodo Kokutan MLL, K021, B127BkSl , Chikuhodo Artist 12-6, Shu Uemura Natural 10
brush comparison Hakuhodo Kokutan MLL, K021, B127BkSl , Chikuhodo Artist 12-6, Shu Uemura Natural 10
1. Hakuhodo Kokutan MLL
2. Hakuhodo 021
3. Chikuhodo Artist 12-6
4. Hakuhodo 127
5. Shu Natural 10


And the flatter, denser brushes, with MAC 239 as a reference
brush comparison Shu Uemura Natural 10, Chikuhodo Artist 6-6, 8-1, Louise Young LY09 MAC 239
brush comparison Shu Uemura Natural 10, Chikuhodo Artist 6-6, 8-1, Louise Young LY09 MAC 239
brush comparison Shu Uemura Natural 10, Chikuhodo Artist 6-6, 8-1, Louise Young LY09 MAC 239
1. Shu Natural 10
2. MAC 239 (much blunter, fluffier and less versatile than the others)
3. Chikuhodo Artist 6-6 (which is not angled, just prone to rolling around while being photographed)
4. Chikuhodo Artist 8-1
5. Louise Young LY09

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! Personally, I like the Suqqu Eyeshadow Brush F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!

    Two questions/observations:

    1. My Haku 127 is a lot more tapered/pointier than yours. I love it for the precision, although the blunter 133 is amazing as well. (I had and hated the K004 - the artist in me prefers the elasticity of longer hair.)

    2. Have you found a good use for the Kokutan MLL and 021? I have the MLL and love the softness, but find the brush a bit too big for easy manipulation. In can lay down a wash nicely, but the width gets in my way. And, this is coming from a gal with large eyes and plenty of lid space!

    Great post - thank you!

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to know which brushes you'd recommend for lay down, blending, multi-purpose etc. Help a clueless sista out :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a splendid collection of brushes. Thank you for this very helpful blog post x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts are the best, so helpful! Thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamilla: I'm still umming and ahhing over that one -- might take a few of these along to the counter to do some comparisons ;)

    Alex: thanks for stopping by :)
    1. I think my photography skills may be to blame for how the Haku 127 looks here. It is definitely tapered both widthwise and depthwise, and its dimensions match the measurements on the Haku site exactly.
    2. I currently use the MLL on its side for all-over washes and on its edge for soft browbone highlighting. It also functions as a face highlighter brush. Far less versatile than the other Japanese brushes here!

    Charisse: hey, doll! For my style of makeup the Shu Natural 10 and Suqqu M and S brushes are the best all rounders. Chikuhodo Artist 8-1 is like a smaller version of the Shu Natural 10, so does similar work with more precision (although of course it takes longer to do an all over wash with it).

    Old Cow: I hope it does help :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really dislike my MAC 239. I think I'm supposed to use it to pat and press shadows in my crease...that might be the right way to do it and it works well that way...but I still like to sweep/use a windshield wiper movement...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isla, I wonder if you'd prefer something fluffier like the 217 for lay-down rather than a flat shape? I don't like the 217 for blending but it makes a great wash/sweeping brush.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such an exquisite brush collection, and I appreciate the excellent, detailed posts/photos of them.

    I am embarrassed to admit this, but I have a hard time using my shu uemura and Hakuhodo brushes, and I've even had my shu #10 Natural brush for more than 10 years! Maybe I am just not used to such good quality, or I'd gotten lazy/used to the multipurpose MAC 239/217 and the Edward Bess brush, all of which I use pretty much every day instead of the better-quality brushes I splurged on, and which now sit in the cup and mock me.

    I go through periods where I put ALL of my non-Japanese brushes in the drawer and try to use only the Shu/Hakuhodo brushes, but I find them challenging to work with because they perform so differently, and I figure I am doing it wrong. Or maybe I am just too rushed to take the time to layer, since these exquisite hairs diffuse pigment so gently.

    I do use the Hakuhodo G527 (flat-topped kabuki) every day, as well as the S114 for applying highlighter. As for eyes, I have managed to work Hakuhodo's B532BkSL into daily rotation, and when I wear gel eyeliner, only the K007 will do. I love the soft hairs on the S133 (I want to snuggle with it in bed), but I find it kind of floppy, and my Shu Natural bristles are so bouncy. *le sigh*

    I appreciate your response to Charisse--it was just what I needed. I've been dying to get my hands on the Suqqu M and have been stalking the Dolly Leo web site for weeks. I am also intrigued by the performance of the smaller Chikuhodo Artist 8-1 (smaller than my bouncy Shu 10). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are exactly right, Kate! I actually got myself a 219 to try out just now (and was debating between the 219 and 217, ultimately choosing the 219 first because my eye area is really quite small, and I have a monolid so I don't have a ton of eye space to work with).

    ReplyDelete