Pages

Wednesday, 21 December 2011

Eyeshadow Brush Comparison pictures -- part 3

Fluffy non-tapered blending brushes -- can you tell that I'm not exactly au fait with artistic/brush terminology? These are even more of a motley crew than usual because I find them particularly difficult to shop for given the size/shape of my eyes and my preferred style of application (more like Jung Saem Mool than the Chapman sisters or Lisa Eldridge).

All brushes are mine except for the Suqqu L, which was a loan. All have been used/washed.

brush comparison Edward Bess Luxury Eye Brush, Suqqu Eyeshadow L, Illamasqua Blending Brush 1, Stila 9, Shu Uemrau 8HR, 4R, MAC 217, Paula Dorf Eye Contour Brush
brush comparison Edward Bess Luxury Eye Brush, Suqqu Eyeshadow L, Illamasqua Blending Brush 1, Stila 9, Shu Uemrau 8HR, 4R, MAC 217, Paula Dorf Eye Contour Brush
brush comparison Edward Bess Luxury Eye Brush, Suqqu Eyeshadow L, Illamasqua Blending Brush 1, Stila 9, Shu Uemrau 8HR, 4R, MAC 217, Paula Dorf Eye Contour Brush
1. Edward Bess Luxury Eye Brush 'natural' hair (I suspect goat, maybe mixed with some pony), the biggest, densest most rounded and roughest in this bunch
2. Suqqu Eyeshadow L uncut grey squirrel, looks flat on its side but rounded from the front
3. Illamasqua Blending Brush 1 synthetic -- similar to the MAC 224 in shape but much softer. I use this for concealers.
4. Stila No.9 mine is blue squirrel (bought in 1999) but newer ones are goat hair, v. soft and diffuse brush perfect for all over blending and sheer washes
5. Shu Uemura 8HR angled sable brush -- I use this in a windshield wiper motion in the socket
6. MAC 217 goat hair -- I don't care for this as a blender/crease brush, but love it for cream shadows
7. Paula Dorf Eye Contour Brush angled blue squirrel brush -- this is my favourite socket brush for softer looks / very pigmented shadows
8. Shu Uemura 4R sable -- its loosely packed long hairs make it useless for powder products in my clumsy hands. I can only use it for precise undereye concealing, but it excels at that one task.


A closer look at Suqqu L with EB Luxury (L) and MAC 217 (R)
 from above, they look similar in shape...
brush comparison Edward Bess Luxury Eye Brush, Suqqu Eyeshadow L, MAC 217

...but the cross-section illustrates the shape differences
brush comparison Edward Bess Luxury Eye Brush, Suqqu Eyeshadow L, MAC 217

and a haloed shot displays the textural differences
brush comparison Edward Bess Luxury Eye Brush, Suqqu Eyeshadow L, MAC 217

Suqqu L is probably technically as densely-packed as Edward Bess (in terms hairs per square mm), but the softer, finer and longer grey squirrel hair means it applies pigments in a more diffuse way, so it works much better for placement as well as blending.
In terms of shape it is a larger version of the MAC 217 (which I use as a cream laydown brush rather than blender) but is much more efficient at blending out powders without patchiness, because it is denser and the hairs are more even. However I very much doubt that the Suqqu would handle creams as brilliantly -- would love to hear from any readers who've tried this.

Next up, the final part: precise/liner brushes.

5 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, Suqqu! I need another one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still looking for the ideal blending brush- perhaps the Suqqu L is it? I'm looking for a smaller version of the dense EB, which just seems so large and unwieldy. The 217 never blends reliably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One you may want to consider is the Laura Mercier Finishing Eye, if only for its unique duo-fibre head. I use mine for buffing in concealer, but its intended use is for blending and cream shadows. I don't like it for the eyes, as I have a light touch (the Edward Bess suits me perfectly), but since everyone has a different application style it may work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamilla: you have everything! I want to swim in your stash.

    Julia: they are so tricky. 'Reliable' is a great word to describe what I'm looking for too -- I need things blended, precisely. *sigh* Do let me know if you find anything.

    Dain: I have played with it many times and it seems to act very differently from the 217 -- more diffuse, longer hairs, without the slightly flattened shape. It is on my list as a possible Stila 9 replacement should mine ever give up the ghost. :)
    I admit I liked the Edward Bess much more last year, before seriously upgrading my eyeshadow collection to my preferred pigmented, creamy textures. I think it's a great companion to the drier, sheerer ones you seem to favour.

    ReplyDelete