Pages

Friday, 16 December 2011

Small Face Brush Comparison pictures

Over the next few days I'll mainly be posting picture comparison posts à la glossedintranslation. More detailed reviews of individual brushes will come in time, but I know people would like to order from Hakuhodo USA before the planned price rise in January 2012 (which is also when DollyLeo is due to be restocked with Suqqu brushes) so hopefully these will help you make some decisions.

This time, all the brushes are my own, and post-wash/use. I prefer smaller brushes for precision so these are all multipurpose blush / highlight / contour / powder brushes for me.

brush Hakuhodo Large Pointed Yachiyo, S116, Shu Uemura 20 Pony, Chikuhodo Z-2, Z-3, Z-4, Suqqu Cheek, Sigma F35, MAC 188
brush Hakuhodo Large Pointed Yachiyo, S116, Shu Uemura 20 Pony, Chikuhodo Z-2, Z-3, Z-4, Suqqu Cheek, Sigma F35, MAC 188
brush Hakuhodo Large Pointed Yachiyo, S116, Shu Uemura 20 Pony, Chikuhodo Z-2, Z-3, Z-4, Suqqu Cheek, Sigma F35, MAC 188

1. Hakuhodo Large Pointed Yachiyo pointed round goat hair brush
2. Shu Uemura 20 Pony blunt round flat pony hair brush
3. Chikuhodo Z-4 round flat grey squirrel brush
4. Suqqu Cheek tapered round flat grey squirrel brush
5. Chikuhodo Z-2 candle-shaped grey squirrel brush
6. Sigma F35 pointed round brush (hair unknown, I suspect pony/goat/synthetic)
7. MAC 188 goat/synthetic duofibre stippling brush
8. Hakuhodo S116 tapered flat blue squirrel brush
9. Chikuhodo Z-3 rounded flat-top grey squirrel brush


A closer look at the round flat brushes, hopefully showing the cross-sectional differences better
brush comparison Shu Uemura 20 Pony, Chikuhodo Z-4, Suqqu Cheek, Hakuhodo S116
brush comparison Shu Uemura 20 Pony, Chikuhodo Z-4, Suqqu Cheek, Hakuhodo S116
1. Shu Uemura 20 Pony -- Obviously it's not an ideal comparison as horse hair is coarser than squirrel anyway... (edit: I wrote earlier that this was a laser-cut brush; it is NOT. The difference can be entirely attributed to the fact that squirrel hair naturally grows in a conical shape, and pony hair does not come to a point.)
2. Chikuhodo Z-4
3. Suqqu Cheek
4. Hakuhodo S116

Head to Head: Suqqu Cheek (top), Chikuhodo Z-4 (bottom)
Suqqu Cheek Chikuhodo Z-4 comparison brush

Cross-sections Suqqu Cheek (left) Chikuhodo Z-4 (right)
Suqqu Cheek Chikuhodo Z-4 comparison brush

Both handmade by Chikuhodo from uncut grey squirrel. You can see for yourselves the Suqqu is smaller and more directional with a wider variety of hair lengths used to achieve that tapered shape.
Something which doesn't show so clearly in photos is that the Suqqu is also less densely packed and allows a softer, more diffuse application of powders and easier blending. In fact, I would say it blends and applies in one stroke slightly better than the Z-4.

11 comments:

  1. You may not be the one to ask, as you don't seem to have skin that desaturates pigment, but while I've been attracted to grey squirrel face brushes like the Z-4 or Suqqu, I'm afraid they would not deposit sufficient pigment for me. I've often had to repurpose blush brushes as powder, and use a contouring brush instead. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Suqqu cheek brush is the most versatile for me and the one I reach for most. I simply use more swipes with sheerer blushes (Chantecaille, Burberry) until I get the effect I want.

    As you say, though, I don't share experiences with 'desaturation' and being pale throws things off as well... of the two the denser Z-4 would be a safer bet for you I think. Being grey squirrel, they both deposit pigment more efficiently than the Haku blue squirrel brushes I've tried, if that helps at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, crap. Now I want things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want the suqqu blush brush! this will be next purchase, I want a suqqu blush brush that will kiss my cheek everyday and make me happy *cries*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah a Suqqu brush! I want but my wallet doesn't. It is so expensive. Thanks to your pretty pictures I'll be seeing dancing Suqqu brushes in my dreams ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becca: I want YOU to post more videos! Are you free from school now, darling?

    Claire: you need it <3 Being reunited with it made me feel a little silly for tracking down those Chikus honestly...

    Jacqueline: I may have been chanting the Japanese retail price while handing over the money for mine in London, to convince myself that it was a bargain(!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. *I don't need more brushes, I don't need more brushes* *chants repeatedly* :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. kate, glad you say that! I will some chikus but first suqqu! after my disasters (swaplifted cp and lost packages) I am happy suqqu is in the uk (and everything has arrived from the uk *knock on wood*)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the blog post that I'm looking for! I'm thinking about buying the Sigma f35 because it seems so versatile, but I've always wanted the Suqqu brush... however, it's not near where I'm from. :/ How does the f35 compare to Suqqu (based on function and performance)? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete