Pages

Saturday, 21 January 2012

And now for something completely tasteless

I've been keeping it pretty classy lately with mostly Suqqu, and there's more yet to come as I work through all my quads for reviews/swatches. This has been seeping into all other aspects of my frivolous life, leading to an impulsive final-cut-absolutely-no-returns sale purchase of a dress which is far too ladylike for me to feel comfortable in. I wore it last night anyway, and tried to undercut it with The Power of Makeup. (With a Little Help from Clompy Shoes.)

Dries Van Noten, S/S...ages ago. Nod to the geta to play off the dress' play on origami and qipao? Uh, it was, like, a cultural-appropriation-themed party?

Apologies in advance for quality of all pictures, hastily snapped in the bathroom.

Eyes
Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy
Fyrinnae Wake Not the Dead on the lid in a fairly rounded shape and under the eye, orchid-pink base with holographic glitter -- blue, green and gold. At least. :D
RBR Grey Go-Away Lourie in the socket for a cut crease...until I changed my mind and blended it out a bit with Papyrus Canary. Unforgettble Oriole in inner corner.
Shu Uemura Eyelight white pencil on lower waterline
B&C Makemania super fine eyeliner (it sets GREY! do.not.want.)
Eyelure Girls Aloud Cheryl falsies (the old style, not the new -- see here)
KATE eyebrow gel BR-3


more evenly lit angle, but even more derp.
 Other Products
Suqqu Makeup Base Creamy
Graftobian HD Glamour Creme Lady Fair -- bit pale for me at the moment but not too obvious at night-time. No need for concealing, I even look less freckly!
Chanel Rouge Allure Laque Dragon

 Overall effect, or as much as I could capture in the bathroom mirror. It would've been nice if I'd left time to do my nails... neon orange perhaps. ;)
Things wot I learned 
1. Falsies + uneven eyes = eyes that look even more uneven. Even. After spending last year mastering application... sigh. Also, heavy. Also, needs balancing on the lower lashline.
2. Strong eyes and strong lips = needs more contouring.
3. Clothes shopping when on a makeup diet = bad plan.
More lessons / constructive criticism would be very welcome! Save me from myself etc.

9 comments:

  1. Ooh lady, don't regret that dress for a hot second 'cause you are working it hard! Honestly, it fits you even more nicely than it does the Elie Tahari model. I can definitely see it being dressed up or dressed down, so I'm sure it'll get a good workout in your closet.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a bit of winter fun!! Even I get tired of tasteful neutrals and went with bronzer this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress! Yeah I tried wearing falsies every day a while ago but I began to not like the effect; it gave my eyes that elongated look when what I wanted was for them to look bigger. I think I'll try that method in which the falsies are cut in four pieces and placed underneath one's lashes. More work than I'd like but I think I like the effect more.
    http://delicatehummingbird.blogspot.com/2011/11/ha-ive-mastered-false-lashes.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow.... That last shot just floored me. That dress is beautiful and you look so... model-esque in it :D *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with the whole look and outfit, you are rocking them, it's stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful makeup look which goes perfectly with the dress.

    You have great bone structure already so I don't think you need much contouring. I've also heard good things about the Tom Ford Shade/Illuminate palette.

    If you need a clearer contouring guide, Rae Morris' book helps a lot to explain how to contour/highlight. I would also check out this link as well (not affiliated): http://beaut.ie/blog/2012/back-to-basics-2-how-to-contour-using-cream-and-powder-products-highlighting/

    Since you like to wear bold lipstick maybe a colorless or reverse lip liner would help? I haven't tried them myself but after getting frustrated with trying to match the right lip liner color to multiple lipsticks, I may try it since it eliminates the need for multiple lip liners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. where is the pose, miss mus? ;)

    the dress looks great on you and your figure is perfect! ladylike? yes. but there is nothing wrong with it :] I love warm colours on you and you should definetly experiment with them more, paired with a cool toned lip - perfect. *noms your clompy shoes*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your comments and advice, everyone :)

    Jamilla, I knew you'd understand :) Though you do inspire me to work colours into the mu work wardrobe.

    kaide: see, I always want my eyes to look longer! I will have to experiment more with different styles and placements for sure.

    Audrey, thanks for such an illuminating, helpful post! I am a Rae Morris fan but tend to skip over the contouring bits in favour of fun eyeshadow looks. Must revisit :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I saw you in real life I would probably stop and stare and you may wish to slap me!

    Oh yes, where were we? Makeup!

    I love the eye makeup! I have yet to try any Frynnae goodies but I shall look into it now!

    ReplyDelete