Pages

Sunday, 8 January 2012

Stash Swatch: Rouge Bunny Rouge Eyes Part 1

I adore RBR eyeshadows (pressed, cream and loose), and have recently fallen for their liners too, so decided to split these swatches into two parts.

First up, pressed eyeshadows. There are some variations in finish and pigmentation across the shades but what does not vary is the richly creamy texture, smooth true-to-pan application and comfortable wear these offer. Versatility too: each shade provides a range of effects, applying equally well with fingers, firm/fluffy/natural/synthetic brushes, and mixed with water (you can dip damp brushes straight into the pan without harm), highlighters or mattifying primers. (More on this in future.)

As always, click to enlarge pics.
RBR Rouge Bunny Rouge eyeshadow swatch Delicate Hummingbird, Solstice Halcyon, Mysterious Tinamou, Mountain Bluebird, Periwinkle Cardinal, Resplendent Quetzal, Abyssinian Catbird, Angelic Cockatiels, Unforgettable Oriole, Grey Go-Away Lourie, Chestnut-Napped Apalis, Papyrus Canary
Solstice Halcyon was my first attempt at depotting RBR (er, not that can you tell, readers of exquisite tact that you are...) The rest went far more smoothly. If you want to depot these, I'd recommend the candle+poking method and absolutely on no account the alcohol+jimmying method.

Paper swatches, natural light
RBR Rouge Bunny Rouge eyeshadow swatch Delicate Hummingbird, Solstice Halcyon, Mysterious Tinamou, Mountain Bluebird, Periwinkle Cardinal, Resplendent Quetzal, Abyssinian Catbird, Angelic Cockatiels, Unforgettable Oriole, Grey Go-Away Lourie, Chestnut-Napped Apalis, Papyrus Canary

Grey Go-Away Lourie, Chestnut-Napped Apalis and Papyrus Canary are all mattes. You all know I like glitter, but honestly my magpiedom extends to all the pretty makeups, it's just harder to find mattes that flatter my dry skin. RBR make my favourite formula: ultra-pigmented, creamy (yeah, that word again) powders which are both blendable and buildable for a variety of effects. They kick Shu, Addiction, Edward Bess, MAC Matte2 and Urban Decay to the curb. Unfortunately the shade range currently consists solely of workhorse neutrals.

Solstice Halcyon is a satin taupe, one of those subtle, complex chameleon neutrals that make beauty devotees swoon'n'stampede and leave casual makeup wearers utterly bemused.

Abyssinian Catbird, Angelic Cockatiels and Unforgettable Oriole are metallics, not a finish I'm too fond of, as the usual 'foiled' look (think Urban Decay or Dior) tends to make my hooded eyes look puffy and tired. However, RBR seem to have mastered the trick of Asian brands like Shu or Addiction in injecting enough complexity and shimmery light-refraction along with metallic reflection to obviate this.

The rest are shimmers, Delicate Hummingbird and Mysterious Tinamou are as pigmented as the metallics; Mountain Bluebird, Resplendant Quetzal and Periwinkle Cardinal somewhat sheerer.

Arm swatches, natural light (more colour-accurate)
RBR Rouge Bunny Rouge eyeshadow swatch Delicate Hummingbird, Solstice Halcyon, Mysterious Tinamou, Mountain Bluebird, Periwinkle Cardinal, Resplendent Quetzal, Abyssinian Catbird, Angelic Cockatiels, Unforgettable Oriole, Grey Go-Away Lourie, Chestnut-Napped Apalis, Papyrus Canary

Arm swatches, flash (better representation of texture)
RBR Rouge Bunny Rouge eyeshadow swatch Delicate Hummingbird, Solstice Halcyon, Mysterious Tinamou, Mountain Bluebird, Periwinkle Cardinal, Resplendent Quetzal, Abyssinian Catbird, Angelic Cockatiels, Unforgettable Oriole, Grey Go-Away Lourie, Chestnut-Napped Apalis, Papyrus Canary

RBR's own shade descriptions are usually spot-on and far better than other brands' offerings, but I've added some notes along with the abbreviation key as to how these wear on me.
Delicate Hummingbird alternately dusty-and-jewelled neutral purple
Solstice Halcyon plummy taupe with a balanced base of yellow and pink
Mysterious Tinamou deep jewelled blue on a blackened green base
Mountain Bluebird clear sky blue with gold and silver shimmer
Periwinkle Cardinal cool dusty sage green with gold and silver shimmer
Resplendent Quetzal RBR calls this "delicate" and it is indeed a clear pastel green between lime and grass; do not go in expecting an acid bright
Abyssinian Catbird cool bronze with green and gold patina
Angelic Cockatiels rich honeyed peach with cooler gold reflects
Unforgettable Oriole balanced neutral white gold
Grey Go-Away Lourie warm smoky grey with a hint of plum
Chestnut-Napped Apalis neutral yellow-based mid-tone brown (slightly cooler and deeper than MAC Wedge or Urban Decay Naked)
Papyrus Canary neutral yellow-beige


For swatches of some of my later (peachy!) RBR acquisitions, see here.

13 comments:

  1. *applause* Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These swatches are so useful! Thanks so much, I've been wanting to haul at Zuneta for ages but had trouble deciding what colours to buy. Delicate Hummingbird and Unforgettable Oriole look divine,

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many pretties! Honestly I have everything I need from this range, but I'm starting to consider Unforgettable Oriole, this is more neutral than my beloved Cockatiels and probably more versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the swatches! Very impressive collection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great swatches! It is a good thing I already have most of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm doing well and then there are always more I NEED! I don't think I'll rest until I own them ALL! Great swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay Kate! Love ten all side by side and you know I love your paper swatches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Y U SO GOOD TO US? You're famous now, Zuneta linked to your swatches on Twitter. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacqueline: can you believe I never swatched RBR when I had access to a counter irl? Foolishness! I hope you like the formula -- it can be addictive as you see.

    Musing, I agree. Oriole doesn't make my heart beat like Cockatiels, but it's definitely more of a workhorse.

    Peilouslypale: HI, YOU! :D Yes, yes you do.

    Nicole, uh... handhold me through Twitter again? It's social media, yes? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its very satisfying seeing all those beauties together. I also see a few shades there that I need to add to my collection ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog, your swatches and your posts are all amazing.

    Thank you for putting so much effort into your posts - I, for one, love them!

    Nazia x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for necro-commenting but I just wanted to share that my Solstice Halcyon now looks just like yours. I wish I'd read your depotting advice BEFORE I tried using the straightening iron method. All the others came our perfectly using candle + prodding.

    ReplyDelete