Pages

Sunday, 5 February 2012

Kanebo Sensai The Lipstick paper swatches

Sensai Colours is a luxury line from the Kanebo stable, launched in 2008 and aimed at more mature women. Consequently, most of their makeup products seem to include skincare properties -- specifically, anti-ageing, based around their 'signature' ingredient koishimaru silk.

The Lipstick is their 'flagship' formula, retailing at a breathtaking £40 in the UK and $55 in the US. (Is there some kind of definite article mark-up?) The patter promises that the lipsticks improve the look and condition of lips both upon immediate application and boost their capacity for self-repair with prolonged wear. But more to the point, The Non-Blonde rates it as one of the best around

Paper swatches, in natural light
Kanebo Sensai The Lipstick swatch 01 Suou // 05 Benikinu // 06 Niiro // 09 Tsuyabeni // 10 Hiwada 11 Kurumi // 12 Sugiro // 13 Momiji // 15 Murasaki // 16 Rindou 17 Aya // 18 Koubai // 19 Sawarabi // 20 Sumire // 21 Shirafuji
01 Suou // 05 Benikinu // 06 Niiro // 09 Tsuyabeni // 10 Hiwada*
11 Kurumi // 12 Sugiro // 13 Momiji // 15 Murasaki // 16 Rindou
17 Aya // 18 Koubai // 19 Sawarabi // 20 Sumire // 21 Shirafuji

Here's a picture with flash taken a day after swatching, when all the creaminess has gone:
Kanebo Sensai The Lipstick swatch 01 Suou // 05 Benikinu // 06 Niiro // 09 Tsuyabeni // 10 Hiwada 11 Kurumi // 12 Sugiro // 13 Momiji // 15 Murasaki // 16 Rindou 17 Aya // 18 Koubai // 19 Sawarabi // 20 Sumire // 21 Shirafuji

You can see the golden micro-shimmer more clearly in some shades than others, but this is mostly just a quirk of the lighting. 10 Hiwada, is the only shade with visible shimmer once applied (see how much more densely-packed it is?). The other shades really do just leave a dimensional sheen on the lips, even to my shimmerphobe eye in direct sunlight.

In the UK, Kanebo Sensai has counters in Harrods and Selfridges.

8 comments:

  1. So pretty! #19 and 21 make me feel faint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these lipsticks, but they are £40 each in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how numbers 1 and 9 are calling me. So very, very tempted by these.

    So far, Mr Ford is my most expensive lipstick purchase, although I do occasionally dither over the Serge Lutens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh- thanks for these! What would you say is the difference between 5 and 6? Also, if I was to splurge on one, would you suggest Suqqu Creamy Glow or Kanebo The Lipstick?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't know why they are called "one of the best around".. I have number 16, very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate,
      Many thanks for all the swatches.
      What's your personal opinion of them as u did the swatches?
      Thank u :)
      Eunice

      Delete
  6. Zuzu: those two are on my list, along with *three* others. Ack!

    Jamilla: you like them too?! I'm doomed.

    Grace: luckily Tom and Serge don't work for me *phew* and I've not decided whether these are £8-worth of better than Rouge Terrybly yet... ah, makeup maths.

    Julia and Eunice: I'm afraid I can't really comment on them as I don't own any of these (yet <-- added so posterity doesn't laugh at me later), just swatched at my counter. They seem most similar to the By Terry Rouge Terrybly formula, but a little creamier, and not quite as pigmented.

    Christina: each to their own :) That's part of the fun of makeup. What did you not like about the formula?

    ReplyDelete
  7. More stuff i've never heard of ._.; Lovely swatches.

    ReplyDelete