Pages

Friday, 17 February 2012

Nars Gaiety review and comparisons

Nars Gaiety (new for spring, but permanent) is my second purchase of the year (the first was Rouge Bunny Rouge Long-Lasting Pencil Calypso, swatched here). I decided to make it one of my twelve after running around swatching it against every other pink blush Selfridges had to offer, and turning up no 'dupes'. The closest -- Illamasqua's Katie and Nymph powders, and Sob and Laid creams, and the new Dior Rosy Glow -- were all much warmer once on the skin. I have been searching for years for a truly cool acid-pastel that would pop in true Japanese pop cultural style on my skin:
cover of TOMOTOMO June 2011

...and Gaiety, my dears, is it. Another selling point was the unusually silky, satin finish. I am not a fan of Nars textures in general (mattes can look chalky, shimmers rain down nightmarish glitter dandruff), but Gaiety swatched smoothly on my very parched winter skin and its subtle silvery sheen helps it retain that cool lavender undertone once applied. As soon as I swatched this, I remembered that Shiseido is Nars' parent company -- which, if you know of my adoration of Shiseido textures, is very high praise indeed.

Here it is against some of my other cool-ish pinks and lavenders.
All swatches are one-swipe (though the mix of textures skews things), pictured in natural light.
pink lavender blush swatch Etude House Miss Tangerine Cream Choux Blusher #4 Miss Grape, Becca Lip and Cheek Cream Rosebud, Rouge Bunny Rouge Gracilis, Shu Uemura Colour Atelier M225, Nars Gaiety, Addiction Amazing powder blush and cheek stick, Kevyn Aucoin Creamy Moist Glow Liquifuchsia
pink lavender blush swatch Etude House Miss Tangerine Cream Choux Blusher #4 Miss Grape, Becca Lip and Cheek Cream Rosebud, Rouge Bunny Rouge Gracilis, Shu Uemura Colour Atelier M225, Nars Gaiety, Addiction Amazing powder blush and cheek stick, Kevyn Aucoin Creamy Moist Glow Liquifuchsia
Etude House Miss Tangerine Cream Choux Blusher #4 Miss Grape
Becca Lip and Cheek Cream Rosebud (housed in a detachable Muji pill case)
Rouge Bunny Rouge Gracilis
Shu Uemura Colour Atelier M225
Nars Gaiety
Addiction Amazing powder blush and cheek stick
Kevyn Aucoin Creamy Moist Glow Liquifuchsia

Blended swatches of Gaiety (applied with Suqqu Cheek Brush) against its closest shades:
pink blush swatch addiction amazing cheek stick nars gaiety kevyn aucoin liquifuchsia

London winter lighting being what it is, you may have to take my word for it that Liquifuchsia has a more reddish base, and Amazing lacks Gaiety's cool lavender undertone.
You've seen this look before -- for different angles and the product listing, click here.

11 comments:

  1. you look so beautiful! Love the lips!(p.s hope you're well!) Naadia. :-*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO flattering on your skintone - you look beautiful!

    Lol, can you imagine how ridiculous it would look on my skintone..! That would be amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very good choice for 2 of 12. It gives a lovely ethereal look to your skin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so great in cool pinks! Interestingly, I had my skin undertone analyzed at the SKII counter, and they told me I had a neutral undertone - red overtone and yellow undertone cancel each other out, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such impeccable taste. :*

    ReplyDelete
  6. what camera of photos do you have? what foundation do you used here? please, respond me here

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Addiction blush looks so pretty... Wish we had it in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful choice- Gaiety is definitely special. I'm surprised to hear Sob didn't translate as lavender on your skin (though I don't have this one, myself). And OT- you look fantastic in white.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nadi! <3 <3 <3

    Nazia: I may yet attack you with it some day :P I actually love the contrast of uber pale pinks with tanned olive skintones

    Jamilla: I love geeking out over different countries' and brands' and people's 'systems' for categorising skintone and colour! So envious of all your Japanese makeovers.

    Ana: I use a point+shoot Canon Powershot G10. No foundation, Shu Stage Performer as a base, with Kevyn Aucoin concealer on spots and Ellis Faas concealer under eyes.

    Julia: Sob is just a cool pink, but not AS cool as Gaiety. Even Katie is a soft mid-tone pink on me, not the editorial pastel it is on more tanned skins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cats, Gaiety is outstanding on you! I recently picked up Desire, and I am wondering if the two are different enough to warrant having both. I do love an ice cold blue-toned pink on my cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best review yet.... Think I'm going to purchase now :)

    ReplyDelete