Pages

Thursday, 15 March 2012

New Lancome and Estee Lauder foundation swatches

To cut to the chase: Estee Lauder Invisible is an awesome formula that's impressed me more than any other in a long time -- a lightweight, applies-perfectly-with-fingers-and-without-a-mirror milk that seems to give a natural satin finish on almost all skintypes, and good medium+ coverage while hardly adding any texture to the skin. All this without any of the drying, irritating alcohol with which the likes of Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua and most popular Japanese milk sunscreens are filled.

Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra 24Hour...not so much. Full of alcohol yet dragging upon application and setting to an unflattering flat matte finish, while offering only marginally more coverage than Invisible, it actually seems to me to be a barely evolved version of Estee Lauder's most dated formula, DoubleWear. It does however beat Invisible in offering a much wider shade range -- I've swatched the palest shades from both formulas, with some other foundations for context.

foundation swatch Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich Foundation 00 Alabaster Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet+ 15 Lancôme Teint Miracle 005 Teint Idole Ultra 24 Hour 005 (007 is a little darker and quite a bit pinker) Estee Lauder Invisible 1N1 Estee Lauder Invisible 1CN1 Laura Mercier Silk Creme Soft Ivory Suqqu Frame Fix Cream 101
Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich Foundation 00 Alabaster
Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet+ 15
Lancôme Teint Miracle 005
Teint Idole Ultra 24 Hour 005 (007 is a little darker and quite a bit pinker)
Estee Lauder Invisible 1N1
Estee Lauder Invisible 1CN1
Laura Mercier Silk Creme Soft Ivory
Suqqu Frame Fix Cream 101

I wondered before sampling why Invisible didn't have a 1W(arm)1 shade as other Estee Lauder foundations do... and now I know it's because both the 1N(neutral)1 and 1C(ool)N(eutral)1 shades run warm yellow. If you wear another EL foundation, I'd recommend 'sizing cool' in this one -- if you wear W, try N. If you wear N, try CN. If you wear C... best of luck but don't get your hopes up.

For your amusement, here is me testing an extremely light layer of Invisible 1CN1, with further washing-out by my camera:
(I don't know why but I thought some other slap would mitigate the horror: Magie Deco Shadow Brilliance II DC030, Majolica Majorca Lash King mascara, Sensai The Lipstick 21 Shirafuji.)

Seriously, Lauder Corp, pale shades we can haz?

13 comments:

  1. Yeah, Lauder, seriously! And please distribute the pale shades everywhere, there's no reason why my country couldn't have anything under #3!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm. You've been tangoed! That's really not pale, or even cool-neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Europe's Lancome shades are...lacking. We have 10 more shades! Not sure where they fall, but I'll send you some for comparison.
    And come on, Lauder. I was so excited to try this! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. they should have used your pale beauty for reference! I can't help it but I can't find anything lancome, that would appeal to me. the foundations are really bad on my dry skin (even if I slap on tons of thick cream), the rouge in love are OK but nothing to special (but I am tempted by some reds - yum!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agh sucks about the color range >.< I never found a match in double wear. but I'm going to check this one out! love the claims

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so upsetting. :-( I'd heard great things about EL's new foundation only to find out that it will be too dark and warm. :-( Boo! Thanks so much for the swatches! They are a great help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But Kate, they DO have a 1WN1 shade? I tested that. It was paler than the other 1 shades on my hand, but oxidized on my face unfortunately. It was pretty yellow, but more like a beigey yellow as oposed to an orangey yellow (well on my hand, not on my face where it turned orange ...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Musing: 3?! Are they emulating Guerlain or what by shunning anyone under NC25?

    Grace: I knew that would be the UK'er response ;)

    Becca: *hugs* you are my angel. Lancome do seem to reserve their palest shades for the US... at least it makes a change from brands that save them for E Asia?

    Claire: you sneaky blogging wench! :D (I've heard that the Rouge In Love set like Rouge D'Armani so was scared off)

    ReplyDelete
  9. kaide: if you have a match in this (possibly 1WN2?) I will hate you forever.

    PP: *hugs* I know we share the pain :(

    Lissa: I only saw 1WN2 and it seemed a step darker from these. Let me know which counter you tried 1WN1 at, please!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the only helpful posting I've seen about the IF regarding shades. The SA at Nordstrom's pegged me as a 3WN1 which looked ok under store lighting. At home, it's too dark and too orange-yellow. So I think I need to go back and try again with the C shades. Thanks, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Kate! How would you compare the EL to MAC F&B (my current favorite and the ONLY foundation to work for my dry/flake-prone skin)?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard many great things about EL's invisible foundation. Will bookmark this post on the shades...keen to pick it up at duty free when I travel next month!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck, anon! It's a wonderful formula if you can find a match.

    Maria: I think it's about on par with F&B in terms of flake-friendliness (emphasises them slightly, but much less than most other formulas). Invisible wins out for having a much nicer texture.

    Beauty Box: I hope you love it! I look forward to reading more about your travels :)

    ReplyDelete