Pages

Thursday, 5 April 2012

Majolica Majorca Lash King Mascara review

Anyone who read the last post will know that I owe you a sizeable backlog of mascara reviews -- so many in fact that I'll be posting them in, well, clumps. But Lash King, the latest release from Shiseido's drugstore line Majolica Majorca, makers of my current (Lash Expander Frame Plus) as well as my all-time favourite mascara (the discontinued Lash Enamel Glamour Neo), deserved a considered post of its own.

Spoiler for those too lazy/busy to scroll: Having played with Lash King for two months, Lash Expander Frame Plus remains my favourite.

Lash King packaging

Ingredients
Majolica Majorca Lash King mascara ingredients

Tube next to Lash Expander Frame Plus (loathe the cheap-looking new colour-scheme)
Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus Lash King mascara comparison
Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus Lash King mascara comparison

Lash King has a traditional bristle brush head, bigger than LEFP's double sided plastic comb. And many more fibres. SO.MANY.Fibres.
Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus Lash King mascara comparison


For reference: LEFP (wand brushed through upper lashes once)
Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus mascara


Lash King: wand brushed through upper lashes once
Majolica Majorca Lash King mascara

The most obvious difference is that Lash King gives more volume than LEFP.
Both mascaras are equally: waterproof/smudgeproof, lengthening, capable of holding a curl for days, difficult to remove (requiring Heroine Make Mascara Remover before cleansing oil).
But unforgivably, Lash King's drier formula combined with its, uh, exuberance of fibres means that I experience flaking throughout the day, ending up with a speckled semi-circle of soot under my eyes, which is indelible as only Japanese mascaras can be...

Aside from the flaking issue, Lash King looks best when applied in one clean coat, as above, but I for one am incapable of ever calling it a day after one swipe of mascara (and risk leaving a fraction of inner and outer lashes nude?!), and this formula starts clumping lashes together right from the second pass. Here's a more realistic application with actual eyeshadow on (Suqqu Koju quad, Nars Gaiety under brow), having brushed the wand through about three times:
Lash King gives a very obviously mascara'd look, which becomes all-out clumpy if I try to layer two coats proper (redipping the wand in between). Obviously this is entirely down to personal preference; for me the versatility and wetter / less fibrous formula of LEFP -- which looks better after a few extra coats -- wins out.

I ordered Lash King from ct_taiwan for around £12; it's now also stocked at adambeauty, ichibankao and the usual suspects.

6 comments:

  1. I think this the weakness of Japanese mascaras- volume, they can't do it. I've been experimenting w other brands, formulas too and LEFP remains my favorite as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaww, the mascara has baby hairs at the top, how cute :D volume sounds good, flaking not so much. thanks for the review, I think I'll pass on this one. LEFP is my HG for so long. I am playing with HR though, impressed but ... so more $$$ than LEFP *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy. Shit.
    You have a blog!
    How did I not know you have a blog???

    Mind if I stalk you?

    Regarding mascara ... I'm looking for a good one, so I'm interested to see what you post. But I can't handle those impossible-to-remove ones, I like something kind to my lashes, feathery looking, and not too wet.

    (proximitythe53rd from MUA)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this mascara too. I bought it to use with my heated curlers that will enable me o comb through the clumps...I hope?

    Thank you for ANOTHER informative blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kate,

    I was still contemplating if I need to have Lash King. After reading your review, I need to have this mascara!

    The effect reminds me of Heroine Make Long & Curl mascara. Gives a natural effect without being too clumpy.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete