Pages

Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Topshop Mystical Crayon, the missing ByTerry Ombre Blackstar

Sorry, spoilers in the title.

Well, it's only been months since Naz first posted about it, and this post can basically be summed up as, "wot she said."

Having recently received one of the Topshop Eye Crayons (made in Italy, £7.50 for 1.64g) as a gift, I was spurred on by her post to borrow some of my mum's ByTerry Ombre Blackstars (made in Italy, £27.50 for 1.64g) for, y'know, Science*. Or swatches.

* GraceLondon has contributed rather more science (ingredients lists!) via comment.


Straight and angled swatches in natural light

With flash

Full sun -- with ByTerry Bronze Moon added

I hope these convey just how similar the textures are -- Topshop Mystical may look a little more glittery at some angles but in my opinion this is entirely down to the fact that its iridescent shimmer is more distinct from the base colour; other ByTerry shades, such as Black Pearl, would look more shimmery than the Topshop.

In terms of feel, blendability, the appearance once on the eyes, and lasting power (both on my dry eyelids and my mother's oily ones), the Topshop and ByTerry perform identically.

Fortunately for my bank account, I prefer the cool taupe Topshop Mystique to any of ByTerry's offerings. In terms of direct shade dupe-age, Topshop Whisper seems close to ByTerry Blond Opal, while the discontinued Zephyr looks from Naz's picture to be a gold-shimmered version of ByTerry silvered Black Pearl. Otherwise, none of the other Topshop shades currently available seem to be repeats: Bramble is a dark neutral brown with contrasting cool shimmer and Sunshower a bright, very yellow gold metallic with tonal shimmer.

Here's Mystique again against some other taupes. Mostly creams, two touchstone powders.
swatch comparison eyeshadow RMS Beauty Eyeshadow Magnetic Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream #2 Steel Paul&Joe Eye Gloss Duo #4 Bourgeoisie (darker side) Shu Uemura liquid eyeshadow from Glint Blue duo (LE Egerie collection, spring 2010) Topshop Eye Crayon Mystique ByTerry Ombre Blackstar Misty Rock ByTerry Ombre Blackstar Bronze Moon Shu Uemura ME Silver 945 (DC) Addiction Eyeshadow Flash Back
  1. RMS Beauty Eyeshadow Magnetic
  2. Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream #2 Steel
  3. Paul&Joe Eye Gloss Duo #4 Bourgeoisie (darker side)
  4. Shu Uemura liquid eyeshadow from Glint Blue duo (LE Egerie collection, spring 2010)
  5. Topshop Eye Crayon Mystique
  6. ByTerry Ombre Blackstar Misty Rock
  7. ByTerry Ombre Blackstar Bronze Moon
  8. Shu Uemura ME Silver 945 (DC)
  9. Addiction Eyeshadow Flash Back
Natural light, shade
taupe swatch comparison eyeshadow RMS Beauty Eyeshadow Magnetic Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream #2 Steel Paul&Joe Eye Gloss Duo #4 Bourgeoisie (darker side) Shu Uemura liquid eyeshadow from Glint Blue duo (LE Egerie collection, spring 2010) Topshop Eye Crayon Mystique ByTerry Ombre Blackstar Misty Rock ByTerry Ombre Blackstar Bronze Moon Shu Uemura ME Silver 945 (DC) Addiction Eyeshadow Flash Back

Natural light, sun
taupe swatch comparison eyeshadow RMS Beauty Eyeshadow Magnetic Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream #2 Steel Paul&Joe Eye Gloss Duo #4 Bourgeoisie (darker side) Shu Uemura liquid eyeshadow from Glint Blue duo (LE Egerie collection, spring 2010) Topshop Eye Crayon Mystique ByTerry Ombre Blackstar Misty Rock ByTerry Ombre Blackstar Bronze Moon Shu Uemura ME Silver 945 (DC) Addiction Eyeshadow Flash Back


Finally, Mystique worn as a 5-second wash in natural light

With flash


12 comments:

  1. Lovely eyes! I have the same Ombre Black Star as yours too. Well this means that paying low price doesn't mean you get a less quality :) great to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The base ingredients list is very, very similar. I found this ingredients list for the Topshop crayon


    INGREDIENTS: CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, SYNTHETIC FLUORPHLOGOPITE, POLYETHYLENE, LAUROYL LYSINE, OZOKERITE, OCTYLDODECANOL, SYNTHETIC BEESWAX, SILICA, LECITHIN, TOCOPHEROL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, CITRIC ACID.




    MAY CONTAIN (+/-):  IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499),  ALUMINUM POWDER (77000), BLUE 1 LAKE (CI 42090), ULTRAMARINES (CI 77007), CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN (CI 77289), CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS (CI 77288), TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), MANGANESE VIOLET (CI 77742), YELLOW 5 LAKE (CI 19140), BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163), CARMINE (CI 75470), FERRIC AMMONIUM FERROCYANIDE (CI 77510), FERRIC FERROCYANIDE (CI 77510), BRONZE POWDER (CI 77400).

    This post on Visionary Beauty has the ingredients list for the By Terry pictured

    http://visionarybeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/by-terry-ombre-blackstar-blond-opal.html

    The By Terry has Mica, Tourmaline and Pearl Powder added, and less colour ingredient variables. Is that worth an extra £20? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the mention, Miss Drivel =D

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. what great comparision swatches! I like the idea of bT ombres but you know .. sahara lids :( I wish the packaging (topshop) would be prettier (call me picky, lol). I really consider this as a reason not to buy it :D (weird?). I still believe, there are some pretty ombres for us dry-sahara-lids out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting, I read this yesterday so picked up one of the topshop ones today. I thoght I got the same as you but mine seems to have mink written on it. I am a big fan of the By Terry ones so I'll see if the topshop compares :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meryl: I'm not usually convinced by cheaper 'dupes' but even I can't see any difference in formulas here :)

    Grace: Thanks so much for this -- I've added a note to the original post.

    Nazia: Thank you, miss sleuthiness! I'm still waiting to hear what the Kiko are dupes of ;)

    Claire: Have you tried RMSbeauty? :) There is a new cool dark brown, very pretty indeed!

    Replica: I could've sworn the one I played with in the shop was called Mystique, whereas the one I took home seems to be anglicised as Mystical... tricksy Topshop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, I haven't .. yet! RMS beauty seems like a very nice brand, I have yet to try some products from them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very impressed with Topshop Makeup so far! This crayon does look pretty good and I have to go check it out soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lyn: I really rate their nail polishes and cream blushes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Topshop crayon but have not seen it in that color yet. Was the crayon the only product you used on your lids? Cause I kinda see a gradient , would love to know the other products you used :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, that's the only product. I applied heaviest at the lashline and blended upwards as usual :)

      Delete