Pages

Monday, 14 May 2012

Dainty Doll Deuxième Début: Liquid Foundation Swatches and Review

Dainty Doll is a recently relaunched mid-range brand aimed at the pale-skinned, headed and fronted by (ex-/now re-? oh who knows) Girls Aloud member Nicola Roberts -- the redhead, natch.

The original Harrods-exclusive range of foundations did not impress me (flat, basic formulas, and violently pink or yellow undertones) but positive murmurings about the new range tempted me to revisit (Dainty Doll is now widely available at Boots and lookfantastic online.)

Face products will be the main draw for this brand, as most companies in 2012 still persist in thinking that those paler than MAC 15 are a vanishingly rare breed...we're not. And we HAZ monies! Y U NO let us throw them your way, companies?! *weeps and flings doubloons weakly* Ahem, for now I'll be reviewing the liquid foundation, and in part two there will be blood blush. Based on a cursory swatch sesh in Boots, the eyeshadow and lipstick formulas are unexceptional rather than unexceptionable, and personally I've never found it a particularly pale-specific challenge to shop for those anyway...

Here's Dainty Doll Now That I've Found You Liquid Foundation (RBR much? 30ml for £22) in the two palest shades, 001 Very Light and 002 Light swatched against Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet 15:
foundation swatch mufe make up for ever mat velvet 15 dainty doll 002 001
foundation swatch mufe make up for ever mat velvet 15 dainty doll 002 001
heavy swatches, natural light
(In my opinion, Mat Velvet 15 is neutral, but beauty net consensus seems to have it leaning pink.) In any case, Dainty Doll 002 is a little darker and substantially more yellow than the MUFE, while 001 is a good step paler, looking almost white. (On my extrapolated MAC scale, MV 15 is N10, DD 002 is NC13 and DD 001 is NW5.)


Dainty Doll 001 Very Light, swatched between Yaby Daisy (an actual white) and Illamasqua Skin Base 02, to bring out its cool neutral-pinkiness as opposed to Illamasqua's warmer more pronounced pink.
foundation swatch yaby daisy dainty doll 001 illamasqua skin base 02
full sun
foundation swatch yaby daisy dainty doll 001 illamasqua skin base 02
natural light

And Dainty Doll 002 with Nars Sheer Glow Siberia (so jaundicey, I can't quite believe I've gone out in public / posted pics wearing this D:), Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer SX-01 (this is definitely yellow but looks neutral next to these other shades) and Paul&Joe Light Cream Foundation S 00 (the coolest yellow of the bunch, looks olive).
foundation swatch nars siberia kevyn aucoin sensual skin enhancer sx-01 dainty doll 001  paul joe light cream foundation s 00
full sun -- it suddenly got very cold, sorry about goosebumps
foundation swatch nars siberia kevyn aucoin sensual skin enhancer sx-01 dainty doll 001  paul joe light cream foundation s 00
natural light

Here's Dainty Doll 002 Light on me, looking a little too dark and yellow (if your monitor shows it):

The difference is probably too minor to register on most screens / any sane person's list of bothersome things but I'm enough of a special, special snowflake to feel more comfortable for slapping a thin layer of 001 Very Light over the top (approximately achieving a 3:2 mix i.e. 001.6 Quite Light):

dainty doll liquid foundation 001 002

That's also why I'm pouting: a brand especially for pale folk and I still have to mix?

A bigger disappointment was how dry and unforgiving this formula was on me -- see how matte my face looks even without setting powder? In real life it brings up a multitude of flaky and bumpy patches I didn't even know I had. I get good medium coverage from one thin layer (applied with a damp beautyblender sponge), and it's buildable to full -- though you'll have to work quickly, as this stuff isn't the most blendable, and once it sets, it sets.

Ingredients


12 comments:

  1. D: WHYYYYYYYY. Now we can't be dry and pale at the same time? I haz monies! I will pay them for the right foundation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there ever an end to the search for the perfect foundation? I am guessing not and even if I do find it, a few months later my skin will change ever so slightly, enough to bother me immensely. I am still dreaming of getting my skin to be in such a great condition that I won't need foundation any more, only concealer. Ah! Skin of my early 20s, where art thou? I didn't even own foundation or concealer back then. Good skin days, y u so rare?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why but this brand never appealed to me. I have to say, I don't like those foundations on you (they make you look kinda flat, if that's even possible you beautiful lady <3). everytime, I think I have found a foundation, after more uses they are all drying on me. when there is a foundation light ebough, the undertones are off, pink, too yellow, etc. I am thinking, is it that hard to make a pale foundation, not drying, with the right undertone and finish? there must be something, can't imagine companies are not making them per se. weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They know we'll pay them for the "perfect" foundation formulation for dry AND pale: I guess there just aren't enough of us to justify it. Does anyone remember when Prescriptives was a custom shade mix? Like wall paints? That would make a lot of folks happy ... this is a wonderful post/blog. Your swatches, energy, intellect, and acuity are brilliant and much appreciated. xoxo Beth in Pgh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a shame that this brand didn't work out for you. I'd heard of it from Lisa Eldridge and had high hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bobbi Brown foundations in Alabaster- lots for different skin types! I'm ghostly and Bobbi Brown is my saviour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but even alabaster is a little too dark and too pink for me, also the skin foundation in alabaster is at least a shade lighter than the luminous foundation in alabaster and luminous has yellow undertones rather than pink. Just warning you in case you are using skin foundation one, don't buy the luminous one if you're that pale.

      Delete
    2. Bobby brown foundations are actually all yellow based, even Bobbi brown herself states on the website "...all my foundations have a yellow base''.
      None are pink based, they say they chose to do so because yellow based foundations are more of a neutral for most skin types.
      The paler shade is only really suitable for neutral skin, on pink skin it's too yellow and on yellow skin too pink as you say.

      Delete
  7. Awesome! Finally some good reviews and comparisons! From this, I feel like I may have to mix the two lightest as well, but I would rather mix these than mix the lightest of another brand with white :) Siberia almost gets there for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are all very lucky, I live in Brasil, my family is in Brasil for 14 generations, but somehow beauty companies think that people like me, very pale and light skined, do not exist here. HELLO!! We were populated by people from northern Portugal, the descend from the celtics.
    Anything lighter tham a Mac35 is a rarity in this land. It does not mather to them that Brasil si the third largest cosmetic market (behinf Us and FRance) or that we have 200 million inhabitants, or even that we have one of the fastest growing Beaty markets in the world.... No. Everybody must be tanned und the Equator line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello fellow one use foundation bottle hoarders! (J/K). I have a constantly growing collection of foundations that I've used once or twice that are just sitting in a drawer, never to see sunlight again. (MUFE, Nars, UD, MAC, Bobbi Brown, Dr. Jart....etc.) When I think of the money I've wasted... ugh.
    Anyway.. has anyone tried Illamasqua Rich Liquid Foundation in shade 115? I've had my eye on it for some time now. The description on the website says that it is for neutral based fair skin tones. If it weren't that pricey for one bottle, I'd buy it today. I'd love to get a sample first, but there's no counter near me. I've even contacted them to see if I could purchase a sample from customer service and the answer was a big fat "NO". Being dry and pale may look pretty (IMO), but it's a PITA to get the correct shade of foundation. Love this post. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete