Pages

Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Modern Minimalism with Burberry

The nice thing about being a maximalist is that minimalism is just another mode I get to dabble in when the mood strikes....

My Burberry selections sparked off this particular phase, but really the brand in general peddles just this kind of minimalist pretty which as any beauty addict knows, often takes a lot more work and product than an unsubtle bright look: minimalism =/= minimal. Following: a few looks showcasing Burberry Midnight Brown eyeshadow, Earthy blush and Hibiscus lipstick, application going from light to heavy. With black/white-based outfits.

And all in suitably minimal lighting D: Sorry, the weather here has been frankly apocalyptic.

1. Light: Minimal and minimalist. Midnight Brown gradation-with-itself with a Suqqu Eyeshadow S brush, Earthy very lightly on edge of cheekbone with Suqqu Cheek brush, Hibiscus patted on with fingers as a barely-there stain.

Midnight Brown -- so very taupey on me
shirt: COS // skirt: custom // sandals: Repetto

2a. Medium -- Mostly Contour. Midnight Brown smudged around lashline with Suqqu S brush, Earthy to contour forehead, nose and cheeks using the included brush (okay for laydown, not good at blending), Hibiscus feathered out from the centre of lips and lightly on cheeks.
shirt: James Perse // skinnies: Uniqlo // sandals: Repetto // earrings: etsy

2b. Medium: Eyes and Lips. Midnight Brown blended out in the outer half of eye with Rouge Bunny Rouge Capricious Nightingale on the inner (Shu Uemura Natural 10). Earthy kept just under cheekbones with Hakuhodo Small Pointed Yachiyo with Hibiscus as cream blush. On lips, one layer of Hibiscus applied with a Hakuhodo Misako lipbrush then blotted.
with flash
top: Kitterick // skirt: DIY // sandals: Repetto (can you tell these are my shiny new babies?) // necklace: etsy

3. Heavy: Midnight Brown packed over lid with Shu Uemura N10, and blended out with Earthy on Suqqu S. Waterline rimmed with MUFE Aqua Eyes 0LEarthy more heavily under the cheekbone only with Hakuhodo SPY (my camera probably flattened the differences but IRL this was pretty drag). Hibiscus applied with Hakuhodo Misako lipbrush.
Actually this (bar the lips) is a great example of "makeup wot I do not like and wot makes me thankful the nineties/reign of Bobbi's version of 'natural' are over" -- lots of it, but all brown. If going maximal, I prefer to go maximalist too....
overdress: Kitterick // maxi: Pure&Good // sandals: Clarks // necklace: indie HK designer
In the last look, full-coverage matte face courtesy of Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer SX-01 mixed with Shu Uemura Stage Performer Instant Glow. In the othes I'm wearing Shu Uemura UV Mousse Pink/Purple only.
In all looks: Burberry Sheer Luminous Concealer 01 under eyes, Shu Uemura H9 brow pencil Stone Grey, Lancome Hypnôse Drama WP mascara.

To come: more of my minimalism, without Burberry. Because even when on a paring-down kick, I am incapable of using the same few colour products every day for a week. *shudders violently* (I couldn't even manage 3 looks in a row, hence the cheating with one wee new RBR arrival...)

43 comments:

  1. ...you look beautiful, Kate. It's official, you are my new girl crush. Also, I call dibs on you for when I create my own makeup range in the very distant future. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you make me wish I knew more Victorian pshawing exclamations than just 'phsaw!'

      Delete
  2. I've said it before and I'll say it again but you are so beautiful and have such a killer sense of style! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so that's why I have to decapitate :) My head's getting bigger by the second

      Delete
  3. I am now entirely convinced that I *need* Earthy. This is fantastic - especially 1 & 2a. I really enjoy this style of post - I love seeing the different looks that can be achieved and I'm a big fan of the OOTDs. Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rosy :) The Burberry SA's at SOGO told me Earthy is their surprise bestseller -- I can definitely see it working for a surprisingly wide range of skintones

      Delete
  4. Not only are you unbearably gorgeous and fantastically made up but those clothes, THOSE CLOTHES, particularly the ones on the last pic <3333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving these Kitterick shops -- local high street ftw! :D

      Delete
  5. You know, I am seriously jealous of you. You got style girl. I love love your outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shush! I'm stalking your blog for more adorable matchy-matchy outfits for the family :D

      Delete
  6. I love hibiscus but I love it even more on you! your minimalizm still is elegant and wowza! I love the outfit in 2b so much, the whole pic *sigh*! Thanks for supporting the lipstick as blush thing, because it's a great idea and I love it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, you know I was thinking that much as I enjoy Hibiscus, I can't help thinking it must be prettier on you! <3

      Delete
    2. LIES missy! BTW drooling over your hopefully soon FOTD with Addiction swimming pool, so sad your LotL is probably visiting the titanic *dives* :(

      Delete
  7. I love these kinds of posts- you are a trooper, limiting yourself to a few products! I especially love the cherry popsicle lips in 2a and of course, your impeccable fashion sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs* love that description! And thank you for commiserating with my firstworldproblem ;)

      Delete
  8. Very very lovely. I like the shoes best in that they are the only image I could take away from your post and be halfway towards emulating your beauty and style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words, Jan! I'm enjoying your blog and we share some cult favourites (Beach Tints, Bottom Butter)

      Delete
  9. I love your fashion posts has much as beauty! Is there anything you can't wear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *squish* you're too kind. I envy the cool kids' post punk badass stuff! <3 Luckily I have friends with cool to spare

      Delete
  10. Don't you love the Uniqlo skinny jeans? They are so comfy to wear too. Love it all - the outfits and the MU looks.

    I love the look of Midnight Brown - I went to the Burberry counter when it first opened and was uninspired, but perhaps I do need to give it another visit ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Uniqlo skinnies are the only jeans I'll wear, so flipping awesome!

      If you're around Oxford Street way, I really recommend the spiffy new John Lewis Burberry Counter -- all the SA's are sweethearts and Almirantas the MA is seriously fab-u-lahs. Warning: he WILL sell you the click-pen concealer, strict no-buy or no no-buy.

      Delete
    2. There's a counter in John Lewis? I'm in trouble.

      I just don't gel with the Harrods beauty hall - it's too fussy and all in different bits.

      Delete
  11. you look really pretty no matter what kind of make up look you have on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, Jade <3 Not strictly true, however *looks at giant trashcan of deleted pics* ;)

      Delete
  12. I love all the looks you have done, I'll have to try gradating Midnight Brown as it looks so pretty on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Replica. I think that look is the truest to how I actually do the minimal thing.

      Delete
  13. Makeup, clothes, style ... perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to buy Burberry even more than I did before, I honestly didn't think that was possible! I love the patted on lipstick looks. I've never done that and feel inspired to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely thing to say, Modesty, thank you :) I'm usually welded to my brushes but it does give lipsticks a new lease of life

      Delete
  15. I really need to stay away from your blog. I read this, left work and went to Saks and bought my first Burberry item: Hibiscus lipstick. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well! I got it home and it had been USED! So I'm going to exchange it tomorrow after work. Shame on Saks!!! Will take pics this weekend!! xx

      Delete
  16. you look gorgeous! why are you so tall and lanky and that's making me a green eye monster now :P and the repetto sandals, omg lovely!

    you don't hide your freckles and I love that! (because I have alot of freckles myself too, inherited it from me mom) :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh plue, I probably would hide my freckles if I COULD. So many, ganging up against me

      Delete
  17. Understanding that the makeup is straight up badass, I am DYING over those coral sandals. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, do you mind telling me which etsy retailer you bought the earrings from in the second look - they're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there, they are from shlomitofir -- love her delicate botanical designs

      Delete
  19. I love everything about this post! Kate, you are STUNNING!! I would love to do a photo shoot with you one day! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 YOU BETTER NOT BE KIDDING! I would love that :*

      Delete
  20. I really like the outfits! The last one is my fave but that custom skirt is wonderful! I think I shall try to make something similar sometime x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really admire your style so that means a lot to me :)
      I've been searching for years for a not-too-costumey net skirt, they are surprisingly tricky to find!

      Delete