Pages

Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Catchup 2: Back in the jug agayne

Or, home :D I've missed the smell of London grey-greenery so much. Still keep opening the window to take big gulps.

Mishmash of a post today (unlike, uh, every other day) featuring:
1. My long-haul flight skincare routine.
2. Preview of some things that were waiting for me, and for you, once I get round to blogging about 'em.

Airplane Routine
I never fly long-haul wearing makeup, but still need a no-rinse cleanser to remove sunscreen once on board and settled in. This trip it was a decant of Avène's Extremely Gentle Cleanser, but Bioderma Crealine does the trick too. Muji cottons are cheap, soft and separable into 4 plies -- they are smooth enough for my sensitive skin to tolerate and absolutely lint-free (my mother's discovery -- she finds them just as good as Shiseido's/Suqqu's, and my favourite Suqqu SA agrees :P) 
Other essentials: a hair tie for ablutions / general avoidance of Ko-fro upon landing and wet wipes (these are fabulously cheap, daintily-sized Japanese ones, alcohol- and fragrance-free, from Sasa) for clean hands before...

The Routine Proper
This all fits into the designated clear plastic bag, with room to spare. The largest of these is 30ml.
Which consists of: 
  • whatever oil will absorb immediately without stickiness for your skin, massaged into face, neck and hands (for me, Desert Essence Jojoba which comes in a travel-sized plastic bottle, is most convenient)
  • light-textured eye cream: Korres Materia Herba
  • light moisturiser: Biotherm Travel Recharge, which is the kind of overly-specifically-marketed product I usually dismiss as gimmicky, but which actually does exactly what it promises, ameliorating the effects of cabin air. I'm grateful to Beauty Free for introducing me to this and thankfully, its unpleasant stale-airplane-interior scent dissipates quickly.
  • Blistex Relief Cream, my emergency lip treatment -- a long-haul flight is an emergency as far as my lips are concerned.
  • top-ups as necessary / impulse to fidget dictates: moisturising eye drops (Boots Essentials doesn't promise whitening/brightening etc., so it simply soothes and never stings), a regular light lipbalm (currently Mentholatum Q10), non-sticky light hand cream (Coen Rich Q10 White).
  • multi-purpose sunscreen: La Roche Posay Anthelios XL SPF50+ stick for when the shutters get raised. It's tempting to skip this figuring sun exposure will be minimal, but if you're sun-sensitive, being strapped to your window seat while flying above clouds for hours without protection is no fun. Also, planes get delayed, unexpected things happen, Kindles break down while your straightfoward 14-hour flight devolves into a 25-hour kafkaesque odyssey.... just bring the sunscreen, its ingredients list is another something to read.
(Slightly different selection principles apply here than to my usual skincare: apart from dinky-plastic-squeezy-secure-cap packaging considerations, I favour lighter textures applied more frequently for flights, because 1. I actually have the time to reapply and 2. my usual rich creamy things act as unholy airplane lint-magnets and usually require depotting/canting. Which, yeah okay, can be managed, but who needs another fussy thing like that on their pre-departure to-do list?)

Not strictly necessary but nice to have
I keep my nails short so don't usually have any luggage-related mishaps but like to bring a nail file just in case....) this Japanese one is delightfully compact and comma-shaped (regular readers will recognise my favourite punctuation mark, tied with the hyphen :P)
The eyebrow pencil (Shu Hard 9 Stone Grey) is a new addition -- for the first time in my life (thanks, grown-up stress moulting!) filling in brows has become a necessity rather than a case of optional polish. An evergreen necessity, purely motivated by vanity: mini eyelash curler. Curled lashes are my security blanket OKAY? Especially when wearing glasses, they open up my eyes better than any eyeshadow and a slight kink stops my lashes from being smooshed against the lenses when I blink. (This one's a Sephora freebie, I've also ones from Laura Mercier and Muji floating around, all of which work equally well.)
Flying also means slightly different beauty base zero requirements: I wear glasses, which do a fine job of hiding undereye circles, while placing more focus on the lips. So a bit of tinted lipbalm (Fresh Sugar Honey contributes the perfect warmth to liven up my cool pink-mauve lips) completes the pre-disembarkation spiffying.


2. Teasers
Selections from the leviathan mound of birthday parcels awaiting me on my return, and then some
French / Canadian / French-Canadian treats
European drugstore gems I'm eager to explore further
deliciously soft hand-dyed unbrushed Orkney Angora wool/angora DK
 usual catholic mishmash of reading material


I was very fortunate to obtain this discontinued Suqqu single: EX-22
Armed with a birthday gift card, I lucked in on Liberty's Buy 3 Get 1 Free Ellis Faas offer. The lovely SA also threw in an extra concealer in my shade when I told her of my problems with the click mechamism.

39 comments:

  1. Glad you're home again. What an amazing birthday haul! I'm so jealous.

    Lou x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't be jealous, you have beauty up the wazoo :)

      Delete
  2. I love seeing what others use for long-haul flights, especially when their definition of 'long-haul' is longer than my usual London-to-Colorado flight (9-hours). Welcome home ... the weather's been pretty blah.

    My hero product for flying is SkinCeuticals Epidermal Repair, which I use to promote a good skin barrier when that dry air is circulating. I beg samples off my dermatologist since a.) it's fairly expensive and b.) not really right for my usual skincare routine. (It's designed to be used on compromised skin, like post-peel or microdermabrasion.)

    Your yarn looks gorgeous, do you have plans for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yarn is going to be made into hats because, the weather IS blah, innit?

      Your SkinCeuticals sounds like a posher, more advanced version of the Avene Cicalfate I love and make sure to slather on overnight post-flight :)

      Delete
    2. They do look like pretty similar products :D Maybe I'll check out Cicalfate if I run out of Epidermal Repair samples.

      Yay for hats! I should start crocheting again, it's been a while.


      By the way - thanks for the Muji cotton tip - my mom was just asking me if I knew a cheaper alternative to the Shiseido, so that was timely.

      Delete
  3. It all looks so exciting! As for the sunscreen during a flight and speaking from experience: nothing says sexxy like a half-sunburnt face. Haha! I may forget to take everything else with me, but never my sunscreen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I demand pictures! lol
      Honestly bringing all this stuff onboard makes me feel pretty high maintenance, but I've learned from experience not to skip it. My cheek's literally cracked open on a long haul flight before D:

      Delete
  4. Arming yourself for battle seems about right! I've never faced a truly long-haul flight, but you seem to have your system down pat.
    Yay for Essence Stay with Me l/g- I think I have one in every color :D
    Also excited for your review of the new IdO...and awesome EF score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh that makes me even more excited to try the Essence :D Thank you!

      Delete
  5. That yarn is beautiful, especially the green color. Please show us what you make out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do :) That one is actually for a beautiful friend, with a great eye for colour :)

      Delete
  6. Excellent long-haul flight basics. I favor heavier lip balms and hand creams but, that's because I'm a freak and don cotton gloves ala King of Pop to keep out the airplane cooties.

    Your Ellis Faas SA is fantastic! I recently went in for my appointment at Chanel to preview the Fall line and told the SA about my poor Illusoire Illusion d'Ombre that had dried up to resemble a hockey puck - even took it with me to show her. She says "Well, it still works, right?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my icon! I think I'm bolshy and shameless but somehow I draw the line at an obnoxious purple lifepreserver/pillow slung permanently around my neck on board.

      Totally side-eyeing your SA from across the Atlantic right now.

      Delete
  7. My face is 50 shades of discoloured, plus I always break out right before a long-haul flight, so I check-in wearing makeup but remove everything once I'm on the plane with cleansing wipes. I'm also shameless enough to bust out an SK-II sheet mask when the lights are dimmed. It took me a couple of years post 9/11 to get used to the 1-bag restriction, but with the addition of the Kindle, my carry-on bag is SO MUCH LIGHTER these days. Welcome home, and I can't wait to read more! Any chance of seeing the Shiseido Fire look I caught a glimpse of on MUA here? I can't get it out of my head! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, I couldn't read past "50 shades of..." :P

      TEACH ME YOUR WAYS re masking on planes! I always get sat next to a scathing SRS PERSON reading an IMPRESSIVE IMPROVING TOME and am overwhelmed by shames.

      Fire soon, promise.

      Delete
    2. I need to build up some confidence and get shameless -- sheet mask on a plane. Delightful!!

      Delete
  8. Airplane beauty routines almost make me miss the days that I flew more, although even then I topped out at six very un-glamorous hours or so. It's really just that I like to see what other people put on their faces.

    I'll be interested to see what you do with those EF shades. 305, in particular, looks terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy perving on other people's routines too :)
      305 is one of those shade I avoided for years figuring I could dupe it.... wasted far more money than the actual product would've cost me in the first place. Sigh.

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed this post! :) I agree, a hand cream is a huge necessity, as well as moisturizer! I also gotta have my lip balm!

    -A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. where are you fellow beauty addicts when I fly?! I always seem to be the only person on the plane smearing stuff on.

      Delete
  10. Loved your references to comma and hyphen. Delightful post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate!
    I've just been catching up with your blog and I already have a shopping list a page long (considering I've only bought 2 beauty products this year, that's a big deal!). I've missed your writing - your theory-type posts remind me so much of Ars Aromatica, it's so much fun to read them.
    Happy belated Birthday by the way, how was it? I'm jealous of that gorgeous Suqqu eyeshadow!
    Looking forward to seeing you
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy, titian one!

      How are YOU?! I demand full account of your doings this year, with interpretive dance interludes.

      :)

      Delete
  12. That is an incredible birthday haul :)
    You've given me plenty of eye candy to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! And your button made me laugh a little too hard ;)

      Delete
  13. Ooh look at all those goodies. Jealous! And Happy belated Birthday!!

    How come everyone else always gets these nice, delightful SA's and I'm ALWAYS stuck with the ones that treat me like a teenage klepto or are rude and unhelpful?! Bah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! :D
      And I am always envious of American CS -- honestly getting ANY samples in the UK is like pulling teeth normally.

      Delete
    2. Really? That's always such a shame. I will never understand it--it's not like it's coming out of their pocket?!? And chances are, if you happily provide us with a sample of product you believe in and SELL us on it, we will be back to purchase a full-size! Grrrrr, the logic sometimes. It may be easier for us in general to get samples, but not ME for some reason (maybe I look naturally shifty or too young or don't dress "mature" enough for my age :P I just want to scream sometimes!)

      Delete
  14. ah now I love those Shiseido cotton pads, and i'm jumping in glee when you say Muji is just as good, because I also bought some Muji ones, but I think it's the unbleached version. They do have a few types, if I remember correctly.

    my staples for long haul flights will always be a hand cream and blush, with tinted lipbalm/ sheer lipstick.

    and happy belated birthday! i hope you had a blast :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D The unbleached ones look so nice and rustic, not sure if they're peelable though?

      Delete
  15. Which Muji cottons do you use? They have several varieties (layered and not layered).

    Also, great travel routine. I really don't understand why some people get onto the plane with a full face of makeup only to remove it the moment they get on. I really never thought to put sunscreen on for flights, but I may start doing that if I am flying at peak strong-sun hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the 'peelable' type :) I tend to halve them.

      Honestly if my skin wasn't so stupidly sensitive and needing to be babied on flights, I'd love to wear makeup :) Wearing makeup is ALWAYS more fun than skipping it :D

      Delete
  16. You made such a standard post about long haul flight beauty care so interesting....I laughed at "Kindles break down while your straightfoward 14-hour flight devolves into a 25-hour kafkaesque odyssey.... just bring the sunscreen, its ingredients list is another something to read."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Srsly, I think I have PTSD. Wanna hear about Lufthansa's safety procedures in case of sea-landing? I KNOW THEM ALL D:

      Delete
  17. I sighed when I saw that Suqqu single again. SUQQU WHY YOU DISCONTINUE THE PRETTINESS? and while I'm at it: WHY YOU NO SHIP TO ME? and WHY YOU NO COUNTERS IN TAIWAN?
    :P

    I do plan on getting a quad and the eyeshadow brush M off ichibankao at some point though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My taupes bring all the all-caps to the yard *sings off-key*

      Delete
  18. This post made me all kinds of giddy! I love seeing what others bring on long flights and having been through one in the last few days I can honestly agree about not wearing an ounce of makeup. I was makeup-free all 17+ hours save for moisturizer and Hourglass' Fresco. =P

    Also, I think I need that comma nail file.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wearing makeup may also interfere with le swatchy-swatchy in duty free ;)

      Delete