Pages

Tuesday, 3 July 2012

THREE Flash Performance Eyeliners

This is going to be a very shallow post. Which can basically be summed up as:
1. SHINYYYYYY
2. It's all her fault.

THREE is a luxury 'natural' brand sold exclusively in Japan. I first sampled the brand last year and have been pleased with everything so far.
But their Flash Performance Eyeliner Pencil in 07 Eye Doll blew me away. Incredibly complex duochrome shade, hands-down the smoothest, most blendable cream texture I've ever felt, and once set, it withstood a sweltering June day in Singapore with aplomb. APLOMB I SAY.

Of course I went back for more. Because it's basically obligatory to have three of anything from this brand, right?
Flash Performance Eyeliner Pencils are made in Germany and retail for ¥3150 each.


The family, so far... looking a bit nuclear. I really should make it a commune.
THREE Flash Performance Eyeliner Pencil

Sleek, understated packaging. As SoLonelyInGorgeous wrote, the smudger end (right) works brilliantly.

Subtle colour stripes up the back to identify shades without uncapping.
THREE Flash Performance Eyeliner Pencil

Swatches! None of which are layered. These are SO PIGMENTED. 
04 Eye Belong -- jewelled blurple with cornflower, cool gold and bright pink shimmer
05 Eye Rock -- blackened green with hot pink, gold, lime and turquoise sparkles
07 Eye Doll -- duochrome olive/pink metallic, the smoothest of the three [think Deborah Lippmann's Sugar Daddy polish]
THREE Flash Performance Eyeliner Pencil swatches 04 Eye Belong 05 Eye Rock 07 Eye Doll
paper swatch, natural light

THREE Flash Performance Eyeliner Pencil swatches 04 Eye Belong 05 Eye Rock 07 Eye Doll
natural light, shade
THREE Flash Performance Eyeliner Pencil swatches 04 Eye Belong 05 Eye Rock 07 Eye Doll
natural light, full sun
THREE Flash Performance Eyeliner Pencil swatches 04 Eye Belong 05 Eye Rock 07 Eye Doll
dark room, flash
My comments on texture basically amount to a puddle of drool. These are the Suqqu Creamy Glow lipsticks [which, remember, total holy grail] of eyelinerdom. They blend, not like butter, but like water. Or air. Or nothing. They skate over your skin by themselves and perform a quadruple axle with APLOMB. Before making you dinner.

Reader, I married them.*

*No puppies or former wives were harmed in the making of these eyeliners. As far as I know. I'm pretty sure some kind of pact with the devil was involved though. Had to have been.

37 comments:

  1. So pretty. I find myself doing a lot of luxury-makeup math lately. That is, if even a $20 eyeliner is already technically a luxury item, then what ground is there to think that a $55 (at ichibankao prices) eyeliner is ridiculous? Or, alternatively, why *not* buy (fewer of) the really-luxurious and beautiful if the budget can bear it?

    Which, in a not-unrelated vein, I have to say: I trusted you about the Burberry under eye concealer, and you did not lead me astray. I took a deep breath and ordered #3, even though I'm pale (because I'm not as pale as you, and #2 is not salmony) and first impressions are very good. It looks scary, but blends perfectly. And apparently it wears like iron, if the wrist swatch I forgot to remove is any indication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy your clear-mindedness? (Now is that quite the word I want? heh) I do think that the all-makeup-is-a-luxury-ANYWAY can be quite liberating. Then again, I have found personal price points beyond which I can't go without regretting it. This may be a new one.

      And yay :)

      Delete
  2. WOW!!! The colours are amazing. Eye Doll reminds me of a richer, liner version of MAC Vex eyeshadow. Of course, they look all the more beautiful because you can't get them in the UK. I'm preparing to hit up Google as I type ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Vex is my favourite MAC eyeshadow, but this? BETTER.

      Delete
  3. These look amazingggg. You know how I love all things sparkly but these unique shades are really something special.

    However, I have a bone to pick with you. You got married? To makeup of all things? And you DIDN'T INVITE ME?! Heart = broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :O You left me first, ya shameless hussy!

      Delete
  4. Blast! Just when I thought my eyeliner stash was safe from interlopers! How would you compare these to the latest generation of YSL/GA/bT eyeliners? I need to knoooooow.

    Also- yay for shallow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! Sorry for the belatedness D:

      They are SO MUCH BETTER than anything out there. (Okay I haven't tried YSL yet -- what are these, pencils?) ByT is probably the closest, being similarly sparkly, but these make ByT feel like gritty, low-rent grit-sticks! Quite frankly.

      Delete
  5. Theses look so gorgeous. Nothing stays on my lids, I am willing to try anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh dear, well no guarantees as I have dry lids, but I was geekily excited to put them through the Singapore test ;)

      Delete
  6. Stunning. Now how the hell do I get them into my grubby little hands in the States. They are so unique and wearable at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I couldn't stand it, and ordered #7 through ichibankao... Happy Fourth of July to me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that's what I love about Ichibankao. There is *no* reason to order more than exactly the thing you want, since shipping is included in every price. In fact, the more you buy, the more ridiculous the shipping looks. One item, plus, say, ten dollars to ship it from Japan, seems okay to me, but the more items I multiply that $10/item by the more horrified I am.

      Delete
  8. Wow... those look amazing................... absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, I am in love. Those are GORGEOUS! want--want now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. funniest writing...I love blaming other people on my spend-isms: LOL at lets go all hippy on this standard family! Glad that Ichibankao is selling them so I'll browse & contemplate again: I still need more Addiction Cheeksticks anyway

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate, you witch! Enough with the enabling already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. they are so beautiful that they depressed me, as i cant a get hold of them from sydney :(
    x
    rena

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha, I laughed so hard when I read "2. It's all her fault." I knew you'd love these liners as much as I do. And I agree with you in regards to the whole obligatory need to own three (maybe more :P) of everything from this brand :D How did you get your paws on these? If you ever want anything, let me know!

    I just picked up 04 and 06, I swear I'll own them all by the end of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. an EVIL laugh? :D I can't wait for your EVIL swatches!

      Delete
    2. Always EVIL! I'm about to ruin you with my upcoming swatches, just you wait Kate (that was an unintentional rhyme)!!

      Can swatches be satanic???

      Delete
  14. sighhh... you enabler you! I just requested CP of 4 of these eyeliners!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I rarely wear any other line but black but I would use #7 as eyeshadow in heartbeat. And I need #5. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh god oh god oh god oh god.

    I need these.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy shiz, sooooo pretty! I wish more eyeliners came in such complex colours.

    Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is too too much... I just got back from Tokyo and I DIDN'T GET THESE - I am kicking myself now. On the plus side, I did pick up some Addiction pretties :). Eye Belong has just rocketed to the top of my shopping list for my next trip. I had been thinking about getting the RBR eye kohl in Vera - do you have that? I'd be interested to know how they compare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. \o/
      I do have Vera, and will post comparison swatches for you when I'm back home (so soon now). Texture-wise there is no comparison, I'm afraid. THREE > everything.

      Delete
    2. Thank you - I look forward to the swatches :)

      Delete
  19. omg i NEED THESE!! how can i get these in the US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry :( The most reasonable way is a Japanese friend/CP.
      Ichibankao.com stocks them but with a CRAZY markup.

      Delete
  20. I am SO jeallous! I am allergic to eyepencils (haven't found one yet I am not allergic to) which means I'll never be able to wear these beauties! They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH MAH GAWD. I wiped drool off my keyboard a few times when looking at the swatches. SO FLIPPING GORGEOUS. Hell. I wish the site had clearer pictures or color descriptions/swatches of all 8 shades. I know I need 05 and 07 for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I know! Well, I guess we'll just have to wait for SoLonelyInGorgeous to get THEM ALL, lol

      Delete
  22. I would wear all three colors, totally gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am a little late to the game here, but the google conversion is telling me that 1 EL is over FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS????????? Am I missing something here???

    ReplyDelete