Pages

Saturday, 21 July 2012

YSL Le Teint Touche Éclat Foundation swatches / reviewlet

***for this review bear in mind I'm currently at my most tanned: just on the lighter side of MAC NC/W15)

Le Teint Touche Éclat is YSL's new flagship foundation, to cash in on match their cult bestselling Touche Éclat brightener/concealer click pen. It comes in 22 shades, divided into three undertones (pink beige rose BR, neutral beige B and yellow beige doré BD), and retails for £28 for a standard 30ml in a glass pump bottle, with yon expected YSL gold blingy cap.

In the UK this is out by now at all the usual places (Boots, Selfridges, Debenhams, John Lewis, House of Fraser etc.) and a week's sample is yours for the asking. I noticed when testing the palest shades that the depths are staggered between the three undertones: Beige Rose (pink) runs palest, Beige Dore (yellow) darkest. I'm not sure if this difference carries on into darker shades [anyone care to weigh in via comments?] but there is a huge gulf between the three 10 shades:
swatch foundation YSL Le Teint Touche Éclat BR10 B10 BD10 Laura Mercier Silk Ivory

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Soft Ivory as a reference, then YSL Le Teint Touche Éclat BR10, B10 and BD10. In my opinion, B10 is more of a warm yellow than neutral and B10 is very warm yellow (both are much warmer than the yellow in LM Soft Ivory), while BR10 is less cool pink than neutral peach, but still warmer and a hair darker than Soft Ivory.

The top pic (with flash) shows that the YSL finish is a lot dewier than Silk Creme's satin-matte, while the bottom pic (natural light) displays Silk Creme's superiority at evening out skin texture (see how bumpy the three YSL swatches seem next to it?)

As the YSL official blahblah has it,
With no opaque powders, its perfecting texture evens the complexion and helps conceal your imperfections, while enhancing your skin’s natural beauty.
  • Illuminating foundation. Dimensional radiance. Weightless perfection. 
....and that's pretty much the case. It's a fairly watery-gel formula which offers sheer (just about buildable to light-medium) coverage and gives a healthy skin-like finish on my very dry skin, so on most it would translate as glowy if not all-out dewy.
In my opinion, Le Teint Touche Éclat is pretty meh. It doesn't feel radically weightless like Estée Lauder Invisible and does absolutely nothing for skin texture. It's true I've been spoilt lately being able to dabble in all the exquisite future-tech Japanese formulations in Hong Kong, but I honestly
don't think this YSL offering even measures up against a really good Western drugstore formula like Bourjois Healthy Mix (which offers more coverage while looking and feeling just as light on the skin).
For me, the strong synthetic 'cucumber' scent (which lingers for a few hours after application) is another point against it.

Ingredients
YSL Le Teint Touche Éclat foundation ingredients


In practice:
Bare face
'Fortuntely' my post-25hr-flight is somewhat bumpy and spotty, with helpful flaky and ruddy bits:

Wearing YSL Beige B10, applied with a flat paddle foundation brush: it evens out my skin slightly without really doing anything for the actual blemishes (red spots in middle of eyebrows, cheek and chin are still as obvious) or even the more serious patches of uneven pigmentation on my nose. Separate blemish-concealer definitely needed.

A more natural distance shows the mismatch between my face and neck with this shade: I would eyeball it as somewhere between NC15-20.


A better match for me currently (tanned for summer, remember) is Beige Rose BR10, which I would peg as a more neutral shade a little lighter than MAC NW15:
(I added spot concealer as needed here, pic is just to illustrate shade match, not coverage)

As it's functioning as our reference, and also as it's my perfect match right now (I usually have to mix with white/pink): Laura Mercier Silk Creme in Soft Ivory, offering far more coverage than the YSL without looking unnatural.
no spot-concealing needed, redness go bye-bye!
no floating head syndrome, woot!

43 comments:

  1. Good thing you were able to try the samples! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep yep! Phew. Still loads left in my wee sample jars... I may change my mind yet ;)

      Delete
  2. You know, I just posted I was intrigued by this foundation and that I was looking forward for your review, and here it is!!! This glowy finish is a really meh for me, since for us combo-oily skinned gals, glowy = oily :s
    Seems I'm not having a new foundation, and will stay with my beloved ELDWL, and with Burberry. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your base routine is perfect, Anne, no messing with it please!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Kate, i have now been put off this well and truly, no shade for me after all. They were heralding it as a revolution in foundation, not for my money, i've seen your skin look ten times more radiant than with this foundation. And on top of all of this we have a cucumber scent *sick in the corner* i'm not touching this with a barge pole. Thank you for the review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm glad to have helped, nausea and all ;)

      Delete
  4. I got a sample of this and for an oily skinned person or someone who tends to go oily this will make your face look super shiny. I looked in the mirror after about four hours and it looked like i'd spritzed water on my face!! Disaster. the initial finish is lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I love your username.
      2. I can definitely see that :(

      Delete
  5. May I ask what you use to spot conceal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celina, at the moment it's usually Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer. If I need 'spot' concealing in a slightly bigger spotty area, I usually go for a full-coverage foundation like the LM or Shu Uemura's Nobara.

      Delete
  6. I was really looking forward to this but reading your review makes me realize it's not the right product for me. I know I'd hate the fragrance and I appreciate your mentioning it in your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it helped :) Fragrance 'notes' are something I scan reviews for as well.

      Delete
  7. I already had a gut-feeling I wouldn't like it and your review is even more helpful for not even going to swatch it. I hate obviously sythetic scents and their lightest shade is dissapointlingly dark for the real lightskinned ones (not too fond about how they categorise into cool/warm either...where's neutral??). I'm not even too enthousiastic about the original Touche Eclat: I think Givenchy Mr. Light or your fave Burberry can do much better. Heck, even the Art Deco undereye concealer has better value.
    Still, it will be bought in tons by women (& some men) who still believe in it and find it easy to get

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on point as always -- this is selling like hotcakes according to the various SAs. It is easy to like if you're undemanding (sheer, spreadable and all that jazz)

      Delete
  8. There has been so much hype about this, builds the expectations. I'm sure I saw the ingredients somewhere and it was a complete no for acne prone skin. I do wish brands wouldn't scent their products so much given that people seem to be more sensitive these days. Anyhow I'll stop moaning ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moan away ;) It makes me feel like I'm truly back home; we're having Olympian moaning sessions atm.

      Delete
  9. Goodness, you have the most flawless, even complexion ever! Jealous! And that foundation, though meh, looks amazing on you! I didn't realize YSL's foundations were cucumber-scented though (unless this is the first foundation of theirs scented this way?). I love the Estee Lauder DayWear BB creme, but I LOATHE the cucumber scent. Why do beauty brands insist on torturing us this way?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do NOT :P My shaky camera hand helps loads.
      I think this is the first cucumber monstrosity from YSL :( Their icky mango scent also baffles me: I know 99 people who HATE it for every 1 who tolerates it.

      Delete
  10. I've had the opposite experience, I love this foundation! BR10 matches my skin perfectly and it doesn't irritate or feel heavy on my sensitive/combination skin. I was a bit meh about it initially but I gave it another go the other day and I do really think it's fantastic, really beautiful finish. But I think you're right, you've probably been spoiled by amazing Japanese makeup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear :) Base is so personal after all!

      Delete
    2. indubitably. What do you use to apply your foundation? it looks so bloody flawless! thanks

      Delete
  11. Thanks for this, and its great that you compared to something that's been out a long time (the LM) to give a reference to something readers may have already seen / used.

    May I ask if you use a primer, and if you do, which one? I use the LM SC in Soft Ivory as well, but the finish in your picture is nicer than what I achieve. It's probably because you start with better skin than I do, but it's worth asking on the off chance its the primer. :)

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Also somewhat circumstantial as LM is one of the few formulas I still own!

      I didn't use a primer under any of these, for a fairer test. In winter I usually use Suqqu Makeup Base Creamy underneath (for extra moisture) and mix the LM with RBR Sea of Tranqulity highlighter (white/pink).

      Delete
  12. For whatever reason, the YSL just didn't interest me ... but this has rekindled my desire to try LM SC in Soft Ivory. I think when I tried this foundation they didn't have Soft Ivory at the counter, because I just remember 'the lightest shade' being a lot too dark, so I didn't bother looking further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that American counters in particular often don't stock this shade. Should be around in the UK though :)

      Delete
    2. Hopefully I can escape from work a bit early sometime in the next couple weeks and peruse some counters before I catch my bus :D

      (I'll have to practice my oh-so-innocent sample-acquiring technique: "oh, you'd give me a sample but you're out of little jars? that's OK, I've got one here in my bag!")

      I've been meaning to visit the Shu counter anyhow, I'm all curious about the UV Base for some reason. I think it's because the foam sounds fun.

      Delete
  13. Where'd you get LM SC in Soft Porcelain? Everywhere I look, the lightest shade is Soft Ivory... nothing equally light but less yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my typo-prone fingers :P
      Sorry, it is Soft Ivory and I can see that it would be too yellow for you, mah dear :(

      Delete
  14. The Laura Mercier looks amazing on you, good evening coverage but still looking like real skin. The differences between the three undertones of YSL in the (alleged) same shade depth is pretty astonishing. Nothing is tempting me to try this foundation, I'm much more tempted to investigate the LM! Thank you so much for the excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope the LM works for you! It's an oldie but a goodie -- one of the few foundations I've actually used up and repurchased.

      Delete
  15. Wow beautiful. Great blog. I'm following you hope you follow me back too http://makeupbyremy.blogspot.com/
    My Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/makeupbyremy#

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful! it suits u amazingly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, I just like to play with foundations XD

      Delete
  17. "synthetic 'cucumber' scent (which lingers for a few hours after application)..."

    Welp, there goes my ladyboner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. check yo self out in the nearest mirror :P That should perk it right up, gorgeous

      Delete
  18. I was so excited about the release of this foundation and now you have me saying meh. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a helpful review. I agree that LM Silk Creme foundation is a fab product, it is one of the best foundations out there...I can't wait to check out the latest Japanese tech in beauty when I go to HK:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. (: thanks for the review!

    What latest Japanese tech in beauty (hong kong) are you referring to?
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I got a sample of this foundation, BD50 and loved it... however I do have dry skin so maybe that's why it works well for me, i love how the radiant finish you have when you put it on stays throughout the day, I also hate anything to heavy on my skin so i've found this to be perfect! get me to a ysl counter

    ReplyDelete
  22. I bought it and after a few hours my face is glowy and shiny, one photograph of myself I was shinning like a light. It looks amazing on my face but I keep wiping it off with the oil that comes off with a water shine on my fingers so Im not sure if its really worth it. expensive too. maybe just stick to touche eclat (the pen)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What do you use to apply the LM? I tried it on my hand at the counter and it's SOOO thick! I too have dry roseacea-ish cheeks and I imagine it would be very difficult to spread it out and blend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a miniscule amount on a damp beauty blender. In winter I'd mix in some RBR liquid illuminator.
      And I always apply over freshly moisturised + primed skin. It is thick but FULL of silicones and has a great deal of slip, so I've never had a problem spreading it out (remember to shake well first). But remember I'm constrained by how pale my skin is -- if you have a skintone within the 'average' range I'm sure you'd be able to find matches in formulas you prefer.

      Delete