Pages

Monday, 6 August 2012

Guerlain M25 Colère Rouge G L'Extrait: First Look

This season is the season of the liquid lipstick, and I for one will be exalting and worshipping at their footstool [which like most real biblical phrases, sounds like totally made-up Pratchettian, cf. 'the blind are leading the blind and they shall fall into ditches.']

Anyway, thanksgiving&worship&all that -- I'm sure your appetites have already been whetted as mine were by delicious reviews at Get Lippie, Messy Wands and Temptalia. So let's roll on with the shade that I personally came home with, M25 Colère:
Guerlain Rouge G L'Extrait liquid lipstick M25 Colere
note that the inner tubes are a uniform dark red -- I thought at first that the SA had given me the wrong shade 
On my pale, neutral skintone, Colère reads as a neon-bright coral red -- quite close to how Gourmandise looks on Temptalia's Christine.

Comparison swatches
Guerlain Rouge G L'Extrait M25 Colere Lancome Corset YSL Glossy Stain 9 Rouge Laque Revlon Strawberry Suede Illamasqua Intense Gloss Mistress Hourglass Femme Rouge Muse

The pinkness in Colère really comes through in contrast to orange-red YSL Glossy Stain #9 Rouge Laque; but it's also evident against the other corals I own, contrasting with the stronger orange tones in Revlon Strawberry Suede, Illamasqua Intense Gloss Mistress and Hourglass Femme Rouge Muse.
Lancôme Colour Design Matte Corset is closest to Colère, but with more muted rosiness in contrast to Colère's saturated brightness. Corset's more traditional matte finish also contributes to its softer look, whereas Colère surface is so smooth as to glow from within:

Lip swatch

Application: I used a lip brush (Hakuhodo Misako Portable), not the included doefoot, because on my dry lips (even over balm) this lightweight formula starts setting as soon as it hits skin and needs to be worked in carefully then quickly smoothed out to avoid streaking. Glooping on too much at once or trying to patch up afterwards can cause the colour to ball up. It's quite unique in my experience of lip stuff [the closest might be ByTerry's silicone- and pigment-rich Rouge Terrybly formula] and there's a bit of a learning curve; the best analogues would be tubing mascaras or oil-controlling primers or rubber-finish nail polishes but, like those, once you get the hang of it, these Rouge G L'Extraits don't take longer to apply than any other product.

The ingredients list reads to me (not a nexpert, remember) like a very advanced face primer with pigments in and Colère does have a texture-blurring and line-filling effect on lips. It also does feel like a very luxe primer if you press your lips together -- there's no stickiness, heaviness or creaminess but it isn't truly weightless like an Beauté stain or Addiction Colour Lipstick either.
Guerlain Rouge G L'Extrait liquid lipstick ingredients


As for wear-time, we're deep into your-mileage-may-vary territory, because unlike previous reviewers I found these quite average for a saturated lipstick -- no eight-hours-plus-meals perfection here and no shadow of a challenge to the YSL Glossy Stains.

After a few drinks (it will transfer slightly to cups/glasses, if you're bothered by that):
The slight patchiness towards the centre of the lips is only clearly visible in close-up, definitely liveable-with in real life.

After a typical pig-out meal, a pretty, even coral sheer-matte tint
See, this is what I mean by average wear. Not a diss in any way -- I actually adore the shade this ends up as. Even so, it's not quite a stain: if you try to refresh it with lipbalm as with a traditional stain (Hourglass, Beaute etc.) the Guerlain colour will readily transfer onto the balm, and move around the lips; a gloss will sheer out the colour further and mix into it rather than going over the top neatly. 

It's a trade-off I personally am fine with -- as you can see from the last picture, this Rouge G L'Extrait leaves my lips looking plump and feeling comfortable for hours without balm touch-ups and, and I'd much rather this than a more indelible formula that looks dry from the get-go and then deteriorates steadily (Rouge D'Armani, Lancôme Rouge In Love). After four days of continuous wear, it's clear that Rouge G L'Extrait is kinder on my lips than YSL or Beauté/Hourglass stains, although unsurprisingly less moisturising than my favoured creamy lipsticks.

Sorry if I've been uncharacteristically muted in this review. I'm trying my very hardest to be fair about the formula because the shade, people, the shade. OMG IT IS SO PERFECT I DON'T EVEN.
eyes: Addiction Lady of the Lake and Moonwalk liners, Lancôme Hypnose Drama WP // cheeks: RMS Modest // base: Shu  Uemura UV Brightening Mousse, Burberry concealer, copious amounts of RBR Sea of Clouds highlighter

Guerlain Rouge G L'Extrait (made in France) are lightly candied-violet-scented, demi-matte-finish liquid lipsticks in the signature clunky mirrored packaging wot I hate. It comes in seven permanent shades (named somewhat surreally for the seven deadly sins -- envious orange, really?) and retail at £29.50 for 6ml.

10 comments:

  1. Kate, this is a lovely shade. I want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's rare to see a matte finish lipgloss. Hm...I want to rush to the store now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate! I'm a new reader, after doing a tweet out of people's favourite beauty blogs. I already *adore* Drivel About Frivol.

    Ahhh it really is such a perfect shade! Really beautiful on your skin tone. :) I am impressed that it fades evenly, too, and the colour that remains is really flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry 'bout that. wrong account. Also, thanks for the link, Drivelling One!

    I tried every shade at the counter last week and was like EHMEHGERD COLOR!!! But decided that precisely because of that I shouldn't buy anything unless I'm still like that after two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This color is ah-ma-zing. Just wow. Of course it helps that you're a great beauty :)
    I'm so intrigued by the formula, but concerned that a.) I'll hafta use a lip brush (when I'm so lazy 'bout that) and b.) I can't pop a balm on top later in the day without the color going wonky. But it just may be worth it! Btw, any idea to how this formula compares to the new HG liquid lipstick?

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fabulous! I love the wear down on you, it fades wonderfully and not patchy at all. Your lips look plump, smooth and saturated with color. A win in my book! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always think the Guerlain G packaging would work as a weapon in a pinch, they are so heavy.

    Back on topic - perfect summer red. I love the colour, and love it on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. Such a beautiful red on you. I have been drooling over the orange shade since they arrived on counters here. Your description of the texture and wear on the lips is edging me closer to pulling the trigger on this one! Sadly just from swatching Colere on my hand I can see that it will just pull too pink on me, and look nothing like the lovely brightening coral red that it is on you.

    ReplyDelete