Pages

Friday, 31 August 2012

Suqqu Autumn 2012 Collection Swatches

Suqqu's latest collection has finally landed in the UK and as the half-arsed title suggests ('Pink', really?) this is another collection that's unified more by textures than by colour-story.

(As always with Suqqu, the EX- prefix means the item is limited edition.)

The shiniest of new shinies are the three eyeshadow palettes (£45) which for the first time, contain a cream pan -- pigmented enough to use as liner, blendable enough to work as a base. The bottom right pan is Suqqu's usual powder primer base (this goes under the cream even if you are using that all over the eye). The two top pans are both richly pigmented dimensional shimmers of a very similar feel to the top right pan from the quints released this spring. It's a typically thoughtful departure from Suqqu's usual practice of having a sheerer, more sparkly shadow in the top left pan; both of these are pigmented enough to layer alone over the cream to create a radically different shade, rather than just adding a shimmery highlight.

Swatches: I skipped the powder primers and swiped the three main shades separately (powders with the included sponge tips, cream with my pinky finger) once; for the rightmost stripe, I blended out the cream over the powder primer and swept both powder shadows over it.

EX-07 Tsukiakari (月灯, moonlight) makes for a lovely murky purple/grey haze when combined or layered but worn separately the shades give an interesting warm/cool contrast, which makes this a slightly better replacement for my beloved discontinued 01 Kakitsubata than 12 Konruri. Comparison swatches and a few looks with it are here.
Suqqu Blend Eyeshadow palette swatch EX-07 Tsukiakari


13 Akanezora (茜空, lit. madder sky) mixes to a lovely taupe but I think it best evokes the ruddy sunsets of its name when worn in staggered layers in a rosy smokey eye. This combination of cool pink, peachy rose and yellow-brown reminds me of the recently discontinued 05 Sakurakaba quad.
Suqqu Blend Eyeshadow palette swatch 13 Akanezora


14 Kosumosuiro ( 秋桜色, lit. autumn cherry-blossom) is named for the cosmos flower whose vivid blossoms are supposed to evoke the early autumnal mood just as the pink-and-white sakura herald spring. For those with richer inner lives than mine, presumably. The green/bronze/peach combo is undeniably lovely and feels very right as the nights draw in, even if their richness of tone evokes plush velvets, murky tweeds and soft wool jumpers for me, rather than anything as artless as flowers.... Suqqu's 07 Komorebi (lit. sunlight-through-trees) quad is a much more delicately bucolic take on a similar combination.
Suqqu Blend Eyeshadow palette swatch 14 Kosumosuiro



Another, more sneakily new release: two limited-edition blush duos called Gradation Cheeks (£38). All the shades are satins, significantly less shimmery than the blush duos from spring, slightly less visible shimmer than in the Shiseido powders but with more of a kick than those from Rouge Bunny Rouge or Burberry.

EX-01 Mizudaidai (瑞橙, juicy orange) is a pairing of soft warm apricot with palest peach.
[I'm trying to avoid the word 'fleshy' here but it's swirling around my brain so why not yours too.]
Suqqu Gradation Cheeks  blush duo swatches EX-01 Mizudaidai

As requested I compared the left side of EX-01 Mizudaidai (centre) with Armani #2 (left) and Nars Douceur (R):


EX-02 Mizumomo (瑞桃, juicy pink) combines a pale pink-tinged white [not swatched as invisible on my skin -- would work as highlight on NC/W20+] with a bright, cool pink, compared here against Addiction Amazing powder and Nars Gaiety.
Suqqu Gradation Cheeks  blush duo swatches EX-02 Mizumomo


Finally, the five lipsticks are all in Suqqu's sheer jelly Creamy Glow Moist formula (£27). Three pretty, populist shades are permanent expansions of the line: 03 Fuyuzakura, 04 Tsuirokokemomo and 05 Usunadeshiko go from pinkest to orangiest on the warm pink-peach scale. Swatches are all 3-4 swipes layered, taken in natural light.
Suqqu Creamy Glow Moist Lipstick swatches 03 Fuyuzakura, 04 Tsuirokokemomo, 05 Usunadeshiko


Of the limited edition releases, EX-05 Hanabotan is a shimmery browned rose and EX-06 Maaka a warm strawberry red -- a great one to try if you find most sheer reds pull pink/fuchsia, this is not as pink as Lipstick Queen Medieval but has less brown than Shiseido Natural Red.
Suqqu Creamy Glow Moist Lipstick swatches EX-05 Hanabotan EX-06 Maaka


The last item in this collection is a very subtly (wears as translucent on me) cool-pink-toned Chiffon Feel Loose Powder which is slightly more moisturising while giving a slightly more matte finish than the regular Nuancing Loose Powder Natural. You get 19g instead of the usual 15g for £40, and the ingredients differ only... er... slightly between the two formulations:
Suqqu Chiffon Feel Loose Powder ingredients
Suqqu Nuancing Loose Powder Natural ingredients

21 comments:

  1. Oh wow Suqqu, I am drooling Kate, I am proud I resisted these.Tsukaikari looks awfully tempting though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. proud resister high fives!
      ...although I may go back for Tsukiakari. It's AWFULLY pretty.

      Delete
  2. oh my god.. lemming tsukiakari and maaka even more now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the counters don't seem to have been mobbed this year :) You have some time to sit and think

      Delete
  3. You are truly great, thank you so much for these x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :D I did have to DRAG my lazy arse to the counter on the coldest August day EVAR

      Delete
  4. Gosh, stunning and complex colours
    About the EX-02 Mizumomo (eh, yeh...a peach cloned and muted into cool pink?)...Do you rate the texture higher than Addiction Amazing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, it's tricky to say because I didn't buy the Suqqu (bit expensive for half a blush!) but based on swatching I think it feels slightly smoother/creamier because of the shimmer.

      Delete
  5. I initially went "Wait, what?" at Mizumomo, but then I remember... Momoiro (peach-colored) is the Japanese word for pink.

    I'm drooling over the layered swatch of Kosumosuiru (fancy kanji, but it basically refers to the cosmos flower). I'd probably prefer a single eyeshadow in that color complex rather than having to layer, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. makeup blogging is helping me with all manner of 'useless' colour and botanical words :)

      Delete
  6. Hello
    Thank you very much by the swatches? May I ask if you bought the lipsticks in 03 and EX6 or if you considered them too warm? My colouring is similar to yours.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I didn't buy them because I'm trying to cut back on sheer formulas. But I DID try both those shades on and found them very flattering :)

      Delete
  7. THANK you for the excellent swatches! When one has to order sight unseen then swatches are all one has to go on for some idea of color accuracy & texture.
    I tried swatching some shadows for a friend recently & discovered that it's a LOT harder than I had expected.
    Getting ones arm in place and angling the camera plus single handedly trying to achieve some degree of focus had me swearing with frustration. After this little excercise I appreciate your accurate swatches & accompanying descriptions more than ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my.. what a complete swatch! Kozumosuiro looks unusual compared to other Suqqu eyeshadow colors! That blush also very pinkish and the color pops :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am actually tempted by these, and I've been a bit meh on Suqqu since the last revamp. I do like the idea of the cream to layer with the powder eyeshadows, and Tsukiakari is my kind of sludge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking at Tsukiakari, I wish I didn't buy Konruri. Would you say that Tsukiakari is deeper, more jewel-toned, and maybe a shade cooler than Konruri?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear Kosumosuiro is simply calling out to me! Thank you so much for switching them my dear! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...you are a SUQQU enabler... the Kosumosuiro palette is just gorgeous and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for these swatches. So helpful!

    I cannot believe how incredible Suqqu palettes are...they make my aging eyes look larger, brighter, younger and prettier. Have purchased 4 in the past two months and want more!

    ReplyDelete