Pages

Saturday, 22 September 2012

Dolce & Gabbana Sole

Dolce & Gabbana Sole blush was a recent, rare impulse buy (I usually prefer to revel in the research part of makeup geekery), but an entirely successful one. It combines two of my very favourite things, red blush and season fetishism*, to give a perfectly glorious summer-shading-into-autumn slightly sunburnt flush.

*Of course, my personal approach to 'seasonality' encompasses working-against (or -at-a-tangent or what have you) as well as working-with; I don't restrict myself to a Puritanical diet of cabbage, squash and gnarly carrots in winter so why play at it in makeup?

Uh, I mean, shiny!

I don't love gold packaging as a rule, but hey, this is actually pretty tasteful for D&G. Nice rounded corners, pretty hefty. Includes an averagely useless mini brush. Not pretty enough to prevent me from depotting it as soon as I can work out the construction.

The Goods
i.e. smooth, pigmented, blendable-with-fingers, wears-true-all-day, unadulterated deliciousness. You know how long-winded and nitpicky I can be so let the shortness and sweetness of this review speak for itself -- this is one of the best powder blush formulas I've ever tried. End of.


Swatch, unblended (sponge) and blended (Suqqu Cheek Brush):
natural light
In general I find warm (orange/coral) red blushes more flattering than cool (pink/blue) ones -- because of the coolness in my skin a warmer red once blended out reads closer to neutral or 'true' red; a cool red combined with the pink in my cheeks tips over too easily into my natural fevered/rosacean/drunk flush. Which is a long-winded way of saying: if I can get a look by slapping myself, I aint going to pay for slap that's the same colour.

Still, within the context of my wardrobe, Sole is the warmest/most orange shade of red I own. And because seasonality is by definition contextual, that probably explains why it functions as my white-shades-and-polka-dot-bikini blush....

Paired with glowy, bronzed skin (Rouge Bunny Rouge Sea of Clouds highlighter and As If It Were Summer Still bronzer) and a complementary orange-red lip (YSL Glossy Stain 9 Rouge Laque), Sole makes this simple look less Snow White and more Rosy the Riveter.
okay...maybe I got a little slap-happy with the bronzer
Another bit of sunlight (I said it was a fetish OKAY) in the wing: THREE Ziggy pigment mixed with Illamasqua Sealing Gel. Other eye makeup: GOSH white kohl, Fasio Curl Lock Mascara Volume.
Minimal beach-girl base (fetish fetish fetish) with strategic dots of Becca Compact Concealer Meringue and Browlash EX Eyebrow Pencil Natural Brown.

Ingredients

34 comments:

  1. Ok D and G blush is going to be my next item on my shopping list. Sole looks so nice on you but I am fearful of reddish blushes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fear, Jacqueline, they would be beautiful on you!

      Delete
  2. GORGEOUS!!!! Red blush looks incredible on you -well, most shades look incredible on you as a matter of fact. Anyway, this looks amazing, I wish D&G was sold over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is ridiculously pretty, on you and as a product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, as always <3
    xxkarima

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I wish I had your skin tone, orange-based reds look absolutely riveting on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The entire look comes
    together beautifully!
    I think I will try.

    Thanks, Drivel for your divine creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwn lovely Kate, why so beautiful??

    I'm so sad we don't have D&G here, now. A couple of years ago I ordered 2 quads from the US (cost me a kidney in shipping) and they're not that great pigmentation wise but I keep them because they're so pretty (what a shame, I know). Now you make me want to try this blush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! Tried this line when it first came out and was not impressed with the shadows and lipsticks...then I happened to pass a counter while with some MUAers :P

      Delete
  8. I just love this whole business.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG thats a GORGEOUS blush!!! Unfortunately they dont sell D&G make up in Holland (dare I say Europe?), but Im totally okay with drooling over it tho.

    Kate, have you ever came across a simular coloured blush so far? #Ineedthiscolour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandra! I'm afraid I haven't :( Will take it out for some serious swatching and report back.

      Delete
  10. Wow! That is seriously bright! And you pull it off so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmmmm I really really like it, esp. with the yellow blouse. Very beautiful, thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the blush, but hate things that have useless brushes taking space. I need more red blushes in my life you make me considering this one...as always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! This is kind of a different look for you, I think - or maybe it's just the yellow shirt, idk - but I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, Kristina I love (and wear) that shirt so often I have to remember to leave it out of FOTD pics to prevent "shower much?" type comments

      Delete
  15. That is a beautiful red flush. I may have to hunt the cream version of this as I no longer buy powder blushes - for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  16. God, I will never cease to be amazing by how friggin PRETTY you are! And no one can rock a bold, fresh lip and perfectly flushed cheeks like you can!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a rush of color! And only you could deconstruct a blush: bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks gorgeous on you. But this post is even more fabulous! It made me laugh, and I know I'll be able to re-read it later and enjoy it just as much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It gives you the complexion of children in a Renaissance painting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The blush is beautiful and so are you! Seriously, I could neeeeever pull off this color but it looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow it looks gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely! And this would explain why Illa Panic is a disaster on my cool/neutral skin, while Exhibit A works well!
    For Fall, would love to see this lip swapped for Chanel Coromandel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fistbump* It was after seeing how 'true' Illa Panic read on yellow-toned ladies on MUA that this thing finally crystallised for me. Panic is panic-worthy on me too.

      Delete
  23. It looks so bold in the pan but so subtle and pretty on the cheeks....I think with super high end cosmetics...you either go very conservative or go all out....and this is def an "all-out" product that is dazzling...

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is gorgeous! EEEEEEEEK! I was wanting to pass up on this because I have NARS Exhibit A and cannot purge that for sentimental reasons but that is gorgeous! Is the formula of the other colors similar?

    ReplyDelete