Pages

Friday, 12 October 2012

Butter London Gobsmacked

Butter London make my holy grail basecoat as well as some of my very favourite nail polishes. I would find it painful to compile a top ten polish list without Disco Biscuit, Tart with a Heart, Yummy Mummy and Wallis.

Sadly, formulas vary* and Gobsmacked, new for autumn, will not be joining them. This gorgeous shade of rained-on asphalt, this rare pigmented-but-neither-flat-nor-frosty glitter suspension, this complex but de-grittified-with-one-thin-layer-of-topcoat texture...is a gloopy mess. I've thinned it twice in as many weeks and am coming to realise it's a losing battle against epic, epic proportions -- we're talking forces of entropy aligned in shining array with alien invaders from planet mucilaginous molasses etc. here -- of glutinosity.

Sigh. Two coats, sandwiched between Butter London base and top. Freakishly bright sunlight.
as you can see, the art of filing is still a mystery to me....

Much more colour-accurate comparison, to illustrate how perfectly this filled a niche in my wardrobe D:
 two coats each of: Suqqu EX-10 // OPI My Private Jet // Butter London Gobsmacked // and The Black Knight 

So this is less a review than a plea for help: any dupes for this magical syrup of sparklies? It's been out for weeks out -- that's generations in nail terms surely?


*Other BL shades that sucked on me: Knackered (sheer and streaky), Marrow and Macbeth (gloopy, too thick, never dried), Rosie Lee (five coats and still VNL? DNW. Also chipped as soon as I looked at it).

BL shade that kind of sucks formula-wise but I forgive all because it's so pretty: No More Waity, Katie.

Bonus BL thing that sucked for me: ordering through their website. Two weeks for a shipping confirmation? Two MONTHS and ten international phonecalls (ceased counting emails long ago) to get a human and secure a refund for the missing items in my order?

24 comments:

  1. Aw that sucks that the formula isn't great, because the color is so pretty! I have Knackered, & I agree on it's sheer & streakiness. But have you ever applied it over a black polish? The holo glitter comes out & it's gorgeous! I also have Royal Nacy & one that I can't think of the name of but is a mint green color, both are nice quality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, if only I'd whined about this earlier... I ended up getting the Barry M dupe :D Which I much preferred.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kate,
    It is sad to know that gobsmacked has poor formula. My lovely jubbly also has very poor formula. When I used it for the first time, it is already goopy and very thick. I love the color but it's just painful to apply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, thank you for this. That one was on my list as well :(

      Delete
  3. OHMYGODWHATISTHAT!!!

    I've sort of given up on Butter London. There are more duds than wins throughout and the frustration+wasted money just turned me off :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Problem is, when they work for me, they are THE best formula. I just can't quit you --- uh --- them.

      Delete
  4. I like the words "mucilaginous" and "glutinous". But not in my nail polish. I only have No More Waity, Katie, which I bought for the name (have you ever done that?) but it was disappointingly sheer and prettier in the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I KNOW. She is a problem child but I love her. <---- I only assign genders to my favourite colours.

      Delete
  5. I have heard that about the international website before. Butter London polishes are so inconsistent. Artful Dodger is one of my favourite polishes ever (not just for my Dickens fetish either), but NMWK is so sheer, and Branwen's Feather (while beautiful) is one of the 'takes a million years to dry'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aha! Dickens fetish :D Have you read PTerry's latest? I am so curious....

      Delete
  6. You made it look so pretty, now I want it! Despite the spotty formula and terrible customer service. Will check it out in the shops in London!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selfridges now has testers for many of the shades :D

      Delete
  7. I (sadly) agree with what you said. That's the reason I don't buy from them anymore, ro many quality differences. Have you tried Zoya feifei or daul? it seems like colours you might like / Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love many Zoya shades but have problems with their signature glitter looking more frosty on me XD Is Feifei frosty or more glittery IYO?

      Delete
    2. hm, mix of both but I would say more glittery. I love how it looks differently, depending on the lighting D:

      Delete
  8. the only BL polish I've bought was Wallis and that was bad enough to put me off any others - completely different colour on the nail to in the bottle, chipped within hours of application. It's a shame - many of the colours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, Wallis is a dream on me. One coat perfection, wears for weeks.

      Delete
  9. Megan Nicholls13 October 2012 17:26

    Dupe! Dupe/maybe a little better:

    http://www.scrangie.com/2012/08/cirque-colors-dark-horse-nail-polish.html

    Cirque Colors in Dark Horse. Check Scrangie's review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that looks lovely but a bit more refined XD I love the grit (almost literally, lol) in Gobsmacked

      Delete
  10. aww, why change a good thing so now it's gloopy-vile? Good to see you're chattier again :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *types like the wind* :D you leave the nicest comments, birkie

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the head's up. Sad to hear :( I just signed up for butter London's newsletter/e-mails TODAY. I was all "They have so many more shades on their site...must order direct." Also, I have 6, yes 6, BL un-trieds from a recent birthday haul. Hope they are up to snuff<<<<maybe that should be a shade name?! mac222@MUA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit to being fonder of their cheesetastic names than I should be :D Despite my moaning in this post I may yet order 3 of their holiday shades blind.

      Delete