Pages

Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Flappy Halloween

This is very small beer compared to the plight of those in Sandyland -- may you and your loved ones stay safe, warm and online -- but my personal woecake is that I'm spending Halloween at home this year D: owing a little bit to inclement weather but mostly to incompetent friends who couldn't throw a party if they had a Fisher Price grenade launcher. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

Although the grumpy old woman within me is secretly kind of glad since a) it is wet, windy and cold, b) I haz far too many treats and like to stay close for embezzling convenience, and c) getting done up in an ambitious costume is a wee bit less appealing after a long work day than it used to be after a school day....

But Halloween is still my second favourite holiday (obvs Guy Fawkes' is the depotter's holiday) so I cobbled something together in which to open the door, from random bits I had in the closet...

...but mainly from Shu Uemura Prestigious Bordeaux -- oh yes, for we are still in a proper torrid death-shall-not-us-part clinch. (Which is much less scary now that I've freed the delicious pans from Vampire Dora's pernicious grip -- more on that later.)
Pot: Barry M Dazzle Dust 84 Cherry Red
Pans all Shu: Top two and bottom right pans from Prestigious Bordeaux, ME 786, G745
Tubes: Rouge Bunny Rouge Lola automatic eye pencil, Angels' Play eye gloss, YSL Glossy Stain 9 Rouge Lacque

Turban, brooch and pearls are all cheapy charity shop toys.


Inspiration: Moon of My Delight (Henry Clive, 1934) via captainspaceburger


Look


My camera freaked out a bit over all the glitter so I couldn't get a proper eye close-up -- this is the most in-focus eye shot I managed:



PRODUCTS
Angel's Play as base to get a little of that oil-slickness from HC's brushstrokes.
Prestigious Bordeaux purple on the inner and outer v, blended out with ME786, brought higher up at the inner corner for that partly rounded '30s shape.
Lola smudged along lashline and outer v, and blended out with the Prestigious Bordeaux bronze.
Lower lashline: PB bronze from outside in and ME786 from the inside out.
Dab of Cherry Red in inner corner, and G745 on centre of mobile lid.
PB red blush on the very upper edge of cheekbones.
Rouge Lacque on lips (1 coat).


Obviously I didn't bother with period brows or falsies :P So just used my usual Browlash EX Natural Brown pencil to curve the ends of my brows down a bit more, and L'Oreal Telescopic False Lash WP mascara applied at an angle to pull my lashes towards the outer corners.

Base: Laura Mercier Silk Creme Soft Ivory + Suki CC Cream Purple mix, RBR Sea of Clouds. I skipped undereye concealer because lazy ghoulish!


I may be handing out E-number-filled crap, but be assured I will be regaling all unfortunate children with a lecture on 1920s/30s makeup, which is, like, totally brain food :P

35 comments:

  1. :O Your skills never fail to astound me. Those eyes are just DREAMY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. miss koushi! :D Check you out, all untrashy and stuff :D

      Delete
  2. You look amaaaaaaazing!!! The eyes are perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look amazing, dear! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely nailed all the points on the inspiration pic! Loooooove the eyes, they're just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! You are practically forcing me to buy that Shu palette... This looks brilliant. I particularly love the blush placement. Also, Chie Mihara shoes are my favourites -- beautiful :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like the same things :D
      Please share some of your clothes spotting adventures in Tokyo -- I miss the inspiration

      Delete
    2. I will do :). So far I've seen a lot of French paysanne and Scandi inspired outfits, but I'm going to be interested to see how people deal with the increasingly cold weather. I'm currently obsessed with lipstick spotting here. It seems so rare to see anyone wearing a bright lip colour that I always get unreasonably excited when I notice it!

      Delete
  6. Oh to be trick or treating and you open the door... Hahaha, you lecture makes me laugh.

    Seriously though, looking at the picture and what you came up with, you left me very impressed. Especially the eye makeup, it is dead on! The whole look is amazing.

    Have a Happy All Hallows' Eve everyone! (Just because it sounds prettier that way.)

    (Yay for me being stuck with assignments! *Sigh* Back to work for me.)

    Leila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Too much time spent as tutor/teacher, my instinct upon seeing kids is to stuff information into their unwilling brains. I mean, braiiiiiiiins :D

      Delete
  7. Guy Hawkes >>> Halloween, though I suppose burning anything in effigy is too politically fraught these days? :)

    You did a Fan-FORKING-tastic job recreating the flapper look! Would love to see more of these, including outfit + accessories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh JY, you need to come visit. Lewes still rigs up the pope (a quite realistic one I might add) every year, but London cycles through the media villains du jour....

      Delete
  8. You did an amazing job! i am really glad I got to see this ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW you look incredible!!! So wonderfully done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look fantastic for just throwing this look together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous look, and you are making me really want that glossy stain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the eyeshadows, the blush, and overall look! Would love to have the eyebrow space to go colorful with eyeshadows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I always long for beautiful low brows for looks like this:
      http://media-cache-ec4.pinterest.com/upload/43628690111718963_JoDcF1g1.jpg

      Delete
    2. yup, those are some might nice brows...maybe once I figure out how to shade mine, they can look as nicely dense.

      Delete
  13. Love it, and your sophisticated inspiration. My favorite bit is the little dab of cherry. Does Angel's Play play angelically with friends, or is it at risk of BigStickyMess?

    I would have spent 2,000 years trying to get those hair curls just-so; eventually achieved them ... and then decided they look like out-of-control side-burns, and gotten rid of them. I know this from experience.

    No fun make-ups for me, (it's hard to be Empathic!, Congruent!, and show Unconditional Positive Regard! when the other party is peering curiously at your face) but I did wear my GiganticOrangeSkirt to counselling class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (ily)

      I use Angel's Play most often as a base -- these shadows are creamy which is why it tips into slickness, but under mattes it just adds a little more blendability. I do have freakishly dry lids though :)

      Hair isn't even on my radar; I think I bought this turban on a baaaaadhair day deciding flapperish eccentricity would be easier to swing than belated grunge.

      ORANGE is the colour of positive regard!

      Delete
  14. AWESOME. I love that shade of purple on your lids, as well as the blush placement - maybe not for everyday (the blush, not the e/s) but it looks fantastic as a part of this look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually find a lot of 20s placements really flattering! :D

      Delete
  15. Honestly, I have no idea how you manage to fit in all your daily activities in a day, working, knitting, baking, reading, blogging, being creative with makeups...You're my heroine and this post is just swell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 the secret is I do everything half-arsed :)

      Delete
    2. Oy, this post and the way you look is a good example that you do everything full-arsed LOL

      Delete
  16. That is one Clive I always wanted to recreate! Lovely my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs* please do it! I loved seeing your Clivey looks

      Delete
  17. I love the whole look, very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome job

    The suki cc cream, there's only one listed on sasa, do they only do the one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah, Suki makes 3 skintoned shades (01-03) of CC cream as well as 3 correctors (yellow, green, purple), of which mine is one.
      This is the purple:
      http://web3.sasa.com/SasaWeb/eng/product/viewProductDetail.jspa?itemno=105609406015

      Delete
  19. OMG! STUNNING. *jaw drops*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely love this. You are a true artist.

    ReplyDelete