Pages

Saturday, 27 October 2012

Holiday 2012 Swatches: Suqqu, Shu, Guerlain

SUQQU FLOWER BOUQUET COLLECTION
Two coffrets, each containing a limited edition Blend Eyeshadow palette, a Mascara Volume Long N 01 (black, 4g) and travel sizes of Reset Cleansing Cream and Refining Foam. They are released on November 2nd in the UK and will retail for £58.

Makeup Kit A comes with a blingy silver pouch and a pinky-brown palette, EX-09 Momoawayuki 桃淡雪.


Makeup Kit B has a gold-toned pouch and palette, EX-10 Hikarikonayuki 光粉雪.

Both palettes are warm brown variations, and include five powder shadows:
          very pigmented satin liner (bottom left)
          pigmented metallic (top left)
          very pigmented shimmery metallic (top right)
          split pan with a lavender satin and an ivory matte (bottom right)
Overall they felt more opaque than Suqqu's usual shadows -- while imbued with the brand's signature ultrafine iridescent sparkle, these powders seemed to have a denser, heavier base. The rich, almost-creamy textures would appeal to fans of the newer Suqqu textures (showcased in quads 09-11).
   

EX-09 Momoawayuki

EX-10 Hikarikonayuki


Swatches with EX-09 on top and EX-10 on the bottom row. Each swatch was patted on with sponge applicators as usual onto bare skin, and I skipped the right sides of the split pans.
The first (natural light) picture is most colour-accurate -- there is a really interesting cool plum note in the deepest shade of EX-10 contrasting with the lush golds. The brighter pictures are to give a better idea of the textures.


SHU UEMURA PRESTIGIOUS BORDEAUX AND GUERLAIN TURANDOT / LIU
While playing with the various Holiday collections today, I noticed a predominance of reddish, rusty brown tones and denser, heavier textures. One element on its own I can usually swing, in what is hopefully fetchingly consumptive fashion (ahem), but the two in combination tend to wear me. 
A makeupalley pal wondered whether Shu Uemura's Prestigious Bordeaux palette stood out enough from the velvet crowd, and my considered answer is, "Yes, yes, a million times yes". 

TOP: Prestigious Bordeaux, with the blush pan swatched above the shadows
MIDDLE: Guerlain Turandot quad
BOTTOM: Guelain Liu palette shadows 


SHU UEMURA X KARL LAGERFELD SMOKEY VELVET



SHU UEMURA X KARL LAGERFELD LIPSTICKS
These were very sheer and balmy -- my swatches are 3 layers each. They never 'set' and retained a glossy translucency even after a few hours on my hand.
Parisienne Pink, Celebrity Beige, Mon Shu Red, Luxe Burgundy

SHU UEMURA X KARL LAGERFELD PAINTING LINER
Aptly named Black Purple Satin, this felt creamier and more pigmented than the usual Shu Painting Liners. A rich neutral purple resting on a more reddened purple base, this has very fine warm red and copper microshimmer which is only visible with flash. Used to draw a fine line, this read as a dark purple (rather than black) satin on me.

21 comments:

  1. Strangely drawn to Momoawayuki. How similar is that brown shade to Addiction Fudge? Though it's really that soft lilac that kills me. Which would you say would fare better on neutral cool skin?

    Also, your swatches of Prestigious Bordeaux is the only one that made me consider seriously a purchase. DO I NEED?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I gave Fudge to a friend D: Please don't hit me; try hitting up Lizzie @glossedintranslation instead for a comparison :)

      YOU NEEDS. ERRYBODY NEEDS. Seriously though, I don't think I've seen similarly jewelled and sparkly shades on you, and would love to.

      Delete
    2. I consulted Lizzie and she said your skin makes a lot of things look better :P I'm gonna try to wait it out and see if they have a Black Friday sale, but knowing me i'll probably cave in two days.

      Dammit Kate!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the lovely swatches Kate, I have been wanting to get Turandot and the Liu palette, your swatches confirms decision to buy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to the holiday collections. The swatches are fabulous and helpful! So far I picked up Guerlain Liu palette and Mac Fabulousness and Glamour Daze palette and blush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm just waiting on Chanel and then it's onwards to spring (previews filtering in already, good lord)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for showing us these. I missed out on the Suqqu fall, seems they put not all the items up online at Selfridges and then they were gone in a matter of days, so I need to be ready this time!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no! Have you tried ringing up the counter? I think they should be getting a redelivery of some autumn stuff along with the Christmas kits.

      Delete
    2. I dare not phone the counter, last time I did a mail order I had to spell everything phonetically and it traumatised me so very much ;)
      I'll start checking online daily from the 2nd Nov incase they do re-stock the fall items online, thanks for the heads up x

      Delete
  5. Damn it--I NEED some Suqqu in my life!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :'( Come visit! We can have tea then swatches!

      Delete
  6. btw hun, I just depotted dora. no heat no alcohol - just a metal nail file very carefully to jiggle the pans out. it's just glue and there should be space. no casualties :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Uh, come do mine?! It's my baby, I'm so scared of gouging D:

      Delete
  7. I'd love to make one of those Suqqu palettes my first Suqqu ever. Do you know if they will be available online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea, my dear, but they will be shippable if you ring up :)
      http://www.suqqu.com/global/shop/index.html

      Delete
  8. Hmm... that Karl purple is making me feel woozy. (is it the purple or the vampire Dora's red eyes?) Those Suqqu's are not doing it for me except for the one gold shade in EX-10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you dare insult vampire Dora?! Feel her wrath! (Are your ballz quaking yet?)

      Delete
  9. ooooh - EX-10 Hikarikonayuki palette looks like the Bare Minerals eyeshadow palette Holiday set I saw at Sephora. Swatches similarly. Reconsidering getting because of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huh. I was effectively resisting (loving bordeaux, but telling myself I've got similar shades) but now I think I might want that liner. Also, for unknown reasons, I apparently need Vampire Dora Eyelash curlers. WTH is with me? Maybe I just want in on the gothic Dora action.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ack, you sucked me in. I could have held out, but it's 10% off weekend at Harrods and now I want to be Vampire Dora, dammit.

    ReplyDelete