Pages

Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Je Joue

Post title is le fromage. Sorry.

Jouer offers a new spin on the Laura Mercier / Trish McEvoy / Bobbi Brown / Burberry nexus of flattering, understated, polished makeup, but with this USP: superior textures. And another: lego packaging.

During the recent cultbeauty 25% off sale I acquired a Dahlia tint to slot onto the lonely Amaretto powder eyeshadow an American MUAer sent me last year.
nifty or nifty?

Amaretto is a pigmented-yet-delicate, silky smooth powder: it can be washed sheerly onto the lid with a fluffy brush as a subtle shimmer or built up on a densely packed paddle or liner brush for a more creamily metallic effect. The colour is a balanced taupey bronze with a cool plummy undercurrent -- a cooler, less-yellow version of Burberry Midnight Brown. Texturally it's closest to old-school (i.e. good) Stila -- digging in results in a little powder kick-up but no chalkiness once applied -- and its kind of delicate shimmer is as flattering as a Kanebo brand's on hooded or mature lids.

Dahlia is a clear berry in a gel-cream formula. I expected more of a stain from the name 'tint', but this formula turned out to be non-setting, dewy and semi-translucent one, more like a potted tinted balm (Fresh) or jelly lipstick (Guerlain Rouge Auto etc.) than either a liquid stain (Beauté) or conventional cream blush (Illamasqua, Becca, Bobbi Brown etc.) Like a tinted lipbalm, this needs touching up after drinks and meals on me, and wiped off easily with one swipe of a tissue. On my dry cheeks, it felt comfortable all day and while remaining dewy, didn't slide around or fade.


Swatches
natural light
Dahlia sheered out (with fingers) and built up (Hakuhodo Misako lipbrush) // One swipe of Amaretto with Suqqu M brush.


As my skin is pretty good right now, I went base-free (except for a dab of Burberry concealer 01 under eyes) to play up the modern English rosiness of these colours and textures:
I swear there's no extra shading -- Amaretto is one of those catches-the-light differently shades which look more complex once worn on the contours of the eye.

Other products:
Browlash EX Natural Brown pencil through brows
RBR Automatic Eye Pencil Salome to line
GOSH White Kohl on waterline
last gasp of Fasio Ultra Curl Lock Volume mascara


So simple I'm embarrassed to show you close-ups
RBR Salome and Jouer Amaretto
Jouer Dahlia on lips -- no balm under or over, all the dewiness is its own 

It's not often my makeup takes under five minutes these days so I had time for some bonus shots, of my outfit -- the long sludgy cable jumper I made in April but recently re-buttoned, paired with a Markus Lupfer gold sequinned miniskirt (AW 2011).

Out of shot: lacy burgundy tights and my latest shoe love, these clumpy Clarks (apologies to MUAers who've seen these a bazillionty times already):

Matchy-matchy mani with Zoya Paloma, a clear berry jelly. And a closer look at the buttons :D They're wood and look like tiny tree trunk cross-sections... slightly cross-eyed ones. The buttons and me. I take this coordination thing very seriously.
washed-out bathroom lighting, sorry

Have you tried anything from Jouer? Thoughts and recommendations much appreciated :) I feel like this is a niche brand that was building buzz a few years ago but then faded away into the background.

38 comments:

  1. I also have a tint in amaryllis, in the pot it looks red-orange. On my lips (very pigmented) it doesn't so much color but I love it in the cheeks, really nice texture (I have combination skin) and coralish tone. I apply it with my fingers, I have to try with a brush to see if that works. I also have a bronzer and the tinted moisturizer but I haven't tried them yet. Love the jumper!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your makeup and the nailpolish! :)

    http://thecracksinourfoundation.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, it suits you so well, xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had forgotten you were knitting!! *jealous*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, you look so amazing!

    I love how much detail you go into in your posts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it sad/weird that in the first photo of you my first thought was not "ooh that lip is gorgeous," which it is, but rather "OMG THAT IS A DEMI!" What an awesome sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your eye is impressive! :D And your priorities are straight and true :D

      Delete
  7. That's your bare skin? It's flawless! The texture of that tint looks lovely. I only have the Jouer TM at the moment which is quite nice (if a little sparkly) -- I mostly got it for the travel-friendly mini sizes. I am tempted by the other products, but I am resisting starting to buy them because I know I'd end up going overboard and trying to build some sort of lego castle with all the cases. I love the jumper, particularly the length. I am getting back into knitting now the weather is cooler (and Japan is so knitter-friendly) but I'm sticking to accessories -- I'm nowhere near advanced/competent enough for actual clothes :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But your skin is so much flawless-er :P
      Japan is craft heaven! Have I mentioned today how envious I am? Please visit the Avril shop for me.

      Delete
  8. Your makeup looks great. I really like subtle eyeliner with the taupe shadow. Jouer's Luminizing Moisture Tint (SPF20) is one of my favorites. It's my go-to when I'm in a hurry because I get a moisturizer, sun block, and coverage all in one shot. And it really does add subtle ilumination, just enough so that one's complexion doesn't look flat, but not dewy either.

    Your photos are well done. You'll have to share how you do your face shots.

    Love the jumper too! Are you on Ravelry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tint seems to be their star product :)

      I honestly just take a bazillionty shots in the only reasonably well-lit-but-not-washed-out-bright place in the entire joint. Then pick the 'best'.

      Ravelry: daintypirate :) Come find me!

      Delete
  9. Where to begin? I must start by complimenting you on your extraordinary knitting skills. The jumper (and entire outfit) is most excellent! I love the intricacy of the pattern along with the new buttons and find the pairing of the gold sequin mini with the neutral toned topper inspired and quite stylish. I'm sure the addition of the burgundy tights and boots makes for a stunning ensemble. Next, love love love the makeup! Such a beautiful look on you. Jouer is a brand I definitely need to look into. Lastly, the pic showing match-y lips and nails is the stuff dreams are made of. [mac222@MUA]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much; always so kind and thoughtful <3

      Delete
  10. so pretty, I love a lip and cheek tint, and these look gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  11. Knits, Presents. is MUCHO Intelligent!!!
    Is there anything you can't do?
    AND, ...Where the heck do you find the spare time to do all this glorious knitting & recommended reading??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knit while I do other stuff XD This usually works well apart from the occasional "YARN ON FIRE" incident while flambéeing :P

      Delete
  12. Such a deceptively simple look! You're lovely, and I need to check out Jouer.

    P.S. Impressive sweater. I knit a bit myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. gotta laugh about your first line "the title is like the cheese", but indeed, "je joue" or "I play" and I think your playtime looks excellent. Quite enticed by your description and swatch of Amaretto

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um, you MADE that sweater??? It's amazing. I love button details like that. Is there anything you CAN'T do??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buttons = awesome choice! I love the texture mix-and-match in your outfit. I haven't tried Jouer, but Ameretto is the sort of shade that tends to pull me in ... love the lips on you, but I think the tint would go all pink on me.

    You skin is looking great - any skincare-routine update posts coming soon?
    My skin's improved so much, I feel like myself again (occasional spot, but I can cope) ... but I've got some accumulated damage to try and un-do without upsetting this fine balance. Besides, I think I'm a skincare voyeur.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so adorable. I keep hearing your lovely voice now when I read your blog posts. *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really really lovely! Congratulations -- a total win. Hope you went out and had fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The whole deal is beautiful! And I am very, very impressed with that sweater. The rest of us are just slackers by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh of all the lies! My blogging technique just consists of "spew/dump".

      Delete
  19. The makeup is gorgeous. I'm rather drawn to that lip tint, but I'm lazy and prefer lipstick bullets :D
    Love your outfit! I should try to wear my black sequined skirt more often :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ashamed to admit how often I wear this skirt >.<

      Delete
  20. What the What?! I'm totally blown away by the way those thingies link together - super innovative!
    I'm super interested in Jouer products - I'll have to check them out after my purge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clicky thing seems so very you :P I expect Turner-prizeworthy ART once you get into this brand.

      Delete
  21. You're making more lemmings to me!!! That tint looks wonderful on you, and I love your outfit :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. No base?!? Gaaahh--your skin is SO perfect!!! And I love Jouer! I feel the same way--I feel like I was hearing a lot about them for a while then all of the sudden it just died down. I love their products though. I've been playing with their highlighter, tinted moisturizers, blushes and bronzers lately and they're amazing! LOVE the simplicity of the collection overall--everything is paired down but PRETTY. The cheek powders blend out amazingly well and the tinted moisturizers are fantastic--both the Luminizing one and the newer Matte one. I highly recommend checking out more from the brand--I think you'll love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Thanks for this :D I love a recommendation that basically consists of "it all rocks" :D

      Delete
  23. I love this tint! And that jumper really.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I did a double check when I realised that you actually did say MADE the cable knit jumper. I always enjoy your irreverent charm and admire your make-up tips BUT what an astonishing "other" skill you have and I thought a blended eye was hard enough! Lisa - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous look, all of if. I love that sweater, and the wood buttons are perfect with it. It might be interesting to swap them out with antique, filigree pewter buttons. Of course, I posit that in theory, but I am too lazy to sew and resew buttons. The sweater pattern looks like a Rowan. Alas, I never learned how to knit (I picked up the most completely useless hobby of counted cross stitch, the finished product I won't even hang on my walls), but my mother has made me a bazillion Rowan sweaters with wool that she imported from the UK, all of which I cherish and still wear, even some that she made me in high school. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so spot-on! I was looking for filligree buttons first (same idea as the sequins, for optimal contrast) but couldn't find any that weren't too silvery-cool or bronze-warm.

      Delete