Pages

Tuesday, 30 October 2012

New and Notorious

This is a very similar look to yesterday's, but with glossy textures instead of mattes -- I've been in a bit of a neutral-eye-rosy/berry-lip rut of late, and am going to post this right on the heels of the last both to illustrate said rut [er...again], and also because people have asked to see the specific products I used in action.

Because two are new and shiny:
Lunasol Sheer Glossy Eyes EX-01 Nuance Grey (limited edition)

and YSL Glossy Stain #25 Fuchsia Neo-Classic, one of the six new shades (swatched by Rouge Deluxe)


....and t'other is Notorious. Aka Chanel's Joue Zombie. Recently Miss Lizzie of Glossed in Translation has complained that pigments look unrealistically pretty on my skin...well I call LIES because this powder looks so much better on her. As on Xiao of Messy Wands.
There may be a future blogpost in this if/when I acquire actual Knowledges, but it does seem to be true that my skin is some kind of cosmetic Switzerland, dry, clear and neutral, on which the vast majority of colours and textures read true.
if you can't see the shimmer, click to enlarge
See that microshimmer in the pan? It's very fine, but my, it's plentiful. Every rave blog review has sworn it doesn't translate onto their skin; well, it shows up clearly on mine. Even if you don't share my personal bias against visible shimmer in face products, I think it's pretty widely accepted as a bad plan to have face contour that sparkles like a tinsel-miniskirted starlet desperate for attention...

The other major selling point of this Joue Contraste [uh, assuming we are bein Rational Consumers and putting aside stuff like "new thing" or "limited edition zomg" or "TAUPE"] is the colour: a warm grey. About which I have no bad things to say. A too-cool grey would really read as zombielicious on most, a too-warm taupe would easily tip into orange territory for those of us who already find shadowing shades tricky to shop for; this is an excellent balance, and in Chanel's dryish, sheerish, blendable powder, relatively beginner-friendly.

Here it is against some of my other contouring options:
Burberry Earthy (original review)
Catrice Starlight Espresso and Grey's Philosophy (original swatches), which I mix together
Illamasqua Primal (discontinued holy grail D:)
natural light, shade
Okay, obviously Earthy no longer works on me now that my tan has faded and I'm back in cold London winter light :P Texture-wise, Notorious is the only product to make my arm look were-hairy and patchy and freakishly goose-pimply. And that, my friends, is what a dry texture and visible shimmer does to my dry skin.

To make the Chanel shimmer, visible to my naked eye, register on camera, I used flash:
dark room, direct flash

and cunning angling:
natural light, indirect sun
...so I hope you can see what I mean. Because I nearly fell down the stairs getting that last shot.

Sure, it's not Nars-Multiple obvious. I don't think most people would register it as shimmer, they'd probably just think I was rocking some killer porous sideburns with that red lipstick.... But it bugs me. A lot. And I can get a similar shade by mixing 6Euros' worth of eyeshadows with a finer texture, when my beloved Illamasqua finally runs out :'( Which is possibly kind of never, because despite meaning to get all skilled and stuff, I hardly ever bother to contour, so don't improve, so rarely bother....

In case the subtext isn't coming across clearly: despite all this, I STILL WANT THE DAMN ZOMBIE BLUSH. It looks awesome as eyeshadow. Also, TAUPE.

Chanel Notorious under cheekbones and on eyes (outer v and socket), unblended

Blended....ish. I rarely contour, okay.

EYES Lunasol Sheer Glossy Eyes EX01 Nuance Grey over lid and onto lower lashline -- please note this is layered underneath Notorious on my outer v, pulling it greyer. Notorious is on its own in my socket, and looks more taupe, as it does under my cheekbone. L'Oreal Telescopic False Lash WP mascara. GOSH White eye kohl.
LIPS YSL Glossy Stain 25 Fuchsia Neo-Classic (2 coats)
CHEEKS Kjaer Weiss Cream Blush Lovely
BASICS Laura Mercier Silk Cream Soft Ivory mixed with Yuki CC Cream Purple, Burberry Concealer 01. Browlash EX Natural Brown brow pencil.

Boring look is boring :P This is about the products, remember?

More boring things:
Nuance Grey was a present from a lovely friend.
Notorious was a temporary loan from another delicious friend.
Fuchsia Neo-Classic was an actual purchase, thanks to the SA who put these out early by mistake :P

62 comments:

  1. You have convinced me that I prefer my current contouring options (MAC Sculpt, a greyish/taupeish Inglot eyeshadow, and a purple-gray-taupe NYX matte eyeshadow) to Notorious/ LEMMING DEAD! Yay!

    But the Illamasqua looks perfect, and now I really want it. Whyyyyyy Illamasqua, why discontinue this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think Chanel have kind of missed the boat with this one. Where was it five years ago, when I might have overlooked the texture for a shade that perfect? Now there are so many good matte greytones from cheaper lines.

      D: SIGN MY PETITION WITH YOUR TEARS?

      Delete
    2. I WILL SIGN IT IN BLOOD! And set an ebay alert, too.

      Delete
    3. now that is speaking Illamasqua's language!

      Delete
  2. I don't see the problem with zombie-liciousness. But even if that's not the look you're going for, I do love my Notorious. Perhaps because my cheekbones need more emphasis than yours to show up... but I actually think it looks really lovely on you in these photos. And yes, it's an awesome eye shadow to boot.

    Also, I so want that lippie now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are far more skilled :)
      This is one of those "why did I ever start a beauty blog?" moments because I really don't care how a product photographs, only how it looks in real life (and really, only to my eyes) lol.... *deletes from internets*

      Delete
  3. Hee hee. You hardly look like the un-dead. You look positively delicious! :D But it is amazing how your skin shows up the shimmer. THAT is a freaky skill!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even swatch this the first time I saw it, because good lord how it sparkled in the pan even under store lights ;D I'm not the only MUAer who sees shimmer! We are a freaky little subculture of shimmerphobes.

      Delete
  4. Let's face it. You need the world's largest eyeshadow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There IS a distinct dip forming in my Sweet Dust Seriema....

      Delete
    2. Real women hoard taupe!

      Delete
  5. You look beautiful, and I can't express enough how fun this post was to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it's a rut, it's one that suits you very well :).

    The Glossy Stains are so magical that I just want to buy ALL of them! On the other hand, I am strangely resistent to Chanel's charms. I rarely feel inclined to purchase anything from them, which balances out the rest of my cosmetic excess nicely I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit the hibernation-friendly weather may have a bit to do with these five-minute rut looks ;)

      Branding is a funny game. I feel the same way about Givenchy despite liking the *idea* of it... and Liv.

      Delete
  7. This look is stunning. You are single-handedly selling me on that Burberry concealer. (I think my combination skin is too oily for the LM foundation, but I wish it weren't, because it looks great on you.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been half a year and I still love that concealer every day when I use it :D
      If you haven't, try and sample the LM foundation -- I have to do a lot of mixing and extra moisturising to make it work best on my dry skin so it may be combo-friendly :)

      Delete
  8. *SQUEALS* I need one of everything in this post and on your face. Especially Notorious. I am going to my local counter TOMORROW to see if they have it for purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I know you don't really like it but I need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 heh, admit your eyes shot straight to 'TAUPE' and stopped there :D

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, you look amazing in this look! I can not wait to have a close look at Chanel Notorious once it arrives at counters here in

    All the shades you used on your eyes, cheeks and lips look so beautiful against your fair skin. Btw, do you use a new camera? The pics look so crispand bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess! Long time no 'see' :)
      Same camera I got in April, just good lighting today I guess :)

      Delete
  11. I am loving my Chanel Notorious sculpting veil- it looks gorgeous on your eyes and your lip colour is a must have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, Notorious looks beautiful on you! *curses my skin even more*

      Delete
  12. What boring!! You look positively lovely. I love the Lunasol shadow - very subtle but pretty! Where did you get it from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! :) Mine was a present from a Taiwanese friend, but adambeauty.com has it right now.

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous! Though I agree with preferring matte contour products. That Lunasol eyeshadow is soooo pretty. Whereabouts does Lunasol stand in price range?

    Lou x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Online I see it at USD $33 shipped.

      Delete
    2. It's a high end Kanebo brand, I'm afraid. But Kanebo likes to trickle stuff throughout their brands, so I suspect a drugstore version will pop up soon.

      Delete
  14. I absolutely love this look, when I look at the swatches on your arm and then on your face it doesn't even look like the same product.
    You totally rock this Notorious, the shimmer and the strong lips don't make it look tacky or overly done, you look beautiful and mysterious :)
    Primal is also a fantastic contour product for me, I had to wait 1 year to finally get it but I am not disappointed.

    Do you know if there is a difference between the JC Notorious EU baked version and the one released in the US ? I don't even know if they have released the two typical different versions of this JC but I am curious to know if the shimmer is less obvious in the non-baked one...

    As always, I really enjoyed reading you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my dear :) As it's such a limited release, there's only one version globally this time--made in France, baked but a little softer than the usual baked formula IMO.

      Delete
    2. Thank you gorgeous Kate, I might need to try it... :)

      Delete
  15. I will say this may the only disadvantage, because I want your shimmer-showing skin.

    Also, THAT ILLAMASQUA PAN. WHAT. WHERE WAS I BEFORE IT WAS DISCONTINUED?

    I also see Kjaer Weis! I've been wondering about that brand for a long time. In-depth review one day? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WILL FIND MOAR EXAMPLES. Gosh you angular yet nubile young'uns, so pretty yet SO WHINY.

      Tis my only KW :) But yes, review shortly

      Delete
  16. I have already order this in the US, they don't sell it in Spain :( So I will have to wait till Xmas to get it, because it's when my friend comes home. I will considerate it a Xmas gift, it's also cheaper in USA, no shipping cost no tax to California (around 33€)

    Let's see how this works on my skin.

    I also have some samples form Kjaer Weis coming in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually a great idea to try it after the hype has died down a bit :)

      Please let me know how you like KW! I am still v curious about their lip tints

      Delete
  17. You are the first person I've seen wearing Notorious on whom it does not look like an ugly dirt stripe (including on me) so your blending skills are better than you think. I still bought it of course but I am confused as to why - it looks really bad on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind! I have no issues with blending (it's the same technique I use on any other blush, foundation or e/s on a daily basis after all) but I'm never sure whether my placement is right or not... It might look natural but does it actually make me look BETTER? Is the q.

      Have you tried it as eyeshadow yet? :)

      Delete
  18. Quit insulting your skills, zombie-blush translates very un-zombie-esque in blended photos. However ... thanks for the advice not to get hooked. The temptation is there, but it's just not the right choice.

    On the other hand ... RBR Sweet Dust Seriema ... I'm ready to declare HG. I mean, it's clearly one of the world's most awesome eyeshadows, but it's also pretty much everything I would have been after in Notorious as a contour shade. Even used it as heavily as I dared as part of a "black widow" getup last weekend - still holding up to checking in all sorts of light. Final hurdle: getting fellow perfectionist to inspect in person; may need to wait till Dec.

    (Wouldn't mind seeing that as a blended swatch next to Notorious! Convert the Zombie Lovers to Cariamae-worship. Shushh, yes, I've been googling Seriemas.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ILY. <---- this usually stays unspoken + prefaces any message to you, but I thought I'd remind you.

      Swatches to come :) And we start indie makeup line called Carimae&Corvidae, yes?

      Delete
    2. <3<3

      And YES. Carimae&Corvidae would be brilliant. We could do wonderful things like design the perfect raven-black and name it "Nevermore".

      Delete
  19. Ah. I saw Notorious on another blog (most likely Glossed in Translation) and my first thought was - I wonder when I'll see this on the Driveller? :D
    It's a skip for me, although I'm alluva sudden cursing myself for not grabbing primal when I saw it in a blogsale. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That redhead is a pernicious temptress I tells ya!

      And WHY WHY WHY D: The new Illa contour (Disobey) is le muddy jaffa cake.

      Delete
  20. I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw how shimmery it was! It's such a shame that it's so dry, though it doesn't look dry on your beautiful face. <3

    Am so sad for you that Primal has been discontinued; it is actually the perfect contour colour on you! *cries on your behalf*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your Switzerland comment made me giggle. You look exquisite. That YSL has been added to my wishlist and also, the whole deadly circle of being bad at contouring --> rarely bothering --> not improving --> rarely bothering plagues me, too. I need a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heh :D

      We need some kind of group study sesh! With booze and cake.

      Delete
  22. *flails wildly* such hotness! It is too much for me! *passes out*

    ... seriously. I LOVE this look! And I want that Glossy Stain! My YSL go-to girl says she hasn't heard a thing about us getting these new shades here, and she's normally very knowledgeable D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHUT. But you need this stain! NEED EET. Ahem... I mean. The originals did come out earlier in the EU as well now that I think about it. YSL is odd!

      Apparently we are getting even more shades in the Spring collection -- hopefully some bright corals and lighter pinks :D

      Delete
  23. You looks so beautiful! PS. I found great cinnamon, will likely share with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yeah, I feel torn on Notorious, as well. It's such a great, believable contour on me, but it takes much more blending and care than a nicer powder like Burberry Earthy. Illa Primal looks perfect- please to bring back??
    And I love the YSL lips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think contour falls into the 'base' category for me along with foundations, concealers and highlighters -- it needs to be effortless in process as well as effect, if that makes sense.
      The other new YSLs were a bit off on me D: Sad, but this one is pretty enough to make up for it :)

      Delete
  25. You look amazing! Even if you don't love Notorious, I think it looks FAB on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it photographs nicely, but I don't get papped on a daily basis so.... lol

      Delete
  26. I don't find this looking boring at all. The eyeshadow is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 ty for the lovely comment! I am very fond of the eyeshadow too; must try to capture some of the beauty with my camera

      Delete
  27. love your witty, tad snarky, but always honest reviews. love the fotds and the colors do look awesome. My skin is not switzerland, but appreciate all colors nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I haven't even looked at the purty pictures yet, but I've read this post twice and been highly amused by both the post and the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have Primal. I love Primal. WHY Illamasqua?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this look on you. I want zombie blush and the beautiful glossy stain you are wearing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cannot even begin to say how much I love that Glossy Stain on you! I've just ordered #23, as only some of the new ones have become available to me in the States, but I think I will have to take a look at #25 once it is released here!

    Julie x
    JulesDarling

    ReplyDelete