Pages

Wednesday, 7 November 2012

New YSL Glossy Stain paper swatches and comparisons

Since I first tried these last December, the YSL Rouge Pur Couture Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stains have become one of my favourite lip formulas, genuinely innovative lacquers which I never have to touch up, and whose 90%-proof-rose-petal-booze scent I find surprisingly addictive....

Six new (permanent) shades have just been released, and they represent subtle nuance/undertone variations [as the whole 'fuchsia + random art movement' thing suggests] rather than genuinely expanding the twenty-strong shade range into brave new worlds. This isn't really bad news, as I'm sure you all know by now it can prove surprisingly tricky to find exactly the right tone of rose, plum or cerise in such a pigmented formula, which can sometimes change colours as it sets on the lips; these new variations round things out nicely.

* starred shades contain shimmer

YSL Glossy Stain swatches 21 Orange Fusion, 22 Prune Minimale. 23 Fuchsia Cubiste, 24 Fuchsia Intemporel, 25 Fuchsia Neo-Classic, 26 Violine Surrealiste
21 Orange Fusion
22 Prune Minimale*
23 Fuchsia Cubiste*
24 Fuchsia Intemporel
25 Fuchsia Neo-Classic (see my look here)
26 Violine Surrealiste


21 Orange Fusion, 22 Prune Minimale. 23 Fuchsia Cubiste, 24 Fuchsia Intemporel, 25 Fuchsia Neo-Classic, 26 Violine Surrealiste comparison

(Following notes I made from swatching on skin -- apologies if some of these nuances don't come across in the paper swatches.)
21 is lighter and less red than 8; less pink than 6 -- the most orange orange in the line so far.
22 is browner than 1 but less brown/more plum than 3. Has shimmer.
23 is more red and less brown than 4; deeper and more berried than 5. Has shimmer.
24 is rosier than 25, which is a clearer reddened pink. 24 is also more purple than 11 and more pink than 10.
25 is deeper and less pink than 13; lighter and cooler than 14; more reddened than 15. It's a reddened pink to 11's pinky red.
26 is slightly deeper and redder than 16.


I think those with a substantial existing wardrobe of glossy stains would probably be able to mix their current shades to get most if not all of these new ones. Based on my dabblings,
1 + 4 = 22
4 + 5 = 23
10 + 13 = 24
11 + 15 = 25
10 + 16 = 26

E.g. Here are 11 and 15 on my hand -- can you see them adding up to 25?
YSL Glossy Stain 15 25 11 mixing swatches

Whereas 24, with its more muted, rosier depths, is a shade I can't achieve from my GS palette [1, 7, 9, 11, 15], and that's the one I'll be keeping.
YSL Glossy Stain 15 25 11 mixing swatches


Do you have any glossy sums of your own? :) Any of the new shades tempting you?

YSL Glossy Stains retail for £22.50 each in the UK.

21 comments:

  1. As first I thought you were joking about "fuchsia + random art movement" - but then I read the names! I only have one glossy stain - 12, which I love - but I'm thinking about getting a red, though I haven't decided which one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cracks me up that one of the original shades (something tempera) got misspelt as 'tempUra' along the way and proliferated across the internet :P

      Delete
  2. I love this formula. I do wish there were more of a variation of shades though. I had my friend shopping with me the other day and I recommended these but with her being rather tame in her colour choices she couldn't find a shade that she liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and there looks to be three more similar shades for next spring, lol

      Delete
  3. I think i want one from the 10-11-24 column, and 23!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww I so want to try them but the smell... yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't attracted to these at first, but your posts on them have started to awaken a lemming. Darn, darn, darn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely! I think 24 and 25 are my favourites, I'm going through a bit of a reddy-pink phase at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh 24 is really pretty! I kind of freaked out after seeing the price, but these look so amazing - I think they're worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are basically the only lip product I own that I *never* have to touch up, so if we're doing the sums really thoroughly that makes them a pretty good deal :D

      Delete
  8. Glossy stain has a gorgeous formula. However I don't like the scent it has. The 6 new shades look very similar to the regular permanent collection. However the glitter ones looks pretty interesting. I would love to swatch it on myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate,

    Thanks a lot for the math :)

    I just want to ask about the similarity between YSL Glossy Stain 25 and Guerlain M25 Colere (which I bought because of your wonderful photos, by the way). Obviously their textures are quite different but they look a bit similar colour-wise. Say it ain't so! It looks soooo good on you and I just want to beam myself up to the Sephora but your approval will make it less painful to cough up £ 22.50 :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aylin :) These do change on the lips and with layering but on me at least 25 is much pinker and cooler than Colere; it doesn't have any coral in it that I can detect.

      Delete
  10. These look beautiful! I fear they look prettier on your swatches than they would be on my lips. :P I wonder how the Maybelline dupes compare...

    The fact that these change colour on the lips just doubles the amount of time it takes for me to try these on. I couldn't try many on consecutively because each one would, true to their word, leave a stain on my lips. By the 4th swatch I had had enough and left YSL with several layers of glossy stains on my lips, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybelline? I only knew of the L'Oreal dupes (which according to RougeDeluxe and AucupariaBrumalis are inferior :/)

      Delete
  11. The new shades aren't particularly tempting me, but I still want to pick a second shade* from the original line-up. I'm still in love with 4 - Mauve Pigmente.
    But what to choose?? I've been considering:
    9 - Rouge Lacque
    6 - Camel Croisiere
    8 - Orange de Chine

    I think I'm looking for something that will read red to warmish red on my lips, and not pull pink at all (hence I've been considering the oranges since Karla's lipswatches). I'm open to suggestions ;)

    * restraint - apparently I DO has it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely try 9 :) I hear it's a neutral-slightly warm red on many, not quite the neon orangey red it is on me.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to find a YSL counter next week!

      Delete
  12. oh my, my wish to have perfect lips is only bigger after seeing these swatches and their art-related names. I totally miss the world of art & museums, and these colours are the perfect cheat. Such a good excuse to swatch and send away the ladies at the stores who ask you "if they can help" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the names too :) Much nicer than "Prune Virgin" from the RPC Mattes, lol

      Delete
  13. I was wondering which one is more pink #24 or #25?

    ReplyDelete