Pages

Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Face Stockholm Crème Blush: New York and Rhinebeck

Face Stockholm is a brand I remember fondly from my teens, when they had a few shops strewn around London; I used to pop into the Covent Garden branch for a bit of colour therapy on my way back from dance classes every week, and can recall saving up for a sparkly red nail polish and eyeliner to match.

Then came the dark ages aka the Viking un-invasion, when Face turned its back to the UK. So I was very excited to become reacquainted with the line when they recently reentered the market with a shop in Manchester and a counter in the London Bond St. Fenwick, and at cultbeauty online.

This time round, my maturing skin er, tastes led me immediately to their Crème Blush range, and today I'll be focusing on New York and Rhinebeck, both shades my constant blushy companions over the last few months. As four other shades are currently winging their way to me thanks to an American buddy, you can safely assume that I love them. LOVE LOVE LOVE. For swatches of almost every shade, head over to Swatcharama!
(Also love? The fact that I can answer when someone asks me what blush I'm wearing without doing the *coughDeepThroatmumble* or *blankstare RD-38!56X2.35jruik#askty798€ trail off...*)

Packaging: Scandi-sleek mirrored silver compacts which close securely with a satisfying click, lightweight but not flimsy.
Face Stockholm Creme Blush packaging

Ingredients
Face Stockholm Creme Blush ingredients
Despite the, er, compactness of the compact, you get a reasonable 4g of blushy goodness i.e. the same pan amount as Illamasqua's unwieldily-packaged creams, more than the Canmake Clear creams (I suspect ~1.5g as I can use up these up in a few months) or Becca's discontinued cream blushes at 3g each, less than MAC or Nars' 5.5g creams -- i.e. enough that you won't be repurchasing constantly but but not so excessive a quantity that you have to worry about the product going bad before you can finish it, or restrain yourself from buying a whole wardrobe of shades *cough*
Note also that these are made in the USA, which may explain the more reasonable prices in the US vs the UK (just switch out the $ sign for a £ :P)

My initial shades are Rhinebeck (L), an offbeat soft red, and New York (R), a clear, cool pink:
Face Stockholm Creme Blush Rhinebeck and New York

Ingredients are the same for both but Rhinebeck is a more traditional dewy cream (think Illamasqua and Becca creams), while New York is a much softer jelly (à la Canmake Clear blushes); textural differences visible even in the pan:
Face Stockholm Creme Blush Rhinebeck and New York textures

This cream/jelly difference also translates to the skin, swatched heavily/blended out:
Face Stockholm Creme Blush Rhinebeck and New York swatches
These are very pigmented, but also extremely blendable, so you can achieve a wide variety of effects -- I've tried to show the contrasting examples but you can absolutely can build up / sheer out even further if you don't have to worry about cameras picking up colour :P

Once blended out, the differences are less apparent to my camera, though on my cheeks New York retains more of a 'squishy' jelly glow while Rhinebeck sets to an almost textureless texture, like a stain on well-moisturised, happy skin. On oilier skins (pretty much 99.999% of the population) I think both will read dewier. In any case, all skintypes can layer these for more glow -- and it's very easy to do, with no risk of tugging, patchiness or balling-up, as these Face Stockholm creams are among the most blendable, most buildable -- most effortless -- textures I've ever encountered. I can't think of a blush analogue closer than those skate-across-the-skin-like-water Suqqu Creamy Glow lipsticks I so adore.

Did I mention these FS cream blushes work on lips too? Because they don't rely heavily on silicones for slip (dimethicone plays a minor backup role to other emollients and binders), they have a more controllable creaminess, which means less mess while lip-painting and absolutely no wayward migration during wear. Oh, and unlike the Illamasqua/Becca products, they're completely scent- and taste-free :D

In practice, applied to cheeks with a Sephora #56 brush and to lips with a Hakuhodo Misako portable: 
Rhinebeck

New York
ETA better-lit pic

For the eyes, I pulled two facets from my very well-loved neutral KATE Deep Trap Eyes GY-1 quint -- discontinued, and which now looks like this, btw:
My camera's so much better at seeing fallout than my eyes -- I wonder why it fails at differentiating blush shades :P
Pairing the cooler shades (2, 4, 5) with Rhinebeck, and the warmer ones (1, 2, 3) with New York. Base: Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation 00 Alabaster, Burberry Sheer Concealer 01 Brows: Shu Uemura H9 Seal Brown Lashes: Fasio Full Dynamic Volume BK001.

I thought I'd keep the looks simple/neutral for the purposes of review but you're going to be seeing a lot more of these blushes, paired with all kinds of things, such is their wearability and plain old prettiness. Of course that means not exactly without dupes in my stash, but the selling point of these Face Stockholm blushes is their divine texture/gorgeous finish, so here are some comparisons with the products they'll be ousting from my collection.

Rhinebeck is sister to Becca Watermelon beach tint. 

Very similar colours worn as blush, though I think you can tell the matte Becca isn't as texturally prettifying on my dry skin as the FS cream, and tonally Rhinebeck is sliiightly cooler.

But it's on lips that the dewy superiority of the FS formula becomes much clearer -- Watermelon's matte finish makes it look almost chalky next to Rhinebeck, and even without a mirror it was impossible to forget which side was which -- Rhinebeck felt like a cushiony nothing on my lips, but I could sense Watermelon (which I would previously have also called 'lightweight' without something obvious to compare it to) pulling and puckering my skin.

The beach tints are a much-loved summer/warm weather staple for me, so to find a substitute for my favourite shade (I've used up two previous tubes of Watermelon) in a formula I can wear comfortably year-round? Face Stockholm, ILY *_*


New York is not just a sister but a flat-out twin to Addiction Damask Rose cheek stick, once blended out on the cheeks:
appalling lighting -- will substitute a better pic as soon as I get some sun
Damask Rose is sheerer and has more of a (shimmer-free) sheen than my other Addiction cheek sticks in Amazing and Revenge but its base makes its tone pull lighter -- almost pastel-dusty -- in comparison to New York's jellied hot pink, worn on the lip:

There's less of an obvious visual textural winner here, though I personally prefer the juiciness of the FS side, but in terms of ease and pleasure of application, New York wins, hands down.

Yep, you heard me. I love these Face Stockholm Crème blushes even more than I love not only Becca Beach Tints but Addition Cheek Sticks too. (And since I own five of the former and three of the latter, trust that I love both of those ALOT.) Expect further reviews as my Face Stockholm delivery arrives, and further oustings too: these babies are going to form the core of my almost-completed cream blush wardrobe. Are you excite? I AM EXCITE.


Disclosure: New York I purchased myself; Rhinebeck was a personal gift from a friend.

61 comments:

  1. Oh wow, bold statement. I can see, from the photos, why you prefer them, though. One of the things I dislike about both the cheek sticks and the beach tints is that they don't really perform as well when used on the lips. Face Stockholm looks AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I took so many photos over weeks to try and catch the magic :D
      I do like some cheeksticks (er, just Amazing and Revenge) on lips but they're a totally different beast from these :)

      Delete
  2. Oh these all look great! I have a couple of lip and cheek products myself, but I usually just use them on the cheeks. Out of all these Rhinebeck must be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to prefer multi-use stuff on one or the other too :) While these work on both, I prefer keeping NY as blush but Rhinebeck is gorgeous on lips and cheeks!

      Delete
  3. New York is GORGEOUS. I wonder if I can find somewhere around here that sells FS to swatch in person, I bet I can.

    Also, I hope you are planning a post on your blush wardrobe, because I would love to see that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so :*
      And yes, ma'am! As soon as I'm done tinkering so early next year I think.

      Delete
  4. Ah, a brand I'm not familiar with, at all. I've heard of it before, but these creams look beautiful. Both shades are! Thanks for the comparisons on your lips too :-) Can't wait for the new ones. EXCITE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do fly under the radar a bit. I also have a lovely cream shadow to show you guys :D

      Delete
  5. Ok! I was drooling over these before but now I really really WANT. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D They were on my 'check out someday' list for ages but it took actually FEELING them at a counter to push me over the edge.

      Delete
  6. oh noes! I don't need cream blushes, but I LOVE how this texture looks on both your cheeks and lips. Looks vastly superior to Becca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! And now I look insane for loving those BT's for so long, lol. Swings and merrygorounds.

      Delete
  7. whoa! living in the states, i do not have access to suqqu lovely lip colors. and i mourn that every time you rave about one. and you rave frequently. but this, this i can acquire with ease! and use it on my lips! my cheeks are rosy and have been from birth. but my lips are always in search of a little something something. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Suqqu are evil discontinuers none of us have access now! Bear in mind these aren't as moisturising as the Suqqu on lips (nor as pigmented) in effect but the *feel* is v similar

      Delete
  8. Oh no, those blushes are TDF!!!! Too bad that my combo-oily skin makes using cream blushes a bit difficult and messy, I always end up setting with powder blush. Yet, the ones I have from Chanel, Dior and Couleur Caramel are nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, I hate those Chanel/Dior/YSL ones -- these don't set to powder so I think you may want to skip :)

      Delete
  9. The pixie crop looks so nice on you! >_<

    Also EUROITq247"r%uibo9Ofwuskdkaj I love reading your blog, but DAYUM girl you've reignited that terrible "I WANT THAT" lemming feelings when seeing lovely products on bloggers.

    >__> (eyes my new Addiction blush in Tadzio)

    www.thislipsticklife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GURL you should see the bobby-pinned mess I'm hiding behind my head! Growing-out pains.

      <3 <3 <3 I am happy to enable purchases of these because they're just. that. awesome.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful review and now I'm excited to check out New York and the other cream blushes, now that they have the Driveller's Stamp of Approval™! The place where I get my brows done sells Face Stockholm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah! I think you would like Rhinebeck! It is unpromising in the pan but beautiful on skin.

      Delete
  11. Whoa, these are pretty! You always take the brightest blushes that look almost unwearable in pan and turn them into something so gorgeous and stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brights are my comfort zone -- the other four I'm getting are also bright, lol

      Delete
  12. They look so lovely. I was going to buy a becca tint but the price put me off but this looks better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are definitely >>>>> Beach Tints!

      Delete
  13. Love these on you! The others are mostly BRIGHTS, too, so I'm excited to see what you do with them. And I'm really liking the Burberry pen so far, btw! Thinking about cleaning the applicator gets me nervous, but besides for that, the formula is really light and lovely and actually covers.

    Adele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeep! <3 I JUST got notice of a parcel... must hare off to fetch it after work :D
      And yes, isn't the Burberry some kind of miracle? If you're concerned about hygiene how about picking up product with a separate brush from the 'bead' that gets clicked out?

      Delete
    2. ...That would be ridiculously quick. Wow.

      Good idea, thank you!

      Delete
  14. Oh, I think I'm putting Rhinebeck on my wishlist.. I've never actually used cream blushes, as I often use foundation that set to a finish which is closer to matte on my skin (dehydration sucks..), or use mineral foundations (powders), because I find them less noticeable and less accentuating my dry spots - that's weird, but.. But I want to try some easy cream blush, and if you say it can also be used as a lip tint - hurray, a product for some quick makeup :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh! I also tried these on a friend *over* powder foundation and they blended just as nicely -- talc is the first ingred in these after all, and they seem to meld nicely without clumping or messing with powder makeup :) Let me know how you get on if/when you try it!

      Delete
  15. Oh MAN! You got me cravin' more cream blushers! Just when I ordered my Canmake jellies, too! Are these as pigmented as those? I really love how those tiny things last all day and night on me, where do you think I can get myself some of these goodies? Also, on term of prices, which one do you think is better? I get my canmakes shipped from JP so I pay about 1000¥ each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these are slightly MORE pigmented!
      The US has cheapest FS prices ($25) so I'd ask a US buddy or find a site that ships to you (blush.com? facestockholm.com?)

      Delete
  16. Oh YAYz! Danke, danke schoen (b/c can't speak anything Scandinavian that expresses my gratitude). I love FS since I discovered their lipsticks, not the best formulation, but I love their colors. New York is definitely on my list since I don't have anything like it. I'm hoping to find a replacement for Becca Tint Guava (not quite the same as Watermelon), but I think Rhinebeck may fit the bill... I may actually get FS London that falls in between the two? (I know not exactly muted rosy brown like Rhinebeck, but what the heck :-D).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire you need to get hooked on some Nordic noir mysteries -- you'll definitely learn 'thanks' is 'tak'/'tack' lol
      Guava and Raspberry are the two BT's I've yet to find substitutes for. Tricksy...

      Delete
    2. Nordic noir mysteries? Does this include such as "The Girl with the Dragon Tatto?"
      Yes, trying to peek at your note to see if you may find Guava/Raspberry BT subs..

      Delete
    3. BLECH! I hate GWTDT! Watch "Forbrydelsen" in the original :D Sarah Lund is pretty kick-ass in a deeply sensible way.

      Delete
  17. O-kaaayyy....as soon as I read your glowing review, I went out to my local shop selling FS and bought Rhinebeck and London (they only stock 4 of the colors D:)
    As I don't care for Addiction Cheek Sticks or Becca BT, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but....
    Wearing London today....beautiful application (it seems to apply itself), beautiful color...kind of excited here.
    Thank you for reviewing! I've really never paid attention to FS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these are easier to like, for sure :) Hope it continues to work for you without being drying <3

      Delete
  18. Hi,it´s my first comment here, but just want to ask you a question, that maybe you can help me. Recently my mascaras have started to smudge under my eyes :( and I hate it, I use the same mascara and just don´t know why this is happening...Can you tell me if you know any mascara that don´t smudge?
    I´ve tried recently Lash Power from Clinique ( the formula is like Fiber Wig), that it´s supposed to not smudge and it smudges a lot...Now I´m just using clear mascara :( and hate it.
    Hope you can help me
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I never have issues with myself but could it be due to a new eye cream or concealer? I think Kiss Me Heroine Make mascaras are supposed to be sebum-resistant -- you want formulas that are specifically smudgeproof/sebum-proof rather than just waterproof.

      Delete
    2. Kate, you were right, it´s exactly that! My eye cream is really very moisturising and before I didn´t even use concealer, I just started to use one/two years ago...But I would never think that it was the problem.Yesterday, I stayed at home and tried to use mascara without anything under my eyes, with no hope really, and no smudging,nothing!! Thanks so much Kate, really!!
      Now I´m going to use just a bit of concealer not so near the eyelashes ( I use the Dior one,it´s moisturising). But I´m curious about the mascara you mentioned, I´m gonna try to find it. I´m really happy, I can use mascara again!
      Thanks so much and congratulations for your blog and good taste.

      Delete
    3. Yay! So glad I could help :D I was really shooting in the dark there.
      Adambeauty.com sells KMHM mascaras if you're outside Asia:
      http://www.adambeauty.com/showitem.php?itemtype=category&itemid=kiss-long&brandid=95&language=&agentid=9&productid=&brandSubid=&groupid=1&catid=20

      Delete
  19. wow, someone loves her Kate Deep trap palette! And I seem to be enticed into hunting down New York because the coolness & the opacity on your skin/lips is superb, without loosing the glow-element

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find the newer KATE palettes nearly as good :/ le tantrum.
      Great summation -- I love these pigmented-translucent jellies.

      Delete
  20. I already have Becca Watermelon but just like that, suddenly I am pregnant with lemmings. :x

    Btw, love the furry neckline in your first FOTD shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, so my cheating on my Watermelon wife makes Liz preggers. It's like a tabloid headline! :D
      Good eye -- that's my pal's new cowl which I borrowed...then kept. LOL.

      Delete
  21. I love the look of these! Nice comparisons (except now I want ALL the blushes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 ALL the blushes makes for a well-rounded lady.

      Delete
  22. imma gonna try these bad boys out

    ReplyDelete
  23. They're so beautiful, Kate! I've never tried anything from Face Stockholm, but since I'm in the US, I can only anticipate some major browsing of their offerings... Oh, the jelly squishiness of New York. And I live in New York - it's fate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed! :D Please visit the flagship and report back on your pilgrimage!

      Delete
  24. OMG I am in love- I need these in my life! I can get New York OK but the one I'm really eyeing up is Rhinebeck. I wish I knew someone in the US as the pricing is much more reasonable and I can't seem to find a site with Rhinebeck that that ships to the UK. :(

    On another note I'm a long-time lurker and first-time commenter! You have the exact same skintone as me and I'm forever finding products I love by reading your blog. My purse isn't happy but I am!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Hi, Gillian, thanks for commenting!
      Isn't Rhinebeck SO much prettier on 'our' skin than in the pan? I'm glad my friend sent it to me because I would've passed it by without swatching at the counter.
      Fenwick definitely have Rhinebeck -- maybe you could ring up the Bond St shop and arrange an order that way?

      Delete
  25. I'm crazy about Face Stockholm in general but especially their cream blushes. They wear so beautifully and the colors are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours was one of the few reviews I found on these! Rio is stunning on you.

      Delete
  26. That texture...THAT TEXTURE! Face Stockholm, take my money!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the Becca cream mourners need to check these out, stat.

      Delete
  27. So, I am a youthful 56 year old with very well cared for skin, complimented on today twice by MUAs. I know I need to move into using a cream blush, but don't know what kind of brush to you, (please recommend), as well as if cream blush will work on my face. I use serum, then primer, then translucent powder, no foundation necessage...now wrinkles or sign of aging (good gene pool). Can you please advise? I have just recently subscribed to your blog.

    Beautiful colors, I want them both, but need answers to me questions. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, you don't 'need' to do anything according to age. I know people in their seventies who prefer powder to cream blushes -- and the powders look much nicer on their specific skin texture.

      As for application, it's highly personal again. Most people like using their fingers, some prefer sponges, I like small, dense synthetic brushes like the Sephora 54 I used to apply these, or the Illamasqua highlighter brush.

      Not all cream blushes are made equal, so it's pretty difficult to say whether any formula or finish will work on someone's skin, and again, nothing much to do with age :) It's best if you can try these on in person at a counter and examine the wear/performance over time and in different lighting conditions to see if they meet your standards.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your quick reply and GREAT advice....age is just a number, loved your comment. I will try the Sephora 54 brush with these colors. I have just found your website, have subscribed by e-mail, but can't figure out how to show up as "me" when I ask or respond to questions, rather that "Unknown". Any suggestions, anyone? I very computer literate, but can't figure this one out. Thank you!

      Delete
    3. No worries! :)

      Hopefully someone else will chime in because I'm not terribly computer literate, but could it be to do with your blogger account settings?

      Delete