Pages

Wednesday, 19 February 2014

YSL Gloss Volupté 204 Corail Trapeze and 206 Fuchsia Oran

While I try to keep a balanced stash, the formula that dominates my lip wardrobe is YSL's revolutionary lacquer-stain hybrid, Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stains: I own six shades, one of which (1 Violet Edition) I'd repurchased after completely finishing, and test each new released colour, ever ready to acquire more.

So news of a new lip formula from YSL always gets my attention, thanks to their always on-point colour sensibility -- though admittedly much of it is spent in willing the pigment to come with with a 'Pur Couture' prefix and accompanying rose scent, rather than the dreaded 'Volupté' and mango combo.

....Yeah. Say hi to the Gloss Volupté, new to the core line, currently available in 23 shades at all YSL counters, otherwise known as some of the best damn glosses I've ever tried. With that unfortunate kicker: the extremely strong mango scent.

YSL Gloss Volupté 204 Corail Trapeze and 206 Fuchsia Oran
YSL Gloss Volupté 204 Corail Trapeze and 206 Fuchsia Oran
My shades are 204 Corail Trapeze (a soft coral peach) and 206 Fuchsia Oran (a gloriously bright neutral pink-red), both from the shimmer-free 'Pure' 200-subrange, and flattering to my vertical liplines while feeling comfortably cushiony and un-tacky on my lips, and being sufficiently actively moisturising (rather than just non-drying) to be worn without balm in the bitter depths of a Siberian winter. They also leave my lips feeling noticeably softer the day after.

One-swipe swatches straight from the applicator:
YSL Gloss Volupté 204 Corail Trapeze and 206 Fuchsia Oran swatches
Can you see the smooth balminess? The swatches may look a little streaky because the applicator is curved to fit around the lips, rather than the flat back of my hand, but I didn't go back to even up because I wanted to show how well pigmented both shades are and also how un-messy, with absolutely no too-slick liquifying and running down my hand. Fuchsia Oran also shows a bit of translucent stained-glass jelliness, while Corail Trapeze has a creamy liquid-balm finish.

In practice, I find the somewhat controversial ('lip'-shaped, many-curved, fuzzy sponge-wi'-a-hole-in!) applicator works well on my small-but-fullish lips, even around the cupid's bow and mouth corners, which I prefer quite well defined. I use the outer (convex) side first for more precise areas and then sweep the inner (concave) curve around the centre of my lips. The lip swatches are applied in one coat in this way, over bare lips, with no redipping.


 204 Corail Trapeze
Its pink tones come through more strongly on the lips vs on my hand to give a soft-but-not-pastel coral. I had thought this was an effect of my very cool-toned mauve lips but Temptalia's Christine experiences the same shift, and she has warm-toned lips -- do weigh in if you've tried this one on.
YSL Gloss Volupté 204 Corail Trapeze swatch


206 Fuchsia Oran
YSL Gloss Volupté 206 Fuchsia Oran swatch
This one is utterly true-to-tube on me, from the shift between cooler hot-pink and warmer red-pink notes visible depending on how the light hits the contours of lips and the applicator both.

While Corail Trapeze and Fuchsia Oran are both sufficiently pigmented to wear alone, the lip-hugging, stable (i.e. not prone to clumping, running or going patchy) formula means that these also layer excellently over every lipstick formula I own without disturbing the already-applied pigment beneath, and are translucent enough to evenly meld with while tinting the lipstick, without sitting on top like random oily goop. This isn't as mean a feat as it sounds -- a post is in the works on my surprisingly difficult quest for gloss topcoats that don't mess with lipsticks (er,  that's the working title...)

Wear-time for both my shades is good for glosses and on par with that I get from sheerer lipsticks -- they'll slowly and evenly fade over the course of much talking and sipping to balmy tints, and definitely require reapplication after eating. While absolutely unsticky, the Gloss Volupté do feel noticeably balmy/cushiony on the lips over hours, although much lighter than my beloved Chanel Extrait de Gloss formula.

Unfortunately for me, the lasting power of the mango scent is also impressive; I have a fairly acute sense of smell and can still detect it at least 2 hours after application, albeit faintly. And unlike the Rouge Volupté lipsticks, it's not deodorizable D: In an otherwise excellent formula, the scent's the only thing holding me back from acquiring all the other 'Pure' shades in the line, beginning with 209 Smoking (a fabulous layering black -- I've played with this in store and love its vampifying-but-not-muddying effect on all kinds of lip colours) and 207 Rouge Velours (a deeper pinked-red to Fuchsia Oran's vibrant reddened-pink, as shown on The Non-Blonde). Dear YSL, we can haz a rosy Rouge Pur Couture line of glosses?

Raeview has swatches of the full range, while The London Beauty Review features a shade from each of the four sub-ranges.


Disclosure: samples acquired free of charge.

47 comments:

  1. You created a lemming, damm you! I am meant to be low buying, I struggle to make my glossy stain work, it always feels tacky or fades unevenly, I know I am wearing it/uncomfortable so might try one of these instead, they look amazing on you, 206 or 207 is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D: What bad luck! But I agree, between fading-evenly-but-requiring-frequent-touchups and longlasting-but-fading-unevenly I'd much rather the former!

      Delete
  2. Am I the only one who actually likes the mango scent? :D:D The fuchsia one looks especially god on you :) I would like to try the black one though, for layering over red lipsticks, as I am not much of a gloss person :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *shuns*
      ahaha, yes the black is glorious! I am on the hunt for one having been convinced of its absolute necessity in my wardrobe :O

      Delete
  3. I'm not even a gloss person, but I still want both! So sorry to hear about the mango scent. I personally like it, but I know you don't and it's true that you can't deodorize these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know, I'm not a gloss person either! And yet.... lol

      Delete
  4. Well, there goes my plan to go on a no-buy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I BOUGHT ONE OF THESE. I agree with you on all fronts, including piercing mango-smoothie-craving-inducing smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BLECH! Did I mention, I don't even like the smell/taste of REAL mangoes? D: *chugs coffee, shudders*

      Delete
  6. I was checking out 204 when I couldn't find 202 and I couldn't buy it because no SA around to make a sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Selphia, you have the worst YSL SA's! lol I still shake my fist over your loss of RPC 52 D:

      Delete
    2. I found the lipstick again and purchased along with the coral gloss, the price was a bit ouch but at least I'm not obsessed with finding it anymore. I think the gloss doesn't smell like mangoes but it does smell fruity like a type of melon.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Because PUPPEH *_* Wait, what? Staring at your adorables.

      Delete
  8. Lovely shades, I really like the one I have in terms of application/texture, though I'm not a fan of the scent either, and it does put more off buying more really.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, it's probably for the best :'( Or my collection would soon be large enough to be waging internecine war with the Glossy Stains, or something. Hmm, I suck at comforting myself.

      Delete
  9. Lovely shades!
    But I passed on because of the scent issue as well. I barely can stomach the original Volupte scent and I kinda knew it would be stronger in a gloss form, so..
    Interesting the rosy scent of YSL is not exactly a faint one, either. Yet I enjoy it immensely. ;o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes *high fives* We are a freakish minority in enjoying those rosy scents! I pity those who can't wear glossy stains / Burberry / D&G / Givenchy beauties :D

      Delete
  10. Aaah Kate, I'm totally sold on both colours now and I don't even love glosses that much! I've been very curious about this line, I love the shades, especially from the pure line. They seem really nicely pigmented, I must buy one now! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly becoming a convert :D Teri, you would look beautiful in 205 as well -- do check it out if you get the chance :D

      Delete
  11. ooo scent aside (i think id be ok with a mango scent) these looks really nice!!! oh ysl lol. thankfully i think (i hope) i've fulfilled a lot of my gloss cravings for a while. i indulged in the new maybelline and l'oreal glosses. quite like them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, Maybelline gives YSL a run for their money in terms of making awesome products/colours that my nose can't take! lol I do rate L'Oreal products, though they're so pricey where I am I'd usually rather just plonk down the few £ extra for high end stuff instead.

      Delete
  12. Ooh, 206, 207, and 208 are beautiful. But I don't know if I can deal with mango smell--I'm already skittish about lipgloss, and that may be too much.

    I really should get another glossy stain. I look at the color range and just blank out, though. Can't pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may like to try Shiseido Lacquer Rouges, if you haven't already. Very pigmented, can be blotted down to satins, and no scent! Also much easier to predict their on-lips shade from a hand swatch, unlike the Glossy Stain wheel o' misfortune.

      Delete
  13. Stoooooop making me want things! These look amazing.

    (My Visee order shipped. !!!)

    Adele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NEVAR!
      And woot! :D Psst, I got a Visee gloss too :P And lurve it.

      Delete
  14. These look divine on your lips!! I love mangoes, but don't know how I'd feel about them in my gloss. Either way, that peachy pink goodness looks delicious :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They taste like summer, Lily! Foul, burning, happy summer *hides under black cloak and retreats back into coffin*

      Delete
  15. Gosh that coral... Must resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it's so pretty! I take mine everywhere trying to find a dupe :P

      Delete
  16. I wonder if there's a K-plastic surgery procedure to remove all pigment from my lips so peachy corals look like that on meeeee! XP But I think I'll be picking up Fuchsia Oran and Fauve for now.

    Also bought my first YSL RVS, and while I can't say the scent bothers me, it certainly is very persistent--it wafts up towards my nostrils hours after application. That's a first. O.o I can't imagine how awful that would be for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Erm, well there's vaginal bleaching, so I'd assume so :P

      Which RVS is this? :) I do like mine, but among the ranks of sheer lipsticks it doesn't excel quite as much as these do in the gloss stakes.

      Delete
    2. And you'd know because? :P

      I got Corail Incandescent, and I like how pigmented they are for a sheer, balmy formula. I prefer a softer lip edge when I wear lipsticks, and the RVS formula makes that super easy to achieve. But I definitely can't wait to try these glosses for sure!

      Delete
  17. My boyfriend loves mangos (I use Burt's Bee Mango Lipbalm), but I doubt he'd like to kiss me with these on my lips. Hm, dilemma...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must pick a shade that would flatter both your skintones ;)

      Delete
  18. Those look gorgeous on you! Formula sounds very nice too. I don't actually mind the YSL scent, so I'm really considering picking one of these up, Fuchsia Oran is really catching my eye :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuchsia Oran is very special :) I went hunting for a dupe and turned up nothing across 20 counters and many more drugstore displays! Wouldn't have thought 'a fushcia gloss' would be this tough to find!

      Delete
  19. I am in no ways a gloss lover but these tempt me, especially after seeing your review and pics, they look so pretty, I wonder if they would look the same on my pigmented lips though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The darker shades (205-208) are v well pigmented, IMO! I wish brands would make tiny blister-packs of their entire range for glosses, especially. Impossible to try on!

      Delete
  20. I get this scent part... even when mangoes are among my favorite fruit, the fact that I was born in a place where mango is produces makes me strongly dislike artifical mango scents (like YSL's)... as for your shades, I took out and tried Chanel EdG Génie and I can tell you that it's lighter and sheerer than Corail Trapeze, it barely shows on my mauve pigmented lips (but I feel my lips are darker than yours), yet when I layered Chanel Coral Crush (a frosty coral) with Génie on top, I could achieve somthing similar to YSL -will post those pics some day soon.

    As for Fuchsia Oran, I feel Burberry Mallow Pink might look redder... I'm almost sure I own something similar to that, I will have to dive into my stash to take a look :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, I had a play with Genie too and it's more pigmented than Corail Trapeze, actually :) So I think you should definitely skip the YSL if even Genie doesn't show up on you.

      Mallow Pink turns out to be a close dupe for YSL 205 Rouge Shantung, much more coral than Fuchsia Oran. I was basing my earlier hunch on Cafe Makeup's swatches in our earlier convo, but it looks completely different on my skintone :/

      Thank you for helping me out :)

      Delete
  21. They look and sound great, but I'm very sensitive to smells. Maybe swatches before purchase in my case!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how these colors almost glow when applied! Like you, I hate most shimmery lip products, which is one of the reasons I own so few glosses. It's impressive when a brand manages to create a brilliant finish without resorting to bits of glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm trying so hard to resist this new line of glosses but you are sure making it hard. ;P The finish looks TDF, kind of creamy but jelly. Like Japanese pudding. Or mango pudding. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete