Pages

Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Korean lipstick series: Laneige Serum Intense LR08 Flare Magenta

Making a virtue of my continued eyeshadow-neglect (dammit, spring! stop it with the pollen already), I present the first in a series (remember my epic gift card Innisfree haul?) of Korean lipstick reviews!

Laneige Serum Intense is a new formula launched for spring 2014, with twenty vibrant shades and incorporating a so-called 'LED pigment downsizing technology' (....google translate?) to guarantee true, clear colour in an unctuous, high-glide base.


The shade I was sent to try is one of the four headliners, LR08 Flare Magenta (sometimes mis-Anglicised as 'Flair Magenta' even on the official site/packaging), which is a clear, briiiight, hot pink, with, I actually do think, a true-to-copy, novel way of suspending pigment that makes for a lit-from-within 'LED' brightness. (Distinct from either the clear or neon brights of the past, or the gleaming finishes of squishy jelly, classic gloss, or creamy lipstick, it's a quality I've only otherwise encountered in the new Dior Fluid Sticks, and I think a result of a genuine innovation.)

Hopefully these comparison swatches will illustrate this -- see how Mona Lisette and Flare Magenta share a common stained-glassiness? Distinct from the equally loud Guerlain Rouge G Girly, which has a more opaquely creamy brightness. Guerlain Rouge Autos in Reflex [LE Holiday 2013], with its white base, and Chamade, with its soft warm rosiness, look noticeably more muted in contrast (more pastel and soft respectively). In contrast, I said. I know these are all fairly eyeball-searing :D
all swatches one swipe, except for Mona Lisette, which is two (more for evenness than to build pigment)
As for warmth, a makeupalley poll came out inconclusive, and I still dunno what neutral-hyphenated? temperature to call it. However, to my eye/on my skin, Flare Magenta both swatches and applies true to tube, so let's just keep calling it HOT.
(Lunasol Sheer Glossy Eyes EX-01 Nuance Grey and EX-04 Peach Beige on eyes, Etude House Blueberry Cheesecake cream blush on cheeks.)

As you can tell, the texture is indeed a serum-like, gel-cream, which melts onto and glides effortlessly across the lips;  it borders on having too much slip for me; the formula doesn't bleed / sink into lines / migrate as the even slicker Visée Creamy Lipsticks did, but it can get a little messy on application and entail some cleanup of lipline edges with a q-tip or (as I prefer) a concealer brush. The lightweight, unsticky feel and stained-glass glossiness is very flattering on vertical liplines, giving a subtle plumping effect that looks more modern than a heavier lacquered-glossy finish.

Wear is pretty decent -- much better than you might expect from this glossy a formula. After a meal a strong, even stain is still evident -- Flare Magenta fades to a midtone pink-red. On my very dry, picky lips, this formula is very, very slightly drying, but that's easily mitigated by a thin layer of a waxy balm underneath (which is how I wear 99% of lipsticks), and the formula is pigmented enough not to be sheered out / muted down by a bit of balm.

Scent/taste: thankfully faint (most other Korean brands leave me reeling upon uncapping), slightly sweet and rosy, very quick to fade.

Packaging: the Serum Intense lipsticks come in a fairly sleek, no-nonsense twist-up silver inner tube encased in clear plastic, which again picks up the lit-from-within theme. All edges are slightly rounded, and it's neither obnoxiously heavy nor flimsily light.
shown here with one of the new Laneige quads in 6 Classy Mood, which I'll review another day

Head on to makeup-box for swatches of the full range -- any catch your eye? It's a vibrant lineup, very much in tune with the currently dominant Korean clean-face-bright-lips trend.

Disclosure: the Laneige products in this post were sent free of charge for consideration.

37 comments:

  1. Gah, I wish my mom had brought some of this stuff back from Korea instead of the Lirikos skin care hoard. Love the brightness of this lipstick and I love the clean face/bright lip trend. Perfect for spring. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mothers are so unreliable! Knowing mine, she'd probably have brought back half a dozen lipsticks...all of them for herself :D

      Delete
  2. Goodness me! These look amazing. I shall have to see if I can beg, plead and bother a friend to grab a few for me. See what you've done? ahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D fortunately Laneige is expanding aggressively across Asia! Hopefully should be manageable :)

      Delete
  3. But GOSH is that color so lovely on your lips!

    that quad case looks nice and sleek, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'tis all rather dainty for me! *galumphs into Laneige, knocks over expensive new serum bottles*

      Delete
  4. Wow, SO bright!!! You look amazing with bold colors. They really stand out on you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 ty, Sunny! I love how pretty soft colours are on YOU!

      Delete
  5. I can definitely see how the Laneige and Dior swatches differ from the others--they share a three-dimensional quality, making the other colors look almost flat by comparison.

    By the way, I love when you review products that are unavailable in the US: my wallet is safe for at least another post! Though of course these swatches have cemented my resolve to acquire a Fluid Stick...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssss! Not mad <3 Thank you for getting me :)

      *cough* I hear tell that there are physical Laneige counters/displays in CA/NY at least now. Can it be long before the hallyu floods the whole of the US?

      Delete
  6. Hot, haute or hawt, this lippy takes the prize! It's not my shade but, Twinkling Coral will be mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one I've asterixed for future ponderings! :D Really, this shade range is dangerously tempting.

      Delete
  7. This colour is amazing on you! The other headline colours are a bit hard to get :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no, really? They did seem to wink out of stock in HK for the first month or so of release but stock levels seemed to have stabilised by the time I left.

      Delete
    2. I got a few online last month. The Yr25 neon orange is said to be dc on Korean site. I was trying to buy from k department shop. Btw ysl 52 is back in stock on us site too.

      Delete
  8. You know what's lit from within? YOUR SKIN.

    Flare Magenta was the only colour I considered getting, but given that I'd purchased 3 fuchsia lipsticks in the last month, I was worried about ending up with a fourth dupe. But wheee, it doesn't look like it here! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what this would look like on you! Based on the increasing no. of Dior FS reviews (looking v different on everyone) my pet theory about this 'LED' gen of pigments staying true seems to be a fail, lol

      Delete
  9. Now, I felt so USELESS for spending almost a month in Asia and not getting a decent beauty haul, including Laneige which littered every shopping mall in Taiwan & Singapore +DFS in between. Oh well, more reason to travel back again in the future, right? Love this color & the color range of this lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT! And you had such wonderful food adventures, which are definitely more important than even bright lipsticks.

      Delete
    2. Oh, food, yep, that momento.. the few pounds of love handles to show for :-D yet I'm still missing the abundance of street food/shops.

      Delete
  10. Love it! I do very much hope it's possible to find on Amazon/ evil bay. But... do I even need more lipstick?! Eeeh. You're such a temptress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am! I really like Koreadepart for an etailer -- good prices, lots of samples, quick shipping (intl).

      Delete
  11. Wow thats a stunner on you! I love these LED lippies, went a little crazy during my long-weekend trip to Seoul and got 4 of them, including this one. They have these new lip tints out too, but didn't wanna freak my friend out by purchasing a gazillion lippies... So I thought I'd check them out at the airport. Poopie decision as only skincare was available at duty free. Laneige makeups are pushing all the right buttons for me, after falling off my radar for years with their meh-for-me skincare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. \o/ Which are the other three you got? They are wonderful! Definitely a winner, and I completely agree about the skincare putting one off the brand. Very curious about these liptints now... dare I push my luck? :D

      Delete
  12. All these clear vibrant shades are perfect with your skin! Excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird, but I really do find K brand colours generally v easy to wear -- even shades I usually have problems with are likely to have some tweak that make them flattering.

      Delete
  13. I love a fantastic Magenta so much and the jelliness of this is exquisite (another wishlist item to add)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *head explodes* I officially give up on trying to describe/capture this colour. Magenta? D:

      Delete
  14. That's some intense BARBIE action going on on them lips there. O_O Looks really nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's VERY pahnk :D But I think I'm coming to the end of my bright pink expansionist phase. Time to start culling soon.

      Delete
  15. Oh my goshhhhh. I'm swooning a little here. I'm going to Korea later this year and ACK!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :O I hatchu! Test all the lipsticks! Eat all the things! Re-apply all the lipsticks!

      Delete
  16. I knew it! The moment I saw Laneige on your title was when I realized you'll be luring me with your magic words back to the Korean MU rabbit hole. Did you try the new JS lipsticks that came out in HK a week ago? I have all the shades and 12 is such a great color. It's bright but soft at the same time so it doesn't float on your face. It's simiar in shade to Suqqu's fall 2013 LE in Benisango.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also what did you think of the L'oreal purple sunscreen you brought to UK? Was it any good? I want to add it to my japanese order before the box ships out.

      Delete
    2. this is one of the few formulas that worked for me from K brands actually! :P So you're relatively safe. I'm in the UK, not HK, so haven't tried the new JS things. Is the formula the same as the spring ones?

      I like the L'Oreal but it's definitely got that typical PA++++ shininess. It's not sticky on me, but my normal-skinned mother said it made her foundation wear off a lot quicker. The tint doesn't register at all on me, so I call gimmick on that. Also, fairly strong floral fragrance, though if you like Jill Stuart you'll be able to deal with that ;)

      Delete
    3. Sheesh I didn't expect you to reply so soon! I knew you were in the UK but you posted about their summer collection before so I thought maybe you went and had a swatch. The formula is similar to the spring one, with the same jelly creamy balm feeling and the spring, ever-so-JS-style colors. I swear I've been wearing nothing but these babies. I'm glad I bought 11 and 12 in doubles, these go down fast because the stick is a little soft, so I used up about 40% of my first #10, Cherry Blossom in 3 months (best usage rate ever). It seems like none of the PA++++ stuff have got that great texture the PA+++ stuff had, hopefully they're going to come out with a better finish next year.

      Delete
  17. oh i'm so glad you got to try this, and you totally rocked it!! Reminds me to rotate out mine as well.... *buried deep in there*

    ReplyDelete